Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: U23 European Chanpionships Bid

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts

U23 European Chanpionships Bid

Surprised not to see a thread about this news, and how it could/would imapct the LOI.

A couple of quick thoughts on it all :

- I had entertained some vague hope that the LOI might start to see greater investment/funding after the Lansdowne debt was cleared in 2020. Silly me. We're going to spunk it all on the international scene even if it's only in its underage guise and on everyone else.

- What would be the legacy for Irish football if this tournamnet came to Ireland ? The only stadium involved which is owned within the game is Turners Cross in the south and Widnsor in the north. All the others are either council-owned (Dalymount, Ballymena Showgounds) or owned by other sports (Thomond, Ravenhill, Aviva). The Aviva and Windsor don't need any money spent on them, and Dalymount is going to be redeveloped anyway. So apart from hopefully some improvements to Turners Cross what will be left to aid Irish football once the circus rolls on after 2023 ?

- On the other hand, I can see a lot of ways in which this tournament would actually HURT Irish football. Because it would be a massive distraction for the FAI to justify continuing to ignore the LOI even after they've cleared the Lansdowne debt. Plus it would cement Delaney for at least another 5yrs from now (at least !).

So am I being unduly negative here, or is there really not much cause for celebration for Irish club football within all of this ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Suggestion on our forum that a side effect would be strengthening the argument for funding for Glanmire as teams would need a training base. I think the decision on this will come much later than we would be hoping to get a decision on Glanmire though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    i think it is positive tbh
    assuming Dalymount will happen is a big IF ,
    This might make it happen as the Government could be persuaded its not just for a few Gypos flogging counterfeit shirts in phibsboro but for the benefit of the whole country etc etc.
    ditto investment in Cork or elsewhere as mentioned by El P

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    i think it is positive tbh
    assuming Dalymount will happen is a big IF ,
    This might make it happen as the Government could be persuaded its not just for a few Gypos flogging counterfeit shirts in phibsboro but for the benefit of the whole country etc etc.
    ditto investment in Cork or elsewhere as mentioned by El P
    Can you clarify where you mean by "or elsewhere" ?

Which domestic football facilities will be left in a better state if a UEFA circus rolls into Ireland for a couple of weeks ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I would be hoping tglhey use it as an excuse for the govt to ACTUALLY do dalymount, harps, glanmire , something in Galway, money for more work in roadstone, drogs. Other than dalymount it's small money by comparison with GAA have gotten in the past. Some as training facilities obviously
    Last edited by sbgawa; 02/11/2018 at 6:56 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Suggestion on our forum that a side effect would be strengthening the argument for funding for Glanmire as teams would need a training base. I think the decision on this will come much later than we would be hoping to get a decision on Glanmire though.
    AFAIK Glanmire and Dalymount are the two sites given FAI 'support' in the quest for Government funding, hopefully this would help expedite the process but I wouldn't be depending on Dalymount being ready by 2023 (not sure RE Glanmire).Anything that encourages the Government to spend a few bob on facilities would be welcome.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I would be hoping tglhey use it as an excuse for the govt to ACTUALLY do dalymount, harps, glanmire , something in Galway, money for more work in roadstone, drogs. Other than dalymount it's small money by comparison with GAA have gotten in the past. Some as training facilities obviously
    I'm not getting how the FAI and Irish government having their attention consumed by a UEFA international tournament being held in the Aviva, Tallaght and Turners Cross is going to lead to improvements in places like Eamon Deacy Park and United Park.

I can see the complete opposite happening, to be honest.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    There won't be any improvements to grounds like ED park or United park for the tournament, but given that we'd need 12-16 training bases for these teams there may well be funding approved for improvement in places like Glanmire, roadstone etc