Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Agree, well on top but didn't take our chances. Ronan has been poor imo. He needs to step up it, get on the ball more and be better in possession. Collins at back wouldn't look out of place at senior.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    So far all the debutants have done well. Bazunu has looked calm and dominant. McNamara hasn’t been amazing but you can see why they like him. Good composed footballer. O’Connor’s deliveries have been good from set pieces and he’s been an outlet for his centre halves and for Elbouzedi. Nat Collins has been really impressive.

As for the rest of the side, collectively we need to take our chances. Idah, Collins, Knight and Elbouzedi probably should have all scored and didn’t. Elbouzedi has shown both his qualities and his weaknesses. Not enough lads are breaking into the box.

They’ve really missed Molumby and his presence and driving and leadership. Kilkenny has been anonymous so far. Would think that Mandriou might come on for Knight and someone for Kilkenny…

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Nice finish from Elbouzedi, after nice link up play by knight with cross from Idah, step over from Ronan. 1-0. Let’s push on. Dominating performance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Another red card, so O'Shea misses the Sweden game on Tuesday. It wasn't a great decision by the ref. Any contact between the two players was minimal, and the Armenian player made sure to go down.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Excellent 1-0 win in Armenia. Hanging on a bit in the end after losing O'Shea to a red card, but good performance. Bring on Sweden next week.

Debutants did well - Bazunu didn't have a lot to though but did make a couple of solid saves second half. He looks to be a fantastic prospect although he needs to work on his kicking and distribution over the next couple of years. McNamara was solid if not spectacular. O'Connor a bit better going forward, has a nice left foot, appears to be a better option than Leahy. Collins looked assured and will start again vs Sweden.

O'Shea was good again. Red card probably justifiable though being last man despite an innocuous crossing of legs. Coventry was very good first half faded a bit second. Such a sharp passer. Knight didn't have the greatest of games but came into it in the second half, Molumby will be back in here next week. Ronan showed some touches of class in the second half, playing a bit better than the previous 2 games when he had come back from a lengthy lay off. Kilkenny was poor enough. Elbouzedi ran his socks off. Although he was wasteful at times, he took his goal very well and made some important runs when it counted at the end. Idah gets a 10/10 for effort, he did well for our goal - but he didn't set the world alight again, struggling without the appropriate support up front. It's a thankless task.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Any word on Masterson? Could do with him vs Sweden now, although Scales will be a reasonable option and is experienced. I wonder how bad the injuries to the 5 who pulled out were? The prospect of any 5 leg journey to Eastern Europe certainly has the potential to exacerbate any muscle strains .....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Didn't take our chances and holding on at the end following the sending off. And we were helped with their number 10 going off injured. But given the numbers of players we were missing, getting the win is the positive to take. Sweden have called up a couple of their U21s to the seniors so weaker (on paper) than the first game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Do you have to provide a squad to UEFA a certain amount of time before a game, or could players like Parrot be in both the Monday and Tuesday night squad?

I think Mc Carthy is doing the right thing by the way bringing u21s up to senior for the week to have a look at them. The reality is that we're probably looking at ending up in a play off in March and maybe Mick would prefer bringing players up to the seniors now and getting them acquainted to the senior squad, in case they take off over the winter playing in the premier League or whatever

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Do you have to provide a squad to UEFA a certain amount of time before a game, or could players like Parrot be in both the Monday and Tuesday night squad?

I think Mc Carthy is doing the right thing by the way bringing u21s up to senior for the week to have a look at them. The reality is that we're probably looking at ending up in a play off in March and maybe Mick would prefer bringing players up to the seniors now and getting them acquainted to the senior squad, in case they take off over the winter playing in the premier League or whatever
    I think the likes of Parrott and Travers could theoretically be used in both squads if we wanted them to...

Long time since I've seen Keena play. He really didn't look like a speedster there. Was like he was running really fast with maximum effort but his legs were up to the knee in mud and his body just wasn't moving...

I wonder who was the slowest Irish striker over the past 20 years?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think the likes of Parrott and Travers could theoretically be used in both squads if we wanted them to...

Long time since I've seen Keena play. He really didn't look like a speedster there. Was like he was running really fast with maximum effort but his legs were up to the knee in mud and his body just wasn't moving...

I wonder who was the slowest Irish striker over the past 20 years?
    If you're including Northern Irish players, definitely Niall McGinn
    I have a head only Snow White would love

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...en-964697.html

Good news, Masterson returns for Tuesday's game, so will be a back 4 of both O'Connors, Masterson and Collins. Presumably, Bazunu to continue in goal as no word on Kelleher returning yet.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000
    O'Connor a bit better going forward, has a nice left foot, appears to be a better option than Leahy.
    Leahy has been one of our best players when fit to be fair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    He plays LOI - therefore just a token place on the team in tommyc’s eyes...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He plays LOI - therefore just a token place on the team in tommyc’s eyes...
    Great contribution as always SkStu. Leahy has been very solid with the under 21s this year, particularly from defensive aspect. From the glimpses I’ve seen from O’Connor at Gillingham he probably offers more going forward. O’C did well vs Armenia although he wasn’t really tested defensively. Let’s see how he does vs Sweden.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    i wouldn't go that far now. he was pretty poor early on, struggling to remember now but probably Luxembourg and the first game or two of Toulon - hit long balls to no one and long balls straight out of play when put under pressure rather than having the confidence of trying to pass his way out.

But there was definitely serious growth by the end of the Toulon tournament, both defensively and offensively and in confidence and decision making. There was a moment somewhere either against Brazil or Mexico where he did something which made me stop and realise that he was a different player to the start of the campaign...

I still think Trev Clarke is probably the best of all the left backs. But it's genuinely a good thing that you've got Leahy, Clarke and O'Connor who are now good left backs at that level. O'Connor is probably the most composed and neatest footballer and the best passer, Leahy is defensively solid, strong, assured and consistent. Clarke is the fastest, the most aggressive both attacking and tackling and the most natural dribbler and maybe the best crosser although he does fluff a fair few but when they're good, they're very good. Meanwhile you've got Tyreke Wilson who there have been good reports about at Man City this season and Kam Ledwidge who is still an U19 but should be ready for 21s by the next campaign... All in all, Kenny has gone a very good job in broadening the pool of players who you would have decent hopes for. He obviously doesn't work in a bubble and player development at club level is equally important but it's a very refreshing shift from the previous management where squads were limited and promising players like Jack Byrne, James Talbot, Daire O'Connor, Daniel Kelly, Daniel Cleary, Dylan Connolly were never included in a single squad despite being as good as their counterparts in the squad...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Leahy has been good in every 21s game he's played and deservedly has been kept in the team whenever fit. I do think he might just be lacking that bit of pace to be a top player but he's definitely good enough to make a career at a higher level. O'Connor and Clarke are promising in that position - and have that extra bit of pace - so he'll have to work hard to get back in.

edit: on players not included, Daniel Kelly was playing Leinster Senior League when he was 21. Can hardly be criticising King for leaving him out when he had yet to make the step up to league football.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 19/11/2019 at 2:25 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Any word on whether Parrott is linking up with under 21s or not? Looking forward to the game. As well as the under 19 game. A feast of football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Interview with the Swedish manager by Stockholm-based Irish journalist Philip O'Connor
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Any word on whether Parrott is linking up with under 21s or not? Looking forward to the game. As well as the under 19 game. A feast of football
    Looks like it!

https://www.the42.ie/troy-parrot-ire...97313-Nov2019/

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is this on tele?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,