Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Thursday, 15th November 2018 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    ^ That said I still have my fingers crossed that Rice will declare for us and we can get Crowley settled in the side. Then build off the two of them going forward.
    Last edited by The Fly; 15/11/2018 at 10:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    ^ That said I still have my fingers crossed that Rice will declare for us and we can get Crowley settled in the side. Then build off the two of them going forward.
    Yes, but if Martin O'Neill is at the helm it wouldn't matter if we got Messi and Ronaldo to declare. We are absolutely atrocious under him and his sacking is way way overdue.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Don't get your hopes up too high - we can get rid of O'Neill but we still won't have a midfield.
    We need about 4 midfielders who can pass the ball . 2 Playing and 2 back up . It really is amazing that we don’t have midfielders that can pass the ball with a bit of quality .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    We dont have the players to play any football yet NI with all their championship and league 1 players can do that...
    I genuinely would love to swap managers and see if our players could pass the ball under Michael O’Neill . They also seem to have a bit of confidence that our players don’t .

Ya wouldn’t notice that Michael O’Neil had not won two European Cups and not played under Clough .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I was one of 30,000 there tonight against what should be one of our biggest rivals. I shudder o think what the attendance will be at our next home match if we get whipped by the Danes away.

I can't believe how bad Hendrick and Brady were tonight. Ok, Brady is short of match practice but he lost so much possession. Hendrick was anonymous apart from some silly fouls. Hourihane was anonymous. They walked through us when Whelan went off. The back 3 were at sea a few times as a result.

And again, that impacted our forwards. Although I did like the effort of Robinson and Curtis has an edge that I like too.

Stevens looked really good at wing back. Food for thought.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    ^^^^^ We have no midfield . Brady did take some very good dead balls .

Is Hendrick getting game time at Burnley ? He was poor today as he has been lately . Brady hopefully will improve with games .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    We need about 4 midfielders who can pass the ball . 2 Playing and 2 back up . It really is amazing that we don’t have midfielders that can pass the ball with a bit of quality .
    We haven't had midfielders of any real quality for around a decade now and fans shouldn't forget this. You can't get around this fact no matter who the manager is. The quality of our play has reflected it since Trapattoni was in charge. James McCarthy offered a glimpse of hope but he has hardly been stellar for us. With Rice and Crowley* alongside him I'd look forward with much more optimism though. Things are so bad right now that that old "it doesn't matter how we play as long as we qualify" mantra can't apply. We need to take active steps to build something like Wales and NI did. One thing they had in common though is young hungry managers, which is why I'd much rather Keane was manager than O'Neill.

* I mention Crowley often only because I watched him a number of times in some youth games and his ability was so blatantly obvious that I wanted us to secure him more than any other young Irish qualified player that I've seen in a long time.
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/11/2018 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    Yes, but if Martin O'Neill is at the helm it wouldn't matter if we got Messi and Ronaldo to declare. We are absolutely atrocious under him and his sacking is way way overdue.
    I wonder if the players have downed tools on him a bit.

Look at the NI front 3 earlier with their constant pressing - the other O'Neill had them well drilled there.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    I wonder if the players have downed tools on him a bit.
    I can't see how they would be fully playing for him any longer, no. They aren't blind, they aren't daft.
    They know what a pro set up should resemble, pre and during games, and its no relation to what we are.
    This needs to stop now, it needed to stop after Denmark & that's not being wise after the event. However MONs highly strategic dalliance with Stoke has made it very difficult to undo this, by difficult I mean expensive and very humbling for the FAI decision makers, who true to form are hiding from the decision.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    We make Theresa May look good.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    They aren't blind
    based on some of the dreadful passing last night I wouldn't be too sure about that. of course management has to take a lot of the blame but some of the passing and decision making was dreadful at times and the players must take responsibility.

some dreadful individual performances but enda stevens looks like he is our best left back / wing back option and, although some of his passes were dreadful, brady showed a couple of very neat touches and its a positive to have him back.

apart from that easily the most worrying performance of the last 3

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    We make Theresa May look good.
    She is better organised in midfield , is able to pass and has vision . Its the headers all round her that are the problem there .

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Sure, individual performances could be better, but they are subject to how MON sets up the team. We gave the ball to the North by constantly sitting deep. In contrast, the North pressed high, which stopped us playing the ball out from defence – not that we do that anyways. Really can’t see any logical reasoning behind how we are set-up. There’s no intent to create, control, influence the game. It seems to be all about containing the opposition. Our only attacking threats are long balls from Randolph, kicked out of play for the most part, and set-plays which are monotonous and predictable. And talk of having no midfield players is nonsense, we chose to play the game without a midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Shaun Williams was excellent in midfield against Poland.
    Would love to see him get more game time under O’Neill.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The highlight of the game was in the second half when N Ireland put an outstanding move together, breaking forward at pace, passing skilfully and accurately, and it just needed one outstretched leg to put the ball in the net. You would never see the Republic try anything like that. Never. Ever.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    I don't think there's ever been a better game to prove that our manager and coaching team need to be replaced. There's no argument that the opposition had more quality, or come from a different footballing culture, or are technically better, or have a couple of world class players that we don't have. That NI team had players from the same footballing culture and leagues, mostly playing at a lower level than ours, and, apart from not being able to finish their dinner, dominated in every statistic. 58% possession, 11 attempts to 8, 11 corners to 3. They passed the ball to each other better, they communicated better, they worked as a unit better, they created more. Yes, our players didn't perform, but the management have to shoulder most of the blame for sending them out without any kind of clear system of play. The NI players knew when to pressure, knew how to cut off supply to our wing backs, knew we wouldn't try to play through the middle, knew how to isolate the weak link in our back 3. They knew those things because they were coached to know them. Our players were told the team an hour before kick off and were told to go out and play with a bit of passion and like real men and good luck. That doesn't cut it anymore. Time for change.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Shaun Williams was excellent in midfield against Poland.
    Would love to see him get more game time under O’Neill.
    Has barely played since. Maybe he went against O'Neill's instructions and retained possession too much?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I don't think there's ever been a better game to prove that our manager and coaching team need to be replaced. There's no argument that the opposition had more quality, or come from a different footballing culture, or are technically better, or have a couple of world class players that we don't have. That NI team had players from the same footballing culture and leagues, mostly playing at a lower level than ours, and, apart from not being able to finish their dinner, dominated in every statistic. 58% possession, 11 attempts to 8, 11 corners to 3. They passed the ball to each other better, they communicated better, they worked as a unit better, they created more. Yes, our players didn't perform, but the management have to shoulder most of the blame for sending them out without any kind of clear system of play. The NI players knew when to pressure, knew how to cut off supply to our wing backs, knew we wouldn't try to play through the middle, knew how to isolate the weak link in our back 3. They knew those things because they were coached to know them. Our players were told the team an hour before kick off and were told to go out and play with a bit of passion and like real men and good luck. That doesn't cut it anymore. Time for change.
    well said, agree with all the above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    The highlight of the game was in the second half when N Ireland put an outstanding move together, breaking forward at pace, passing skilfully and accurately, and it just needed one outstretched leg to put the ball in the net. You would never see the Republic try anything like that. Never. Ever.
    last night was bad but please don't go overboard.
    mccleans goal against Austria away sounds exactly like what you describe (except for the actual finish to the net)

24. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Nothing really to say about the game other than we continue to be terrible and they were slightly better (how some people might like to go back to the day when under Trapp we stuffed them during their last visit). And speaking of which my comments are more political than about football. What has happening during the intervening period ? At that last game about 4 or 5 years ago GSTQ was greeted pretty much in silence and respected. This time it was greeted with the loudest boos (or should I say booze) at the Aviva since Raheem Sterling played for England having left Liverpool shortly before. Has it something to do with Brexit ? Their booing of James McClean only started after the anthems so it couldn't be related to that. Some Nordies beside me sat down for the anthem. Some kids in front of me were perplexed by the jeers - welcome to Irish history. Even the drummer in the "singing section" couldn't resist a few bangs during the anthem. At least the bell wasn't rung. I am as nationalistic as the next man but I found the booing disappointing. In life if you want to persuade someone to do something, you don't jeer them and disrespect them. That sort of stuff does nothing to further the cause of unity and it just confirmed their view that there is a hostile State south of the border. Shame.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

26. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast