Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Perth's really does love himself
    Vinny Perth has plenty of self-confidence and belief in his own ability with a track record at Dundalk since 2013 to justify that. Don't confuse confidence with ego. I can supply you with some examples of managers with the later if it helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    I'll just make one last comment on this discussion about perth.
    He said words to the effect of "without me Stephen Kenny would not have been successful".
    Nonsense, he said nothing even close to that.

He did say this:

"I'd never be presumptuous. I felt - and probably still feel - that we were a very good team together. I think Stephen is a brilliant manager. I certainly would say what I brought to him helped him be a brilliant manager.

Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    OMG! ... Who does this guy think he is?
    Assuming you mean Vinny Perth ....... most people would be aware that he was the Assistant Manager and Coach to the Dundalk teams that have had outstanding success from 2013 - 2018. Among the honours in that 6 years are 4 league titles, 2 FAI Cups 2 League Cups, a couple of other minor trophies along with some exceptional European performances

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Cone carrier, who Kenny didn't rate, when he had the option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Cone carrier, who Kenny didn't rate, when he had the option
    Must’ve carried some amount of cones. It’s funny that it was Kenny who got Perth to go full time with Dundalk and give up his job last year. But you’re right, he didn’t rate him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Maybe what Kenny saw when he went full time was behind him ditching him.
    Must have been pretty bad as unusual for a manager to dump his side kick

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Maybe what Kenny saw when he went full time was behind him ditching him.
    Must have been pretty bad as unusual for a manager to dump his side kick
    You made up a quote a few posts back about Perth saying Kenny wouldn’t have been a success without him. As pointed out he said no such thing

Once I read that it’s obvs your a wum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Think you need to try Specsavers, not my post.

Don't be getting offended at me over vinnie getting ditched, it was Kenny who dumped him.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 22/03/2019 at 9:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I only read the independent article that summarised his quotes because I have little to no interest in hearing him talk about how great he is but one thing stood out for me. I may have gotten it out of context so apologies if thats the case.
    He mentioned that he "would have the same ambitions" as Stephen Kenny. Great. What are you doing about that? Why didn't you apply for a Pro License in the past? Why were you happy to be a part time coach (for a successful team) if you have that ambition until relatively recently? I can have ambitions to win the lottery but if I don't buy a ticket its never gonna happen. I can have an ambition to be an astronaut but I need to be working on an engineering or science degree among other things.
    I also appreciated his comments that the reasons he didn't get the job as Ireland Senior/U21 assistant manager were because of cost and his lack of a big name. If Kenny liked you enough as a coach they would have found a way to get you on the staff Vinny. Thats not to say that you can't go on and prove yourself worthy but you do not have the track record, qualifications or even ambition of Stephen Kenny who has been managing for over 20 years now and was willing to get his hands dirty with an unfancied regional team in the first division. He has moved to Derry and Scotland in order to realise that ambition and when his stock took a bit of a tumble due to bad results in Scotland and in Tallaght he took on another job with a team who didn't have a tonne of resources.
    You Mr. Perth on the other hand have only worked as an assistant or a caretaker since your playing career ended 12 years ago, and you have only worked for clubs you had a playing career with and so were already familiar with. You get some credit for joining that same Longford team Kenny took over as manager at but less so because you were a player there. If you had any real ambition you'd have gone to some god awful team to get your managerial career started. Your managerial career only exists because of luck and circumstances. You took over the best team in the country with the most resources which to be fair adds pressure but also makes it much easier to succeed. You will get some credit if you win the title but not as much as if you had built a team from scratch like Kenny did several times over.

If I was gonna describe Perth based on the quotes I read (possibly out of context) in this interview in one word, that word would be delusional. Apologies for the rant, I originally only planned to write a few lines but it got away from me very quickly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Think you need to try Specsavers, not my post.

Don't be getting offended at me over vinnie getting ditched, it was Kenny who dumped him.
    The obsessed about have become the obsessive...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I only read the independent article that summarised his quotes because I have little to no interest in hearing him talk
    But yet you write a ridiculously long post about him. Could be a great post (doubt it though) but my life isn't sad enough yet to read all that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    But yet you write a ridiculously long post about him. Could be a great post (doubt it though) but my life isn't sad enough yet to read all that
    But it is sad enough to reply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dude

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I only read the independent article that summarised his quotes because I have little to no interest in hearing him talk about how great he is but one thing stood out for me. I may have gotten it out of context so apologies if thats the case.
    He mentioned that he "would have the same ambitions" as Stephen Kenny. Great. What are you doing about that? Why didn't you apply for a Pro License in the past? Why were you happy to be a part time coach (for a successful team) if you have that ambition until relatively recently? I can have ambitions to win the lottery but if I don't buy a ticket its never gonna happen. I can have an ambition to be an astronaut but I need to be working on an engineering or science degree among other things.
    For a chap who admits he has little interest in the subject you certainly have a lot to say - and frankly much of it is ill informed.

Vinny has shown plenty of commitment and ambition - he left the security of a good career to go full-time with Dundalk in June 2018, and has combined a demanding external career with coaching since he joined Dundalk in January 2013. His success in that time has been phenomenal. The enormous time demands of combining these two meant the 18-month pro licence course was not feasible previously; as you may know he is now on the current pro course.

You have chosen to make comparisons between VP and one of the most successful managers in the league's history on the basis of VP saying "he has the same ambitions". That clearly does not make any sense - ambition is not the same as a track record of achievement. Time will tell about his ability to step up to another level.

You might hope he fails, and presumably that would colour your view.

There is a lot of faith in his abilities in Oriel Park and his say-it-as-it-is style is fast gathering him cult status with fans of the club

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I'm sure I can't be alone in suspecting that Ez's contribution here would have been very different if it was Bradley talking, not Perth.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'm sure I can't be alone in suspecting that Ez's contribution here would have been very different if it was Bradley talking, not Perth.
    It's not the same thing though. Bradley has spent a lot of money at Rovers and achieved nothing. He has nothing to brag about. Budget up again this year, league or bust for him.

Perth has been an important part of the most successful LOI team ever. Confidence and belief is what got this team where they are. Perth as part of this setup from the beginning has that, don't misinterpret it like most have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    It's not the same thing though. Bradley has spent a lot of money at Rovers and achieved nothing. He has nothing to brag about. Budget up again this year, league or bust for him.

Perth has been an important part of the most successful LOI team ever. Confidence and belief is what got this team where they are. Perth as part of this setup from the beginning has that, don't misinterpret it like most have
    Hoo ha.....I love the smell of creeping fear in the morning

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    You know f**k all about the Rovers budget so don't embarrass yourself further by using it as a deflection from the point made by pineapple stu.

Perth has moved from being the monkey to being the organ grinder.
    We wait with baited breath to see how he handles it, particularly the European campaign, because you can be $hit-sure that is what your American owners are looking closely at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    If Kenny rated perth he would have brought him with him, hence the falling out,.
    It doesn't mean he isn't a good coach Kenny may not be right after All.
    Although given how reluctantly he was given the top job I'd say peak6 agree with kenny

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts

I'd love to try some of whatever you're smoking

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast