Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your club's Greatest League in the world moment?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Mislaying the lid of the league trophy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Is it my imagination or did we once employ some kind of Samba band years ago to create atmosphere in the ground?? Someone else might be able to confirm that or not!
    They were there alright. Weren't employed though. There was some sort of event, can't remember exactly what it was, some sort of cultural thing and they were in the ground for a game. Strangest sight.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Limerick's chairman lambasting his players from the stands for lack of effort on the same day it was revealed wages weren't paid.

The same chairman making presentations to away fans at every home game in the first part of the season, as attendances plummeted.

A local columnist telling fans they have no right to complain about the state of the Market's Field pitch because all the club does is pay rent.

Bruff being "close to opening" indefinitely.

The Barcelona incident.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    One of the earliest I remember was Waterford starting a game with ten men because one of their players was stuck in traffic coming down from Dublin.
    After five minutes, they subbed on a player for no-one
    They tried to bring yer man on in the second half, but the ref refused to allow him on as he hadn't been in the ground at kick-off
    Three players stuck in traffic!
    Steve Brown and Joe Keith only flew in the afternoon of the game (another piece of stupidity in itself, but that's another story), and the flight got delayed. Karl Gannon was driving them down, so all three missed kick-off by a couple of minutes.
    Mike Flanagan expected Brown to be able to come on a few minutes late, but the ref apparently only informed the bench very close to kick-off that he wouldn't let any of them play, at any stage, so Mark Reid had to be hurriedly subbed on for nobody, which, by the time he was ready, was a couple of minutes into the match.
    Seemingly this was the letter of the law being applied, but given Longford had two late arrivals to the RSC allowed to tog off just the season before, it went down especially badly with the home crowd!

Another I remember a bit more foggily was The Colourblind Referee deciding that our blue and Bohs red & black looked the same in the rain. Whatever change strip Bohs brought was also deemed a clash (might actually have been more of one, can't recall), and there was a stand-off with the game looking in jeopardy, so Mr Buttimer prevailed upon the Waterford kitman to source a set of jerseys.
    He came up, I wouldn't dare to suggest somewhat mischieveously, with a set courtesy of local side Villa FC, who play in green and white hoops, which as you might imagine went down like a cup of cold sick.
    And as I've just been reminded, in the end Bohs played in Waterford's away colours. And it ended up a 0-0 draw, so they might as well not have bothered with the whole evening!
    Last edited by stann; 06/11/2018 at 10:32 PM.
    more bass

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    Playing a 'Home' game in Turners Cross.
    "This is not a halting site"

- Literally everything Tom Coughlan did. Like a cartoon villian by the end of it with his live on air melt down
    - Arkaga promising us a 30m stadium
    - signing Healy and Farrelly as the huge off season signings, only for the 3 club rule to kick in and stuck paying but not playing them for half a season.
    - Georgie vs Rico 'you know where the gate it' including solicitors letters in the press from Georgie. Also that time Georgie announced his international retirement in the media. Just Georgie in general really.
    - Managing to sell Denis Behan for the same price as Colin Healy (Delboy style)
    - Flower Lodge
    - Bishopstown

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Losing to an Albanian side who themselves were trying to throw the game

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Limerick's chairman lambasting his players from the stands for lack of effort on the same day it was revealed wages weren't paid.
    On a serious note, this has stayed with me ever since that night.

Now, I'm more relaxed about the chairman's spending than a lot of other fans, because after all, at least it was his own money he was spending, and, unquestionably, wasting.

But to hear him doing his usual 'come on lads get stuck it in' roaring, and then finding out that those players had gone out onto the pitch (and put in a damn good effort) after not getting paid...left a real sour taste in the mouth.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Stann! You're alive!

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I am indeed osarusan, ta, though I only come out for these memory lane threads these days!

A couple more that come to mind:

Belgian goalkeeper Dominique Wouferts being very impressed with the RSC when he was signed in 1993, and opining that if the training facilities were this good, he couldn't wait to see the stadium!

And the Brazilian phenomenon Tiao, just before my time this one, who arrived for the briefest of spells in the winter of 1986, came, saw and fecked off!
    He scored on his debut, then apparently brought a bag of sweets to the next game, stashed in the dugout to be thrown to the adoring crowd when he scored again. He did score, twice, but it was a reserve match against Shels, in front of almost nobody, so the sweets were instead devoured by the subs on the bench!
    Last edited by stann; 06/11/2018 at 11:01 PM. Reason: 1993 it was, bloody hell!
    more bass

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Pat O'Sullivan randomly deciding at home that he wanted a few Greek players.

Pat O'Sullivan linking Limerick with the Mongolian FA and having some young fella come over. I don't know if he ever even played.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There are so many but if I was forced to choose I'd have to say when the Kilcoynes screwed the Jesuits, sold our ground and we were homeless for 30 years while Milltown was turned into a housing estate. What a crazy league!

15. Thanks From:

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Hello Legia Warsaw, that was embarrassing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post

Belgian goalkeeper Dominique Wouferts being very impressed with the RSC when he was signed in 1993, and opining that if the training facilities were this good, he couldn't wait to see the stadium
    We had something very similar when we played Red Star in 2006. Their captain told the manager he was very impressed and couldn't wait to see the stadium only to be told he was in the stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Wexford FC suffering 3 separate punishments for fielding ineligible players in the last 18 months
    Shipping 8 goals at home on more than one occasion last year
    Club politics

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    our worst memory for me was us getting relegated after getting a points deduction for not submitting our accounts on time
    Carmarthen away is the worst in more recent years.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

20. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The former is more of a Greatest League in the World moment though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    A dead crow landing at the feet of Michael Essien who was randomly at a Limerick game was a good one.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    During Pats European campaign in 2011, after knocking out IBV of Iceland, Shakhter Karagandy of Kazakhstan and losing 2-0 to Karpaty Lviv in the first leg in Ukraine, the squad decided they deserved a bonus which was never agreed upon at the start of the season having only been thrown into Europe due to Sporting Fingal’s demise. The day of the second leg, players decide to go on strike as the club were having none of it, club announce the game is off, rumours of UEFA fines threatening to kill the club, few hours later the club announces game is on after agreeing a deal with the players. The entire warmup our own fans booed the team and we were then spanked 3-0. And it was in Tallaght. One of the worst days being a pats fan for myself.

One of the more funny ones was 2012 after drawing IBV again, rather than having to play the game in Reykjavik as they did the year before, they managed to get the game to go ahead in their home ground on an island off Iceland. Fans had booked out rooms in the only hotel on the island before the club didwirh some fans having to kindly give up their rooms so the team could stay together. Another one from that game being the UEFA delegate coincidentally being from Irish, decided to stand with the pats fans for the game. Ball goes out of play and onto the road at the back of the stand, he runs over to get it and falls flat on his face with half the ground in stitches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    When we were last in the premier division in 2008 and after revealing a major hole in the club's finances (of which he was the main architect) the then chairman asked the squad of players to each take out a credit union loan of €3k (over 5 years I think).
    There's plenty others I'm sure but that was up there!
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    In one of the many previous seasons where money was tight, DFC once had a car draw, I think it was maybe mid 80’s. It was very under subscribed, even local rumours of no actual car for the prize, but they had to draw a ‘winner’ and out of the hat came ……………………..the owner of a local hotel, who was actually a director at the time or previous one.

I`m sure Fr Ted nicked this idea about 10 years later.
    Last edited by oriel; 07/11/2018 at 1:01 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast