Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championships

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Pretty unusual no updates in 4 days. Needing a hospital stay this long also is somewhat concerning. However, factoring in the publicity and the required flight home will lead medics on the more conservative side. Only report was that he progressively became weak and dizzy, to the point of needing to sit down. When trapp had his gastroenteritis, news release was pretty quick. Obviously a myriad of diagnoses possible, just hope it’s not serious and self-limiting
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 17/09/2019 at 11:43 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    892 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Not in great taste is hes still in hospital to be fair.....
    I'm sorry you took it that way. He was already home yesterday, it seems, and the time in hospital looks precautionary.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38509394.html

Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Pretty unusual no updates in 4 days. Needing a hospital stay this long also is somewhat concerning. However, factoring in the publicity and the required flight home will lead medics on the more conservative side. Only report was that he progressively became weak and dizzy, to the point of needing to sit down. When trapp had his gastroenteritis, news release was pretty quick. Obviously a myriad of diagnoses possible, just hope it’s not serious and self-limiting
    That we don't have a slavering pool of hacks grubbing for a scoop no matter what helps with stories like this. It's a small world here for sports journalists and their sources, so journalists wouldn't usually bite the hand that feeds the. And someone like Kenny, well-liked and a good interviewee, would be given privacy quicker than, say Delaney. With Trap, his age meant that any illness could shake confidence in his ability to manage the team; ageist, I suppose, but a factor. Anyway, it looks that whatever affected Kenny wasn't imminently serious, but it takes time to run a battery of tests and get the results for an all-clear. Better safe than sorry.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I'm sorry you took it that way. He was already home yesterday, it seems, and the time in hospital looks precautionary.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38509394.html

That we don't have a slavering pool of hacks grubbing for a scoop no matter what helps with stories like this. It's a small world here for sports journalists and their sources, so journalists wouldn't usually bite the hand that feeds the. And someone like Kenny, well-liked and a good interviewee, would be given privacy quicker than, say Delaney. With Trap, his age meant that any illness could shake confidence in his ability to manage the team; ageist, I suppose, but a factor. Anyway, it looks that whatever affected Kenny wasn't imminently serious, but it takes time to run a battery of tests and get the results for an all-clear. Better safe than sorry.
    You are right, was reading today about Gareth Thomas said that a certain british tabloid blackmailed him into going public that he has HIV. Dont know how that newspaper is still in business! Thankfully the journalists in Ireland seem to have a lot more integrity.

Anyway, good news to hear that he is home and it was nothing too serious.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    First start for Ronan, after returning from injury as a late sub at weekend, in cup game today for FC DAC. Great timing, should be included in squad for Italy game now

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    The Italy game is a sell-out apparently, should be a cracking atmosphere.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    only problem with the free tickets for kids, students, season ticket holders etc. (which is a great idea as are the €5 tickets for adults) is when it's a sellout. i guarantee there'll be at least 1,000 probably more like 2,000 or 2,500 empty seats.

and now you've got fans who won't get in.

i think i've been to every home u21 game since they moved back to Dublin except for the afternoon midweek one against Israel. I normally take a mix of cousins, nieces and friends, the kids ranging from 6 to 16. Good to get the kids used to going to games, believing in the players we have and Tallaght is a nice little stadium, it feels pretty intimate. Maybe averaging 5 people per game. Think I'll still be able to source a few tickets from one avenue or another but... if anyone hears anything

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Both at first choice centre halves, Masterson and O’Shea, face off against each other today (on the bench)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Both at first choice centre halves, Masterson and O’Shea, face off against each other today (on the bench)
    Barbet the left sided centre half got sent off today for QPR hopefully half a chance for Masterson

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Any room for Ryan Nolan in the upcoming squad? He is currently our only centre half playing regular football outside of Ireland.

4 centre halves in most recent squad: O’Shea, Masterson, Scales, Collins. Will McCarthy call any of these up given injury crisis, or will he pick older options Clark/Williams/Lenihan?

O Shea and Masterson are there on merit given recent performances for the under 21s. Masterson should start for QPR midweek which will be an enormous boost going into the game. Collins has talent, but is still very raw. He is currently out of favor for more experienced players at Stoke but again he deserves his spot on his talent and recent first team exposure.

Scales hasn’t done much at u21 level for Ireland, and remains at UCD bottom of the Eircom League. He’s 22 next year and will never have played outside of Ireland. I have been underwhelmed the times I’ve seen him. All things consider, it is highly unlikely Scales will make it to a high enough club level to be considered for senior team. It’s hard to justify his selection ahead of a player who has come through Inter Milan’s academy, captained their Primavera team, and is now playing regular first team football at a level clearly higher than Scales. It would be a huge boost for Nolan and the exposure could certainly help his future career progression. It’s a no brainer to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    I’m not convinced that Serie C is better than the Airtricity League Premier Division.

16. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Want to bring 2 grandchildren to the U 21 Italy game. Problem is I dont have any tickets. Anyone out there who wont be using their tickets and I would be delighted to buy them. Many thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Scales hasn’t done much at u21 level for Ireland, and remains at UCD bottom of the Eircom League. He’s 22 next year and will never have played outside of Ireland. I have been underwhelmed the times I’ve seen him. All things consider, it is highly unlikely Scales will make it to a high enough club level to be considered for senior team. It’s hard to justify his selection ahead of a player who has come through Inter Milan’s academy, captained their Primavera team, and is now playing regular first team football at a level clearly higher than Scales. It would be a huge boost for Nolan and the exposure could certainly help his future career progression. It’s a no brainer to me.
    I'd love to know your thoughts on the bit in bold here. What makes Serie C 'a level clearly higher' than the Premier Division here?

Ryan McConnell was captain of Man United reserves only a few years ago and returned to Finn Harps and couldn't cut it at Premier Division level here. He's now playing Ulster Senior League football and not looking like making any step up again after a handful of appearances for Finn Harps and a year or two at Ballinamallard in the north.

What's to suggest that just because Nolan was captain of the same level of side at Inter Milan, and could only manage a move to a 3rd tier side in Italy is at a level clearly higher than Scales, who has 3 and a half years of senior football under his belt at 21 years of age? But Nolan playing 'regular first team football' is, what, 3 or 4 appearances?

The fact he's never played outside Ireland is enough to write Scales off in your estimation? Would he not boost from a similar exposure to help his future career progression?

This sort of nonsense infuriates me.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Interestingly whilst Darron Gibson was winning academy player of the year for a little club called Manchester United, a wee lad called Seamie Coleman was cutting his teeth for stellar Sligo Rovers.

I wonder which player we'd all have chosen back then.... (different positions aside)

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The “clearly” was a bit antagonistic to the LOI folks, I apologize for that.

I’ve no doubt Nolan is far more likely to make it to an acceptable level in order to be considered for our senior team. He has had state of art training thus far, and is now getting first team experience at the age of 20 at centre back, a position where one typically has to drop down a level or 2 to acquire initial experience like goalkeeper.

The Moldovan national league is ranked higher than the LOI (ranked 42 in uefa) at the moment, any centre back who spends all his career in this environment by the age of 21 is very unlikely to make it to a international senior level. Let’s hope the new look FAI can improve this standard, but this is where things stand currently. There is far more precedence of 20 year old centre backs spending a season or 2 in serie C after coming through top academies before maturing to serie A or top serie B teams. Logic and history is in Nolan’s favor, and he should be ahead of Scales in case he matures into a senior international prospect. There’s no harm Kenny having a closer look at him at the very least, he’s only ever played one friendly game underage for Ireland. If he flops, so be it, but at least we have had a look at him and have no regrets. Making the Irish under 21 squad will increase Nolan’s exposure and increase his chances of moving up a level next season.

Ive personally not been impressed with Scales in games I’ve watched him, he appears to lack mobility and is somewhat sluggish. He is strong and good in the air but that isn’t enough for me. All things considered, that’s enough for me to write him off given where he is right now, and career thus far. I’ll be delighted if he proves me wrong of course. If Scales proves himself outside of LOI then the pendulum may swing in his favor, but I believe he shouldn’t be included ahead of Nolan at the current time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Scales has trained and was on trial at Man City. He's not a typical league of Ireland footballer. And y'know there's plenty of lads who grew up in LOI who became serious players for the national team: Hoolahan, Coleman, Shane Long, Players are unique, there's no set path to guarantee success or failure. If you told me that one of Scales or Nolan or Dan Cleary played 40 times for Ireland during their career, I wouldn't be particularly surprised. If I had to guess which one, I'd probably go for Scales but I really think it's a dice roll

I thought Scales looked very good in the Toulon tournament against Mexico and Bahrain. Was probably our most impressive centre half in the tournament. I also liked what I saw of Nolan playing in the youth champions league last season and he's probably overdue a call-up somehow. There's also a host of other promising young centre backs currently at u21 level: Thomas O'Connor (also a left back and centre mid), Aaron O'Driscoll, Corrie Ndaba, Warren O'Hora, Darragh O'Connor (never seen play but have heard good things) and within LoI both Ciaran Kelly and James Finnerty looked very good when I saw them in person.

Honestly, golden era. Wave of attackers, wave of centre backs and keepers, plenty of midfielders. Comparatively speaking a little light at 21s for fullbacks but there's O'Connor at right back, and on the left you'd hope that one of Clarke, Leahy, Ledwidge and Wilson develops into a real player...

24. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    Scales has trained and was on trial at Man City. He's not a typical league of Ireland footballer.
    Actually, I think that makes him quite a typical LoI footballer! Lots will have had trials cross-channel.

The LoI's track record for producing players recently has been very poor; most who've gone to England in the past decade have failed to make it. Serie C is a complete unknown, but the average crowd 1.8k. There's 60 teams though, so it's very hard to compare it to the 10-team LoI. The top 10 teams pull in 5k average (Arezzo are just outside that), and there may be a TV deal in there as well, which is a huge issue for the LoI in terms of finances.

Obviously I hope Scalesy makes it, but I think at this stage there's not much point saying that one player will make it and one won't. Scales does need a full-time move in the next transfer window though.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 30/09/2019 at 8:01 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Grant Hall is back for QPR tomorrow so Masterson will be again on the bench. He’s basically their 5th choice centre back, and QPR play with 3 centre backs. Not a good situation for a player in desperate need of first team football at a pivotal time in his career

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Isn’t he very young for a Centre Back . Give him a chance . Maybe he will come good .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Nope. Write him off. And Dara O'Shea with him. Not to mention Nathan Collins- that lad is out of the Stoke team so he's clearly not able for that level either.

29. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Nope. Write him off. And Dara O'Shea with him. Not to mention Nathan Collins- that lad is out of the Stoke team so he's clearly not able for that level either.
    That’s petty. He dropped down a level hoping to get first team football. So it’s disappointing he’s not having more of a look in, considering the average centre backs at QPR.

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast