Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2020 Qualifying Group D

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Everyone go through the groups and pick ye're top two.. once that is done, you can calculate the play offs yourselves... or I'll do it.
    1 : Switzerland
    2 : Ireland
    3 : Denmark

No more needed about it

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    Anyone who actually watches football knows full well that Switzerland was the 2nd best draw we could have gotten. Worth remembering that a lot if this ranking is down to them cheating the system and not playing friendlies.
    I'd prefer the Swiss over the Dutch and the Italians but it's a fair point that the Swiss have generally navigated qualification pretty comfortably over the last decade and you can't say the same about Holland or Italy. Switzerland are a pretty formidable qualifying machine and thats what we're up against. They also beat Belgium 5-2 last week.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Here are the final placements of teams in all 4 Nations League groups.. so this will be what is used to place teams into the play off paths at the end of qualifying.

Group A - Top 4, but assuming 11-12 of them qualify, the Top 4 will be made from promoted teams.

Group B - Bosnia, Ukraine, Denmark, Sweden... then Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Turkey, Rep. Ireland, Norn Ireland.

As teams qualify their places in the play off spots are taken by the next team in the rankings, until all 4 spots are taken from the order above.. so like I said.. if 6 of the first 10 qualify, the other 4 go into the play offs and us and Norn Ireland lose out.

But if there are spaces left in A, then we go up to A to fill those spaces until they have four spaces filled too.

So if seven qualify directly, the next 4 spaces would include us, being the 11th in Group B.

Here are the final rankings of the groups..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...tions_League_A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...tions_League_B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...tions_League_C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E...tions_League_D

The whole thing makes the Nations League a very important mini league every couple of years because if you can get back into Group B, you'll pretty much guaranteed a play off spot at the least.

We'll be in C next time, but that'll decide seedings for the world cup draw. It's almost imperative that we win our next nations league group to get back into B going into the seedings for Germany 2024
    Yeah I get that, but as I said that assumes that - contrary to Article 16 of the regulations - that there is no draw to determine which teams go into which play off paths. I've come around to thinking Geysir's interpretation is right, but I still just think it's highly odd that UEFA specifically say a draw will be conducted to determine which play off path teams go into!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    1 : Switzerland
    2 : Ireland
    3 : Denmark

No more needed about it
    That's the spirit - Mick has always got us to second place, we now have a couple of strikers with immediate potential, our defence has been looking reasonably sound in the last few months (Wales drubbing aside), Coleman's back, Brady's back, McClean's back, James McCarthy will be back soon, Crowley's ready to come on board... if Rice comes back, we're flying.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    With MoN and Keane we had no hope going into these qualifiers, not even a sliver, just more muck. Now we are in a group where 2nd place looks dooable and it would give added pleasure to stuff it to the mouthy Danes, from dynamite to a damp squid.

7. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd prefer the Swiss over the Dutch and the Italians but it's a fair point that the Swiss have generally navigated qualification pretty comfortably over the last decade and you can't say the same about Holland or Italy. Switzerland are a pretty formidable qualifying machine and thats what we're up against. They also beat Belgium 5-2 last week.
    No way, especially the Dutch. Switzerland on paper are definitely the best team in the group but having good players hasn’t been their major problem.

Yes they had a good win over Belgium but for every big win like that you could find 2 or 3 results they have had that would give you hope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    A Danish newspaper describes the draw as a "dream" and us as "extremely primitive, defensive and limited". All good for us really.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    I know that's a journalist rather than anyone in the national tram setup, but that's exactly why I'd have liked Denmark or Switzerland first

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    A Danish newspaper describes the draw as a "dream" and us as "extremely primitive, defensive and limited". All good for us really.
    Frankly going on the past 24 months, that is exactly what we are. But whatever about the Swiss, the Danes can't say much given that in 4 games over 18 months, the main reason they beat us was because O Neill and Keane got a brainfart at half time in the play off game and took out the midfield defensive cover allowing Christen Erikkson the run of the Aviva.

They ain't any great shakes either.

People make big noise about Switzerland beating the "golden generation" Belgium too.. are people forgetting that Wales knocked the same Belgium out of the last Euro's just over two years ago in the quarter finals by three goals to one?

And Northern Ireland could easily have knocked them out of the World Cup in the play offs had they not conceded a very unlucky penalty kick?

Reality is, for the past few years.. we've been ****e. Really bad like.. being in the Aviva was a chore.. But we've been drawn against Switzerland and Denmark.. not Spain and Brazil

I think we'll see a few boring home and away draws against those teams if you asked me to put my house on it right now.

My biggest fear is that the group will be decided on goal difference and we'll lose out there.

But.. we'll be ready for the play offs after Mick has had the team together for 9 months

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The Swiss are the nr1 seeds, top of pot 1 . This Swiss team is the best Swiss team I have ever seen. They fell flat against Sweden but clearly they are a lot better than that performance, they have been making great strides with this coach they have.
    Sweden wasn't a complete once off though. One goal in two matches against NI and that from a farcical penalty decision. Serbia should have knocked them out in the WC group stage too even before Sweden beat them. They missed a host of chances and Mitrovic had a blatant penalty not given at 1-1 in the second half. Putting eleven past Iceland and Belgium in their two NL home games is pretty scary alright though to be fair.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I know that's a journalist rather than anyone in the national tram setup, but that's exactly why I'd have liked Denmark or Switzerland first
    Luas words, PS. But hopefully we win at a gallop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMRtDwwPk6Y
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Sweden wasn't a complete once off though. One goal in two matches against NI and that from a farcical penalty decision. Serbia should have knocked them out in the WC group stage too even before Sweden beat them. They missed a host of chances and Mitrovic had a blatant penalty not given at 1-1 in the second half. Putting eleven past Iceland and Belgium in their two NL home games is pretty scary alright though to be fair.
    To be honest I think Iceland's best form is behind them now, and they are sinking slowly back to their real level i.e. Pot 3/4 team. Why do you think I only want 6 teams to qualify from Group B, if we don't get out ourselves.. I'd fear Iceland less than almost any of the group B teams at the moment

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Probably. It's still impressive though regardless, eleven goals in two home games while we're struggling to muster up a shot on target.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    They were minutes away from beating France away last month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    If i know anything about how football works the Danes are setting themselves up for a massive humiliation.

If our lads aren't up for the games against them we may give up on them. I'd say they will the be ready to sweat blood to beat the arrogant *****s.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If i know anything about how football works
    No smart answers please!

21. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    They were minutes away from beating France away last month.

It was a friendly...irrelevant

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,688 Posts
    They scored more goals in that friendly than the number of times we got into France's half when we played them in May!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    They scored more goals in that friendly than the number of times we got into France's half when we played them in May!

Again...a friendly. Plus that plague is over now thank christ.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If i know anything about how football works the Danes are setting themselves up for a massive humiliation.

If our lads aren't up for the games against them we may give up on them. I'd say they will the be ready to sweat blood to beat the arrogant *****s.
    Something rotten over there alright.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast