Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: WYW v Peamount (Cup Final)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts

WYW v Peamount (Cup Final)

Fantastic achievement for football in the South-East as Wexford Youths Women deservedly took the spoils in the cup final in the Aviva this afternoon and captured a memorable treble. With Rianna Jarrett patched up and sent out as a starter, Wexford began with Sophie, Nicola, Lauren, Lolly, Doireann, Katrina,Edel, Kylie, Emma and with Aisling playing behind Rianna up front. Peamount had their best spell in the first twenty minutes or so, as Wexford seemed to take time to adjust to their unusual formation in midfield. On five minutes, Peamount had a shot a yard over and, on nine minutes, Sophie Lenehan in the Wexford goal was forced to touch an Aine O’Gorman shot over her own bar for acorner. On 22 minutes, the Peas had another shot just over Wexford’s bar and it was 25 minutes before Wexford’s Lauren Dwyer had their first real effort from distance at the Peamount goal but it went a couple of yards wide. From about this time, however, Wexford’s Kylie Murphy and Edel Kennedy began to take control in midfield and it starved the supply to Peamount’s two dangerous players, O’Gorman and Barrett. Firstly, Emma Hansberry set up Kylie Murphy with a neat touch and Kylie’s left-footed effort fizzed past the post of Naoisha McAloon in the Peamount goal. Wexford’s increasing pressure on the Peamount goal paid dividends a few minutes later, when Wexford’s main supplier of dangerous crosses, Emma Hansberry, put in a good cross which was helped on by the head of Rianna Jarrett. This found Katrina Parrock at the far post who managed to force it home despite the best efforts of the Peamount defender. This was followed by further attempts to add to the score by Edel Kennedy and Katrina Parrock and Wexford were looking dominant at this stage. However, the remainder of the match was to be dominated by shouts by Amber Barrett for penos, none of which was given, as Wexford otherwise remained in control. The first came right on the blow as Wexford’s Lolly Conlon shepherded Barrett right to the corner of the box who then went over, but nothing was given. 1-0 to Wexford at half-time.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 04/11/2018 at 5:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Second half continued with Wexford generally looking strong but efforts fell to Peamount's Karen Duggan and three to Aine O’Gorman, all on her left,and Sophie Lenehan in the Wexford goal could watch them all sail comfortably well past her posts. Rianna Jarrett then just couldn’t reach another good cross by Emma Hansberry and, looking completely fatigued, Rianna was soon replaced by Orla Casey of Wexford after a very brave effort. Amber Barrett then went down in the Wexford box on two further occasions but nothing was given on either occasion again. McKenna Davidson then replaced player of the match, Katrina Parrock, and nearly notched an insurance goal as she was put through clear on to the Peamount goal. Peamount then applied some pressure right at the end but Wexford stood firm with their defence on top until, in the final minute, Amber Barrett went down again inside the Wexford box looking for a peno. This apparently looked very obvious as a spot-kick on the replay but nothing was given at the time and Wexford were home. Not the most spectacular of matches but Wexford won’t mind as they added a third trophy to their cabinet this year. A fantastic achievement for Tom Elmes and his team! In addition to Katrina Parrock, my player of the match would have come from Kylie Murphy and Edel Kennedy in midfield and, most probably, Emma Hansberry who oozed quality with her crosses, set-pieces and general touch wide right. 1-0 to Wexford at full-time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Forza, what's your opinion on the Irish women's squad? No Wexford players selected, surely some could feel hard done by after winning the triple?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Cornflakes, After the high of yesterday we are now seeing the harsh economic reality of international women's football in Ireland and one which, if I'm right, places a serious question over the future of the women's game here. My first reaction when I saw the panel was the same as yours. But let's look at it in a bit more depth. What you have in effect is a squad made up of basically ten players playing abroad and likely to be on full-time or close to full-time contracts. The remainder of the squad is made up of players playing on the island of Ireland who can afford to take a week off in November or December and attend an intensive week-long session here. (My sincerest apologies if I'm disrespecting any player here - none is intended.) There are more U17 players in the squad than U19 and the only over U19 Irish-based player that I can see is Amber Barrett and fair play to her for showing the commitment to get to a session such as this. It probably explains why Aine O'Gorman and Karen Duggan retired in recent weeks.

The situation is most clear when you look at the listed defenders. Niamh, Diane, Louise and Claire are all on full-time contracts and they are a formidable bunch of players for whom I would have the greatest of respect. The first reserve, if this squad can be believed, is Eabha O'Mahony, the U17 Irish captain from Cork who I'm fairly sure doesn't start for the Cork WNL team. You could list a whole group of WNL & other players whom you would draft in if one of the named four got injured - for starters - LaurenD, NicolaS, LollyC, SavMac, KeevaK, JessG, Maebh DeB, NiamhP, ShaunaF, ChloeM, etc., etc., etc.

So, for the biggest participation sport in the country, you are now seeing the international senior female panel being picked, not on merit but on availability. It hardly provides any basis for the stated dream of the FAI to get a senior team to the final stages of a serious international tournament and, as a supporter of the women's game in Ireland (with justifiable reason of course being from Wexford) it makes me want to weep.
    Last edited by ForzaForth; 05/11/2018 at 3:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Thanks for the response Forza.

Like the men's game we will be reliant on foreign based players. Which is a pity, as we can see how that limits us