Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Northern Ireland - Thursday, 15th November 2018 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post

The sooner Connolly gets a run in the Brighton senior side the better. He's on Hughton's radar which is great but I can't see him pushing up the Irish ranks until he gets that exposure.
    Since we are on the topic of Brighton & young Irish players, another player who was on the verge of being a regular in the the Brighton first team squad before injury was Jayson Molumby. Lets hope he gets back to where he was soon enough also.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He posted a photo of him wearing a pair of boots on Instagram the other day, might be back in training soon

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Great to hear. Saw him a couple of times and was astounded at how cool he was on the ball for such a young lad. Fingers crossed.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Lads aren't we most likely looking at a scenario here where Obafemi and the 3 other new lads will most likely be cut when the real squad is announced and will not even make it to Dublin to train?

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Besides getting on the Southampton bench - has Obafemi a good record in their reserves?

Aaron Connolly & Adam Idah (I think) have been banging them in at U23 level - but are overlooked so Obafemi can be cap-tied. It's a shame these things have to be done anymore.
    Currently scoring more regularly than Idah and nearly as regularly as Connolly (Note - Idah is 8 months younger than Obafemi and 14 months younger than Connolly and has had far less time in England though). And of course, he now has two Premier League appearances under his belt

That said, I think Obafemi should only be there if 1, O'Neill has spoken to him about his future and Obafemi is ready to commit and won't need time to consider his future and 2, if there is a reasonable chance that he'll actually get a run in the Southampton squad. Otherwise, we are playing silly games that could backfire, making MON look foolish and showing disrespect to other players

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    The optics might make O'Neill keep at least two of them after the cut. He has to be seen to be trying new approaches.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    the Crowley thing is bizzare can someone ask MON whats the story is
    I saw five minute highlights of Willem II's defeat at Ajax and Crowley was thrown off the ball twice like a little kid. I'm glad he's getting a run of games at a reasonably decent level but I think it's a bit early to call his exclusion from the Ireland squad bizarre. Clearly he's the type of player we could do with and I'd like to see him named in the squad myself, but he's done very little to actually merit it other than saying he's available.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I saw five minute highlights of Willem II's defeat at Ajax and Crowley was thrown off the ball twice like a little kid. I'm glad he's getting a run of games at a reasonably decent level but I think it's a bit early to call his exclusion from the Ireland squad bizarre. Clearly he's the type of player we could do with and I'd like to see him named in the squad myself, but he's done very little to actually merit it other than saying he's available.
    He got a 7.06 out of 10 against Ajax, according to this site, (which may or may not be reliable)
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/12...Ajax-Willem-II

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He got a 7.06 out of 10 against Ajax, according to this site, (which may or may not be reliable)
    https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/12...Ajax-Willem-II
    He did set up their best chance of the game too, and wasn't substituted, which is always a good sign. I just don't really understand why you think the situation is 'bizarre', yet anyway.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He did set up their best chance of the game too, and wasn't substituted, which is always a good sign. I just don't really understand why you think the situation is 'bizarre', yet anyway.
    because we are screaming out loud for a creative player and we have one who bizarrely is not in our squad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    A creative player who has only played a handful of senior matches and has been flip flopping between England and Ireland for years. I'm not sure O'Neill should feel obliged to call him up the second he clicks his fingers. Like I said, overall I'd like him in the squad too, as a sign of intent as much as anything, but I can totally understand why he's not there just yet. I only saw the comments on the other thread now, hopefully we'll get an update on this bizarre situation soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    BURNLEY: Jimmy Dunne (Hearts)
    While Burnley are shipping goals for fun in the bottom reaches of the Premier League, they have a 21-year-old Irish defender playing at centre-back for the current leaders of the Scottish Premiership. Former Manchester United youth player Jimmy Dunne has never even played for the Clarets, but his form for the Edinburgh side has just earned him a first call-up by Martin O’Neill. He is understandably desperate to stay there beyond his current loan spell.
    https://www.football365.com/news/the...sing-elsewhere [Adblocker clickthrough warning]
    Josh Cullen also gets a mention.
    Last edited by John83; 07/11/2018 at 2:41 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    A creative player who has only played a handful of senior matches and has been flip flopping between England and Ireland for years. I'm not sure O'Neill should feel obliged to call him up the second he clicks his fingers. Like I said, overall I'd like him in the squad too, as a sign of intent as much as anything, but I can totally understand why he's not there just yet. I only saw the comments on the other thread now, hopefully we'll get an update on this bizarre situation soon.
    Crowley has 42 appearances in top flight in Holland and another 30 in league 1 and Dutch second division. Of course he is going to get knocked off ball at times we are not going to play him as a defensive midfielder he would be our creative option

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Crowley has 42 appearances in top flight in Holland and another 30 in league 1 and Dutch second division. Of course he is going to get knocked off ball at times we are not going to play him as a defensive midfielder he would be our creative option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    That happened a lot to Hoolahan too well into his career. It is what they offer that makes up for that which is more important.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I think it's perhaps time we are a bit cynical given what has happened in the past. However, does naming him in the squad imply he has accepted the call up?
    Going by the Liam Kelly situation, O'Neill announced a provisional squad and then contacts players. He was named in the squad for the game last year but notified O'Neill he wouldn't take it up.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Going by the Liam Kelly situation, O'Neill announced a provisional squad and then contacts players. He was named in the squad for the game last year but notified O'Neill he wouldn't take it up.
    Yeah. That's why I guess some of us are clinging to the fact that he retweeted Southampton's tweet about his call up as being an indication of acceptance, when it may well not be. Being called in for any senior international side at Obafemi's age is brilliant recognition, even if it's not the side you want to play for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    That happened a lot to Hoolahan too well into his career. It is what they offer that makes up for that which is more important.
    I said I'd like to see him in the squad so it's misleading to take that point in isolation. I just happened to see the highlights so felt it was worth mentioning along with all the praise he's getting. The overall point was that he's done very little yet and it's far from an outrage that he hasn't been included in the squad. He only made his feelings known that he even wanted to be involved a month or two ago. Good point about Hoolahan though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Yeah. That's why I guess some of us are clinging to the fact that he retweeted Southampton's tweet about his call up as being an indication of acceptance, when it may well not be. Being called in for any senior international side at Obafemi's age is brilliant recognition, even if it's not the side you want to play for.
    If I recall correctly - didn't Kelly give it the whole 'delighted with my first call-up' tweets etc, when he got named in a provisional squad only to be cut a week later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    The Danish squad was announced earlier this week
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast