Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Potential Dundalk Manager

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Obviously he's been a huge part of the success, and he's got the players sorted, so what the difference is will be a good insight into Kenny too.
    Rip Van Winkle is probably the only other one relying on Vinny Perth's future performance to gain an insight into Stephen Kenny's abilities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Very odd appointments by Dundalk, IMO.

Yes Vinny Perth has been Kenny's understudy for many years and will have an intimate knowledge of how he managed the club, but Perth has no managerial experience. I would've thought the logical choice would've been to bring in a manager of a serious calibre (and Dundalk can well afford to do so) and have Perth heavily involved so the status quo remains largely the same and Dundalk continue to drive forward.

Perhaps the most bewildering aspect of the whole announcement is John Gill's inclusion. Obviously he has the PRO licence so that ticks the badges box, but it seems like such a marriage of convenience / lazy option and little else. I heard Gill described as a cancer in his stint as assistant manager at Drogheda United under Pete Mahon and lets be honest, he hasn't exactly gone on to uproot any trees since winning the First Division with Dundalk a long time ago.

With where Dundalk are now as a club, surely they could've done better than Perth, Gill and Higgins? It seems a bit beneath them and underwhelming.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Very odd appointments by Dundalk, IMO.

Yes Vinny Perth has been Kenny's understudy for many years and will have an intimate knowledge of how he managed the club, but Perth has no managerial experience. I would've thought the logical choice would've been to bring in a manager of a serious calibre (and Dundalk can well afford to do so) and have Perth heavily involved so the status quo remains largely the same and Dundalk continue to drive forward.
    Have you an example of any manager of “serious calibre” who would take the job? I don’t think there was anyone suitable in Ireland and any decent manager abroad would already been in a job.

In my opinion this is a good option to carry on the good things that have been happening in the pitch. While Gill wouldn’t be my first choice, it’s clear he is Perth’s choice to fulfill the pro licence criteria and Perth will be the boss no matter what way it’s dressed up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Have you an example of any manager of “serious calibre” who would take the job? I don’t think there was anyone suitable in Ireland and any decent manager abroad would already been in a job.

In my opinion this is a good option to carry on the good things that have been happening in the pitch. While Gill wouldn’t be my first choice, it’s clear he is Perth’s choice to fulfill the pro licence criteria and Perth will be the boss no matter what way it’s dressed up.
    Dundalk could've brought someone in from the UK, I have no doubt about that - it's a very appealing job with the backing the club currently has, Champions League football is secured and an excellent squad is already assembled, so the new manager wouldn't have to do major surgery.

I would not have thought anybody in Ireland would've been seriously considered or approached by Dundalk. It seems like a really lazy "safe" appointment from the outside looking in.
    Last edited by Olander; 01/01/2019 at 5:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Dundalk could've brought someone in from the UK, I have no doubt about that - it's a very appealing job with the backing the club currently has, Champions League football is secured and an excellent squad is already assembled, so the new manager wouldn't have to do major surgery.

I would not have thought anybody in Ireland would've been seriously considered or approached by Dundalk. It seems like a really lazy "safe" appointment from the outside looking in.
    A journeyman UK manager is a much bigger risk than Perth and Gill. I’m glad we haven’t gone down the road of a Brian Laws or John Coleman type of appointment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    It seems like a really lazy "safe" appointment from the outside looking in.
    I'm very happy with "safe" for now, as are almost all Dundalk fans that I've spoken to. While it's hardly the most exciting appointment, it does make a lot of sense with all of our squad for next year already signed up. I'm sure any prospective new manager would have wanted their own players which wouldn't have been possible with the squad already in place for the next 12 months. This makes the continuity angle with VP feel like the right move for me. If the whole squad was out of contract and a new man could come in and build his own squad then I'd agree more with bringing in someone with proven managerial experience.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Bit of a joke that the FAI are ignoring their own rules. It's one thing doing it for an established manager who does not have the badges.. but for someone who has never done the job.. seems a bit mad.

Regina Coppinger raises a question of whether it will fly with UEFA: https://twitter.com/Regcoppinger/sta...11674688978944

https://twitter.com/Regcoppinger/sta...38287162028033
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    A journeyman UK manager is a much bigger risk than Perth and Gill. I’m glad we haven’t gone down the road of a Brian Laws or John Coleman type of appointment.
    You're jumping to an assumption that Dundalk could only appoint a journeyman if they brought in a manager from the UK.

Dundalk could've done their homework and brought in a serious manager from the UK that would drive them on. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 40-50 year old manager like Laws or Coleman.

Instead they've gone with the insular route and promoted their scout to assistant manager, appointed a guy as first team coach who has largely failed in his roles as assistant manager at St Pats, Rovers and Drogheda. Now the assistant has been made manager and Dundalk are hoping that by not rocking the boat that Perth will be able to carry on from where Kenny left off because last seasons squad remains largely intact. It seems like the "safe" option, but I wouldn't be so sure that Perth is the man to lead Dundalk forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I'm very happy with "safe" for now, as are almost all Dundalk fans that I've spoken to.
    Log on to Oriel Web, I wouldn't say almost all Dundalk fans are happy with the appointments. Many seem to think the club could've got someone better and don't see the point of Gill returning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

Regina Coppinger raises a question of whether it will fly with UEFA: https://twitter.com/Regcoppinger/sta...11674688978944

https://twitter.com/Regcoppinger/sta...38287162028033
    Who the hell is she?

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Who the hell is she?
    She did licencing for the FAI for about 10 years.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    the last licensing manager at the fai.
    Surprised at the strong tone

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Log on to Oriel Web, I wouldn't say almost all Dundalk fans are happy with the appointments. Many seem to think the club could've got someone better and don't see the point of Gill returning.
    While some may have wished for some unnamed serious calibre manager from abroad, the majority of Dundalk fans are behind the concept of continuity and the most obvious way to achieve this is by entrusting Vinny Perth with the job.

It remains to be seen exactly what role John Gill assumes (irrespective of the titles) but clearly Vinny Perth had a significant part in his appointment and agreeing the role.

Any appointment has an element of risk, but while this appointment is probably under-whelming as a news story and to many supporters, it is also likely to be the least risk option for Dundalk in the short term.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    She did licencing for the FAI for about 10 years.
    Ha, she's brave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Dundalk could've brought someone in from the UK.
    That was the one move I was hoping they would not go for, a guy from the uk with no experience of Irish Football.

This will be a challenging role for Perth, supported by Higgins and Gill, but it's the safer option in the medium term.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That was the one move I was hoping they would not go for, a guy from the uk with no experience of Irish Football.

This will be a challenging role for Perth, supported by Higgins and Gill, but it's the safer option in the medium term.
    Nice to see dundalk not following in Limerick's foot steps, we like our foreign useless yet expensive managers, anything limerick fc do obviously just do the opposite... easy 😎

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Will be interesting to see how it all works out. Continuity vs Experience. They'll win the League in my opinion but Europe is the benchmark in 2019.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Dundalk won the league easily last year, they've offloaded Connolly (,I doubt there is a fee but it doesn't matter) and replaced him with Kelly.
    Manager spanager , dundalk start deserved odds on favs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Dundalk won the league easily last year, they've offloaded Connolly (,I doubt there is a fee but it doesn't matter) and replaced him with Kelly.
    Manager spanager , dundalk start deserved odds on favs
    True, we can let him go for free then throw kitchen sinks at him to sign him back again as is our lauded transfer policy!

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast