Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers 2019 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    A Joe Gormley transfer to Tallaght looks to be gettinga tad more expensive. Not for the first time this week Cliftonville have done the usual not for at any price statements* which really shouting 'higher' then we will talk, then saying to disgruntled supporters that the offer was too high to refuse, the club's financially security is the top priority and that they wont stand in the players way if he wants to move! etc etc. Makes the availability of Drennan being overlooked a missed opportunity as surely Rovers would have opened the purse strings to beat Pats to his signature. Would a move for McMillan have Rovers fans happy?

*https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/football/46581446
    Merry Christmas

http://cliftonvillefc.net/2018/12/24...nd-triumphant/

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Obviously Gormley has little ambition if he turned down such an attractive move down south. The €75,000 allegedly bid for him could be used to fund an alternative big name striker from the UK - Padraig Amond is out of contract this summer although Newport have an option of another year. Dave Mooney is a little older and maybe a less expensive option

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    I would agree on lack of ambition, and I also read before a lot of the top NI players just get too comfortable with their set up.

Sat 3pm kick offs, most if not all clubs part time, meaning they can work if they wish, winter season, summer holidays and very limited travel involved. Almost has the attitude of they do not like change / challenge. I`m not sure what wages are like, but if they follow most other industries in NI the remuneration would be quite modest for most players I’d say.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I would agree on lack of ambition, and I also read before a lot of the top NI players just get too comfortable with their set up.

Sat 3pm kick offs, most if not all clubs part time, meaning they can work if they wish, winter season, summer holidays and very limited travel involved. Almost has the attitude of they do not like change / challenge. I`m not sure what wages are like, but if they follow most other industries in NI the remuneration would be quite modest for most players I’d say.
    Fair play to the chap, he got an improved contract and knows his limitations. He may have been better paid at Rovers but he has admitted to struggling with full time football, but being happy where he is at and turnning down the better offers is a bit refreshing. Was there anymore on the Crues bid?

While the transfer fee mentioned may still be used and even contribute to wages on whom do you spend it on. Would McMillan if he wants to stop his slow decline in a scottish reserve side fit the bill. Amond will probably be taken up on the extra year. There are a few single season options but none stand out. Rovers need to work waaay outside the box on a good hatstand!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Obviously Gormley has little ambition if he turned down such an attractive move down south. The €75,000 allegedly bid for him could be used to fund an alternative big name striker from the UK -
    Does his message board have a funniest or stupidest post of the year award?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Fair play to the chap, he got an improved contract and knows his limitations. He may have been better paid at Rovers but he has admitted to struggling with full time football, but being happy where he is at and turnning down the better offers is a bit refreshing. Was there anymore on the Crues bid?

While the transfer fee mentioned may still be used and even contribute to wages on whom do you spend it on. Would McMillan if he wants to stop his slow decline in a scottish reserve side fit the bill. Amond will probably be taken up on the extra year. There are a few single season options but none stand out. Rovers need to work waaay outside the box on a good hatstand!!
    As the Cliftonville Chairman said a couple of weeks ago....

"GerardLawlorCFC: I often wonder where some journalists get their stories from or do they just dream them up. Some of the transfer related stories I'm reading are totally fictional."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Does his message board have a funniest or stupidest post of the year award?
    I wouldn't expect you to get it, but anyone who turns down a move to D24 has stunted ambition. In Gormley's case, if he has tried and failed to make it at a higher level, perhaps he should be lauded for recognisiing his limitations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I wouldn't expect you to get it, but anyone who turns down a move to D24 has stunted ambition. In Gormley's case, if he has tried and failed to make it at a higher level, perhaps he should be lauded for recognisiing his limitations
    If people think LOI football is something IL players and indeed clubs should aspire to, then be sadly mistaken.

However, the most laughable part of the post I quoted was the suggestion to take the money, even though no such figure was ever bid, and spend it on some 'big name' from the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    If people think LOI football is something IL players and indeed clubs should aspire to, then be sadly mistaken.

However, the most laughable part of the post I quoted was the suggestion to take the money, even though no such figure was ever bid, and spend it on some 'big name' from the UK.
    You are probaby right, why play in a league where holidays during competative fixtures might be frowned upon, where full time training is an option, salaries are generally higher, crowds also generally higher, less travel and less committment might suit some prefectly.

Whether money was bid or not, why did Cliftonville opt to offer a new contract when there was plenty left on his existing deal if they were not concerned at the risk of losing him?

Tbf the comment on some 'big name' striker from Ez was dripping in sarcasm if you knew of his general contempt for Shamrock Rovers so you may laugh away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts

Maybe not 'aspire to', but certainly a step up on the ladder. Full time professional footballer is something every young kid who kicks a ball wants to be.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    You are probaby right, why play in a league where holidays during competative fixtures might be frowned upon, where full time training is an option, salaries are generally higher, crowds also generally higher, less travel and less committment might suit some prefectly.

Whether money was bid or not, why did Cliftonville opt to offer a new contract when there was plenty left on his existing deal if they were not concerned at the risk of losing him?

Tbf the comment on some 'big name' striker from Ez was dripping in sarcasm if you knew of his general contempt for Shamrock Rovers so you may laugh away.
    Ok. I will laugh away.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Maybe not 'aspire to', but certainly a step up on the ladder. Full time professional footballer is something every young kid who kicks a ball wants to be.
    A notoriously fickle, short-lived career with few prospects after the age of 35 may be something every young kid aspires to, but adults have more world perspective. A real career with football on the side could easily be more lucrative than a professional football career and nothing afterwards bar maybe an old degree

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Ok. I will laugh away.
    Among the giggles, care to explain why a new contract was offered? Its a genuine question. Cliftonville would wont to protect an asset, but why go to such lengths with a contracted player unless there was risk of him leaving. It has been played lovely by Gorman himself!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Lads, the truth is in the middle as always. There may not have been a bid but Rovers were willing to pay a fee and had done some work to find out what it would be. Gormley may have been a success for Rovers but, with his injury record and being part time, it would have been a risk. Still, it probably wouldn't work out much different over the length of his contract from getting someone like Dan Carr in and putting him up for a couple of years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

In truth, I have no idea if the reported €75,000 bid was real or not (more astute readers may have gathered that from my use of the word 'alleged'), but I have little doubt that a decent striker could be acquired with that sort of transfer kitty in the UK or elsewhere- no doubt even a bigger name than, say Marco Tagbajumi, maybe even something in the realms of Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink (okay, I know he must be about 40 years old by now).

Anyway, it's good to see that you are following my lead and taking such a keen interest in the fortunes of the Shamrock Rovers and their striker predicament.

BTW has Joe Gormley bought that taxi yet?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

It's a jump nevertheless. There's about 15 places between the leagues on the coefficient table.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    It would certainly be a step up, most IL clubs are part time compared to most LOI being full time, so the benefits of daily training would improve most players.

If you are looking at attendances, I’ve noticed quite a lot of IL top division apart from holiday periods are in 3 figures. LOI is nothing to boast about but comparison between both leagues, the best average from the IL would not be in the top 6 if all clubs were listed.

On the standard, apart from the top 3 maybe 4 in IL, I would consider the rest to be FD standard in LOI, and I have watched quite a few matches to get that opinion.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Ciaron Harkin in for Derry on a swap deal from Coleraine with Ben Doherty going in the opposite direction.
    You don't see many of them(swap agreements) in the LOI these days!

@derrycityfc and @ColeraineFC have agreed a swap deal for Ciaron Harkin to join the Candystripes with Ben Doherty heading in the other direction.Welcome Ciaron! #DCFC90 #RAWA28Read more=https://www.derrycityfc.net/2018/12/city-and-coleraine-confirm-swap-deal/ …

https://twitter.com/derrycityfc/stat...44831087312902

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    William Hondermarck moves from Drogheda to Norwich.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford In:

Damien Delaney (Cork City)

Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast