Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers 2019 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I didn't realise Supple was playing with an injury. Is this a surprise to Bohs fans or something that was feared/expected?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Massive loss for bohs but even a die hard rovers fan can't take any pleasure out of this.
    Gutted for the lad always admired him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Keeper looks like a replacement for Supple who has announced his retirement due to ongoing injury.
    Terrible shame to see Supple retire. He was an excellent player, and a great ambassador for the league.

Do Bohs still have McCabe as a keeper too? I guess it will be McCabe and the new guy battling for the number 1 jersey next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Gutting news about Supple, the league is worse off without him. Handily one of the best players in the league and a good character to boot. Will take some job replacing him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Terrible news that only 31 ,for a keeper that would mean he had a good few years left in him yet.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Maybe he's just retiring to get out of a contract so he can sign for Rovers?

Seriously though, it's a pity to see one of the better players in the league retire early. It's thrown a bit of a cruve ball at Bohs too, presumably a keeper wasn't high on the shopping list before this.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It must be devastating for him to be forced to retire so young, particularly when he opted out of the game for so long after his first retirement on his return from England.

It certainly presents Keith Long with yet more unwanted challenges to replace key players

He was the best goalkeeper at Bohs by some distance and possibly even the best goalkeeper at a Dublin club last season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    He was the best goalkeeper at Bohs by some distance and possibly even the best goalkeeper at a Dublin club last season.
    His fellow pros thought he 2qs the best keeper in the league last season. If you have to go out, that's a nice way to finish.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Best keeper in the league over the course of the season by a mile but nice subtle attempt at a dig there.

Even as a Rovers fan it's a shame to see him retire so young, not least because now we'll never get to sign him , but a real quality keeper and more importantly a nice guy too to go along with that, he seems like the sort of guy who'd be a brilliant goalkeeper coach so maybe we'll see him in that role somewhere.

Bohs seem to have a really good replacement in for him in Talbot though. Think he's a Bohs fan too so that's a nice bonus for them, played outfield for Ballymun GAA team too since his release from Sunderland so won't be behind in fitness or anything.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    His fellow pros thought he 2qs the best keeper in the league last season. If you have to go out, that's a nice way to finish.
    It's quite an honour to be recognised in this way by your fellow professionals as was being called into the Republic of Ireland squad. There is no doubt that he was an excellent goalkeeper as was 2015 recipient Michael Slingerman.

Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Best keeper in the league over the course of the season by a mile but nice subtle attempt at a dig there.
    No dig at all at Shane Supple - I think he was an excellent keeper.

Although I think some posters are guilty of hyperbole in comparing him with other current keepers in the league. With a well regarded back four in front of him, he still managed to concede 45 league goals this season. That compares with 20 conceded by Dundalk and 27 conceded by Cork City. Even Rovers with their goalkeeping calamity janes only conceded 27 between them - that's way less than what Bohs let in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    It's quite an honour to be recognised in this way by your fellow professionals as was being called into the Republic of Ireland squad. There is no doubt that he was an excellent goalkeeper as was 2015 recipient Michael Slingerman.

Although I think some posters are guilty of hyperbole in comparing him with other current keepers in the league. With a well regarded back four in front of him, he still managed to concede 45 league goals this season. That compares with 20 conceded by Dundalk and 27 conceded by Cork City. Even Rovers with their goalkeeping calamity janes only conceded 27 between them - that's way less than what Bohs let in.
    Supple was, rightly, recognized as the best keeper in the league last season. He made a few mistakes but what keeper didn't ? was very good influence at Bohs both on and off the field. To suggest he had any fault in the vast majority of goals we conceded is simply silly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Terrible new about Supple, as important for his ability to organise the various centre half partnerships in front of him. He was also a great ambassador for the club and for the league. With Morris also gone that is a huge loss of on field leadership. Hopefully he can be persuaded to continue in some role within the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    To suggest he had any fault in the vast majority of goals we conceded is simply silly.
    I didn't suggest that

(but then you probably knew that anyway before you even posted that comment).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts

How can this be anything but a dig EZ....."he managed to concede 45 goals with a well regarded back 4 in front of him".
    The guy was first class,

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post

Even as a Rovers fan it's a shame to see him retire so young, not least because now we'll never get to sign him , but a real quality keeper and more importantly a nice guy too to go along with that, he seems like the sort of guy who'd be a brilliant goalkeeper coach so maybe we'll see him in that role somewhere.
    Supple is the main man (or heavily involved) behind a goalkeeping network or coaching classes across the city. Certainly this was in operation up to last year. I'd say he was doing tidily out of it.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Supple was indeed an super keeper and he seemed a more than decent guy too anytime I heard him on interviews or podcasts. He had a brilliant spell with Bohs and he will go down as one of the best keepers in recent years. He did get voted on to the TOTY by his fellow pros but I`m not sure he won any of the journalist voted potm awards, he definitely didnt win any this season.

He was an excellent keeper, I have no argument with this, but you also have to look at his stats, the top keeper conceeded 20 and the next 27, Supple came in at 45. How that be the best keeper 'by a mile' ?

What is not in question was his ability, he was one of the best keepers in recent seasons, I think that's a fair statement.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Let's not get ahead of yourselves there. I could have stood in goal for Dundalk this season and conceded less than 30.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I'm sure any player would put far more weight in the PFAI selections that journo selections. I don't think him not being chosen by journos is a reflection on his performances in recent seasons.

And to say goals conceded is what decides who is the 'top keeper' is foolish. Unless you're breaking down the stats to saves vs chances taken, collections of balls into the box etc, they mean very little as a comparison between keepers in very very different teams.

Supple undoubtedly had a better season that Nults. The figures don't tell the story in any meaningful way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Huge news to see Supple retire. Big loss to Bohs. Best goalkeeper in the league by some distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Let's not get ahead of yourselves there. I could have stood in goal for Dundalk this season and conceded less than 30.
    You have a knack for both exaggeration and hyperbole - much like the ten goal a season hat stand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I'm sure any player would put far more weight in the PFAI selections that journo selections. I don't think him not being chosen by journos is a reflection on his performances in recent seasons.

And to say goals conceded is what decides who is the 'top keeper' is foolish. Unless you're breaking down the stats to saves vs chances taken, collections of balls into the box etc, they mean very little as a comparison between keepers in very very different teams.

Supple undoubtedly had a better season that Nults. The figures don't tell the story in any meaningful way.
    The fact is that what people are calling the best keeper in the league conceded 45 goals. Now whether that was down to him or having a poor defence in front of him is the question. But remember one of those defenders also got in TOTY, the 2 centre halves have been widely plauded for their performances and one signed by yourselves. The other is Pender the captain.

Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast