Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Euro 2020 qualifying

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    To quote Steve Bruce. When him and Palister were getting too much mouth off Peter Schmeichel
    ."Get back in your goal you big German tart"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,651 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Sweden wasn't a complete once off though. One goal in two matches against NI and that from a farcical penalty decision. Serbia should have knocked them out in the WC group stage too even before Sweden beat them. They missed a host of chances and Mitrovic had a blatant penalty not given at 1-1 in the second half. Putting eleven past Iceland and Belgium in their two NL home games is pretty scary alright though to be fair.
    Afair, Switzerland played the most football and had the most chances in that WC game v Serbia, fortunate of course with that late goal but deserved overall.
    Perhaps it's not wise to read too much into UNL form for any team but they had 4 excellent performances culminating in arguably the game of the competition. I'd say it would be just as hard to beat a cohesive attacking team on the rise in Dublin as 4 or 5 of the other seeded teams with reputations.
    Our UNL campaign was a missed opportunity to 'transition' a new team, It will be interesting to see what Mick will go with but judging by his first interviews, he's already done his homework and ready to put in the hours.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    323 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The Swiss are the nr1 seeds, top of pot 1 . This Swiss team is the best Swiss team I have ever seen. They fell flat against Sweden but clearly they are a lot better than that performance, they have been making great strides with this coach they have.
    Funny not the best I have ever seen, and I live here!
    Take Shaqiri out and they are very doable. The coach is rubbish too, only realising now that he should be playing some home based players................hence the result V Belgium. Just imagine if he brought a few of them to the World Cup,a wasted opportunity.

International Prospect DeLorean's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Afair, Switzerland played the most football and had the most chances in that WC game v Serbia, fortunate of course with that late goal but deserved overall.
    Perhaps it's not wise to read too much into UNL form for any team but they had 4 excellent performances culminating in arguably the game of the competition. I'd say it would be just as hard to beat a cohesive attacking team on the rise in Dublin as 4 or 5 of the other seeded teams with reputations.
    Our UNL campaign was a missed opportunity to 'transition' a new team, It will be interesting to see what Mick will go with but judging by his first interviews, he's already done his homework and ready to put in the hours.
    My memory is that Serbia should've been out of sight by half time but the second half was more even. Not going to VAR for the Mitrovic incident was massive though. Great game actually!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Well that draw could have been a lot worse.
    Switzerland, Austria, Georgia and Gibraltar.
    Favourable fixtures as well, Gibraltar away to start and then Georgia at home, gives Mick a chance to bed in and get some points on the board.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Oops, I thought I posted that last week

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567