Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    "Talk is cheap" - Stephen Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Yes, I feel there has been subtle favoring of the LOI players when there are better alternatives. Not clearly overt and pervasive yet, but something I hope won’t become a signature of his tenure.

Scales is playing out of position at left back when there are better options. And Knight (featuring regularly in championship) or Kilkenny (featured twice in league cup for a premier league side) are clearly better alternatives to Elbouzedi, who has done nothing to impress me otherwise when he’s played this year for the u21s. We need to nurture the talent who are positioned better to make something of their careers
    The constant League of Ireland bashing from you is becoming tiresome.

Kenny picks the team he thinks strongest. If it were as you suggest, he'd just start a LOI XI.

A player who has played two league cup games is a far better option than a player playing regular first team football now? Maybe Mick is getting it spot on with the senior team after all. Let's stick with players not playing first team football, that'll get results.

Scales and Elbouzedi done alright tonight I thought. They didn't look a bit out of place against a more illustrious opposition.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Really thought idah did well some great hold up play and link play and the pace to spin in behind he gave those Italian centre halves a tough night. He has a lot of physical development to do but for an 18 year old he is a serious prospect

Kelleher did great for his save and his passing really helped us get on the front foot.

Masterson is so silky able to bring our midfielder s into it and also has that defensive ability. Really happy Kenny has given Masterson his chance and seen what he brings to a side who want to play from the back. Another lad who is going to really benefit from physical development over the next few years.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    I'd like to see McCauley be called up for Iceland as a striker option off bench as you would imagine idah and obafemi will start in Iceland which leaves us no striker on bench. Hopefully he starts against bohs tomorrow night and makes impression

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Thought we improved tonight when Ronan went off, he wasnt controlling the game like Ive seen him do before.

I was critical of Idah in 1st half but 2nd half he was excellent and I finally see something in him that I hadnt before.

Thought Elbouzedi was pretty average, I would have Kilkenny ahead of him. Thought Scales did very well though. There is definitely a place for LOI player involvement and not just as tokenism as some people think.

When is the last time the senior team had 2 players in the middle of the park willing to get on the ball like the 2 lads for the 21s. Coventry and Molumby are the heartbeat of this team, both of them are brilliant and exciting for the future.

I think the biggest thing we can say is that the hype surrounding this team is real. We were up against one of the top teams at this level tonight and we can only dream of a day when the seniors will go toe to toe with one of the big nations and look like they were possibly the better team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The constant League of Ireland bashing from you is becoming tiresome.

Kenny picks the team he thinks strongest. If it were as you suggest, he'd just start a LOI XI.

A player who has played two league cup games is a far better option than a player playing regular first team football now? Maybe Mick is getting it spot on with the senior team after all. Let's stick with players not playing first team football, that'll get results.

Scales and Elbouzedi done alright tonight I thought. They didn't look a bit out of place against a more illustrious opposition.
    I respectfully disagree. I do think ensuring LOI players are involved does come into Kenny's thinking at the present time.

I am entitled to give an unbiased opinion as a person who has no affiliation with either the LOI or British football, even if this is tiresome to you. My opinions are focused on what I think is best for our national team, apologies if I don't have a too high of an opinion of the LOI but you shouldn't take it personally. In any case, I am sure you'll get your typical support off the other LOI hardliners here.

I respect that some on here are heavily involved in the LOI and are doing fantastic work at grassroots level. With the new look FAI, and the discussions Mooney is having at the moment, perhaps the league will continue to improve in the coming years. I have no issue with LOI players playing u21 if they are good enough and better than alternative options. Darragh Leahy has been doing a solid job LB for example. My gripe is with the selection of Scales at LB and Elbouzedi specifically, as outlined in my previous post.

And breaking down what you said above, I agree Scales had a good second half today, he was done badly by the Italian winger on one occasion in the first half, and we nearly paid for it. He was clearly playing out of position and did well as a makeshift LB even if he looked very uncomfortable in first half. But there were clearly better options. McNamara to RB, O'C to LB; Collins in and O'Shea to RB with O'C to LB; or perhaps even Ledwidge a natural LB ahead of Scales. And this is not to even mention Thomas O'Connor who is playing regularly on the left for Gillingham, and he is not even in the squad.

Elbouzedi was poor in the first half, on one occasion he had a terrible touch allowing the ball to run out of play, in addition to giving the ball away cheaply on a couple of occasions. In the second half he improved and delivered two good balls into the area (one from the right and one from the left), but other than that didn't do much else. In the games I've seen him play for Ireland this year, he has not impressed me, he lacks pace and hasn't beaten too many full backs, very average. I'd say something if he was tearing up the LOI, but in the 2 years he has started 24 games got 5 goals and I have't noticed too many headlines, yes injury has also played it's part, but he's clearly not tearing up the league. Knight has had 7 league appearances already this season for Derby, as well as his league cup experience. Kilkenny had a great preseason with Bournemouth, and has two league cup starts this year. These are 2 great prospects for the future and are potentially going places. To my eye, they should clearly be starting ahead of Elbouzedi, who for me is highly unlikely to play football at a high enough level to be a viable senior footballer candidate.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Overall very impressive performance without anyone really standing out as ready to step in to the senior team. Great result once we follow it up against Iceland.

Regarding the team selection, I don’t think it’s as simple as selecting the players that have played the most games at the highest level. There has to be a balance to the team. Having a left footed, defensive left back allowed Parrott have a little bit more freedom down the left. Having a grafter that gave genuine width on the opposite side helped shut down their highly rated left back.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    547 Posts
    Good performance overall, well deserving of a point. Probably didn’t do enough to win it outright but saying that Kelleher was a virtual bystander unlike his Italian counterpart. Think we might have won it with Connolly there. It’s a real dilemma for Kenny, I think Parrott is a lot more dangerous in the centre than out wide but that’s probably also true for Idah, Afolabi and Obafemi.

Masterson, Coventry and Molumby stood out to me. Coventry has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year and he’s built a real partnership with Molumby. Masterson won everything in the air and looked so composed on the ball.

I can understand why he played Scales at left back. Not that it’s ideal but Leahy and Clarke were injured. His choices were Ledwidge who is still an u19 or McNamara who is primarily a right back and personally I’ve never seen play. Scales did fine considering he was playing out of position. You might see him replaced against Iceland. It’d be an easier debut for whoever he chooses than against Italy.

Idah probably had his best game for the 21s, although he still looks raw. The Italians who were plenty big and strong and experienced couldn’t handle him at all.

Whoever said Elbouzedi lacks pace
    is wrong. He’s the fastest member of the squad after Obafemi. Whatever flaws he has, pace is not one. One of the goals he scored this season demonstrated that, the one he sprinted the pitch.

That freekick at 80mins had Danno Mandriou’s name all over it. Really think he would have scored it.

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I respectfully disagree. I do think ensuring LOI players are involved does come into Kenny's thinking at the present time.

I am entitled to give an unbiased opinion as a person who has no affiliation with either the LOI or British football, even if this is tiresome to you. My opinions are focused on what I think is best for our national team, apologies if I don't have a too high of an opinion of the LOI but you shouldn't take it personally. In any case, I am sure you'll get your typical support off the other LOI hardliners here.

I respect that some on here are heavily involved in the LOI and are doing fantastic work at grassroots level. With the new look FAI, and the discussions Mooney is having at the moment, perhaps the league will continue to improve in the coming years. I have no issue with LOI players playing u21 if they are good enough and better than alternative options. Darragh Leahy has been doing a solid job LB for example. My gripe is with the selection of Scales at LB and Elbouzedi specifically, as outlined in my previous post.

And breaking down what you said above, I agree Scales had a good second half today, he was done badly by the Italian winger on one occasion in the first half, and we nearly paid for it. He was clearly playing out of position and did well as a makeshift LB even if he looked very uncomfortable in first half. But there were clearly better options. McNamara to RB, O'C to LB; Collins in and O'Shea to RB with O'C to LB; or perhaps even Ledwidge a natural LB ahead of Scales. And this is not to even mention Thomas O'Connor who is playing regularly on the left for Gillingham, and he is not even in the squad.

Elbouzedi was poor in the first half, on one occasion he had a terrible touch allowing the ball to run out of play, in addition to giving the ball away cheaply on a couple of occasions. In the second half he improved and delivered two good balls into the area (one from the right and one from the left), but other than that didn't do much else. In the games I've seen him play for Ireland this year, he has not impressed me, he lacks pace and hasn't beaten too many full backs, very average. I'd say something if he was tearing up the LOI, but in the 2 years he has started 24 games got 5 goals and I have't noticed too many headlines, yes injury has also played it's part, but he's clearly not tearing up the league. Knight has had 7 league appearances already this season for Derby, as well as his league cup experience. Kilkenny had a great preseason with Bournemouth, and has two league cup starts this year. These are 2 great prospects for the future and are potentially going places. To my eye, they should clearly be starting ahead of Elbouzedi, who for me is highly unlikely to play football at a high enough level to be a viable senior footballer candidate.
    The fact you think Elbouzedi has been in the League of Ireland for two years shows how extensive your research is. And you seem to think he and Knight play in the same position too, which is odd.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Good performance overall, well deserving of a point. Probably didn’t do enough to win it outright but saying that Kelleher was a virtual bystander unlike his Italian counterpart. Think we might have won it with Connolly there. It’s a real dilemma for Kenny, I think Parrott is a lot more dangerous in the centre than out wide but that’s probably also true for Idah, Afolabi and Obafemi.

Masterson, Coventry and Molumby stood out to me. Coventry has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year and he’s built a real partnership with Molumby. Masterson won everything in the air and looked so composed on the ball.

I can understand why he played Scales at left back. Not that it’s ideal but Leahy and Clarke were injured. His choices were Ledwidge who is still an u19 or McNamara who is primarily a right back and personally I’ve never seen play. Scales did fine considering he was playing out of position. You might see him replaced against Iceland. It’d be an easier debut for whoever he chooses than against Italy.

Idah probably had his best game for the 21s, although he still looks raw. The Italians who were plenty big and strong and experienced couldn’t handle him at all.

Whoever said Elbouzedi lacks pace
    is wrong. He’s the fastest member of the squad after Obafemi. Whatever flaws he has, pace is not one. One of the goals he scored this season demonstrated that, the one he sprinted the pitch.

That freekick at 80mins had Danno Mandriou’s name all over it. Really think he would have scored it.
    Agree with you that we would have won it if Connolly was there (or should I say we would have had a better chance of winning the game). Sort of annoying that he was called up to the senior squad where he will not see too much action over the two games against Georgia and Switzerland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The fact you think Elbouzedi has been in the League of Ireland for two years shows how extensive your research is. And you seem to think he and Knight play in the same position too, which is odd.
    Just saw 2018, so he’s been there a year. Doesn’t change any of my assertions. Knight played right wing in Toulon. Yes he’s playing centrally with derby and he’s more of a central midfielder but he’s played wide a number of times... so no not very odd Charlie. Still a far option than the average Elbouzedi.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Just saw 2018, so he’s been there a year. Doesn’t change any of my assertions. Knight played right wing in Toulon. Yes he’s playing centrally with derby and he’s more of a central midfielder but he’s played wide a number of times... so no not very odd Charlie. Still a far option than the average Elbouzedi.
    24 games in two season is very different from 24 games in one season (when he's been injured for a couple of months) but you know that so I don't know why we're dancing around this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Whether Elbouzedi could be replaced by someone else is always a fair debate.

Accusing Kenny of awarding caps to domestic players as nothing more than a token gesture aimed at pleasing probably not a lot more than 20,000 hardcore league of ireland fans during a campaign in which we have a real chance of success and qualification is not a fair accusation and is not much short of idiotic.

15. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Whether Elbouzedi could be replaced by someone else is always a fair debate.

Accusing Kenny of awarding caps to domestic players as nothing more than a token gesture aimed at pleasing probably not a lot more than 20,000 hardcore league of ireland fans during a campaign in which we have a real chance of success and qualification is not a fair accusation and is not much short of idiotic.
    Exactly, Has Kenny not instilled any belief in u Tommy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Lots of positives, especially with the less heralded players stepping up. But as the tone set is negative, the team selection lacked width and we didn't really get anything out of Parrott playing him as we did. And from that, Connor Ronan, who was preferred in a more central role had a poor game - arguably our weakest player on the night. The discipline aspect is a worry, Molumby had another good game but there's a red card in him (lucky not to be sent off in Sweden btw).

I am entitled to give an unbiased opinion ...
    Your opinion isn't unbiased. It's clearly coloured by club address. And see the Ryan Nolan thread for reference here. But to be fair to you, every player in the squad selected can make a strong claim for a starting position in the team - and from that there will be clear divergence in opinion about who should/ should not be playing.
    Last edited by ifk101; 11/10/2019 at 7:15 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    L Bossin
    C Whelan
    D Kane
    R Delaney
    R Sweeney
    L Kinsella
    J Cullen
    J Shipley
    J McGrath
    R Hale
    S Donnellan

That was our starting eleven against Germany in the last game of our 2019 qualifying campaign.

Incredible that that was our Under 21 team less than a year ago.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Any news on Will Smallbone in the U21s? He was nominated for Premier League 2 player of the season last year along with Connolly (who won it) and Idah so he must be useful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I was there last night but I was behind the goal which makes it hard to form a decent opinion but here goes anyway.

I was really impressed by Idah. I thought he was a real handful and looked much more dangerous that Parrott, who really didn't seem to enjoy or suit playing wide.

I've not seen a replay but at the time I thought Parrott was lucky to stay on after the challenge that led to the 1st booking. But he took one for the team by getting Kean dismissed. Kean was clearly the best player on the park during his brief cameo. 11 v 11 I think we would have lost the game.

Molouby is lovely player to watch. He looks very comfortable with the ball at his feet and obviously has a bit of creativity in his game. But I was even more impressed by Coventry who was every bit as composed but with a more neat and tidy passing style.

Finally Lee O'Conner isn't a fullback. But he is an excellent player. The run infield he made to intercept an Italian counter attack towards the end showed that he was switched and has s bit of pace about him.

Excellent performance overall. If any side deserved to win I think it was us.

22. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Did anyone else think Michael Obefemi was overweight?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    thought obafami was much bigger in the flesh at the match last night. very stocky.

thought he was trying a little too hard to impress. some nice touches but gave the ball away cheaply at times when more simple options were on

Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast