Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfers 2019 season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Supple was indeed an super keeper and he seemed a more than decent guy too anytime I heard him on interviews or podcasts. He had a brilliant spell with Bohs and he will go down as one of the best keepers in recent years. He did get voted on to the TOTY by his fellow pros but I`m not sure he won any of the journalist voted potm awards, he definitely didnt win any this season.

He was an excellent keeper, I have no argument with this, but you also have to look at his stats, the top keeper conceeded 20 and the next 27, Supple came in at 45. How that be the best keeper 'by a mile' ?

What is not in question was his ability, he was one of the best keepers in recent seasons, I think that's a fair statement.
    Can't believe I'm having to defend a Bohs player here but if you're using potm awards as benchmarks then Gavin Bazunu was the best keeper in the league this season, and you cannot use team statistics alone to talk about specific players. The 20 goals Dundalk conceded could be off 20 shots on target (I know they're not but this is to show how ridiculous using those statistics can be so I'm exaggerating), while the 45 could be off 450. You simply cannot go "this team conceded the least therefore their keeper in the best" it simply does not work that way.
    And since all the Dundalk fans are trying to say it without saying it I'll just stop it in it's tracks, nobody, and I really mean nobody, outside of Dundalk fans think that Rodgers was the best keeper in the league this season.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    The fact is that what people are calling the best keeper in the league conceded 45 goals. Now whether that was down to him or having a poor defence in front of him is the question. But remember one of those defenders also got in TOTY, the 2 centre halves have been widely plauded for their performances and one signed by yourselves. The other is Pender the captain.
    So him being in TOTS isn't relevant but one of his defenders being in it, two others being widely lauded and another being the captain are important? Are you actually reading what you're typing?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    You have a knack for both exaggeration and hyperbole - much like the ten goal a season hat stand
    Let's not go down the road of "you have a knack", that could end badly for you.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    So him being in TOTS isn't relevant but one of his defenders being in it, two others being widely lauded and another being the captain are important? Are you actually reading what you're typing?
    To be fair I'm not surprised you couldn't grasp what I was saying. Who's the weak link in the back 5? conceding 45 goals would suggest there has to be one.

And since you've put it out there, of course we think Rogers is the best goalkeeper in the league. The stats back that up. He hasn't put a foot wrong all season and made countless crucial saves. Bohs fans themselves have said Supple had a few bloopers this season. Supple is a fine keeper and it's a real shame he has to retire so young, but he's not the best keeper in the league and never has been

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    What??? No one done the whole 'yawn' post yet?!!

Rogers just had his best season for Dundalk so understandible why Dundalk fans would rate him higher. Supple i'm sure would have had equally impressive stats behind the Dundalk defence at minimum. As for who is the better keeper? Depends on what aspect of the keepers role people focus on imo, they have their strengths and weaknesses. That Supple is 31 and was hitting the generally considered keepers' prime, with much of a muchness between them (again imo) he would have gone on to be a better all round player. Thats taking in to consideration how much Rogers has improved even as a very experienced player and if Supple had followed the same sort of rate of improvement then there wouldnt be a doubt on who was better. As it is its all down to personal opinion unless someone is going to micro analyse all the stats.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Can't believe I'm having to defend a Bohs player here but if you're using potm awards as benchmarks then Gavin Bazunu was the best keeper in the league this season, and you cannot use team statistics alone to talk about specific players. The 20 goals Dundalk conceded could be off 20 shots on target (I know they're not but this is to show how ridiculous using those statistics can be so I'm exaggerating), while the 45 could be off 450. You simply cannot go "this team conceded the least therefore their keeper in the best" it simply does not work that way.
    Ok so you say statistics alone don't tell the story. Maybe you can tell us how it does work - back up your opinion that Shane Supple was

"Best keeper in the league over the course of the season by a mile"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    To be fair I'm not surprised you couldn't grasp what I was saying. Who's the weak link in the back 5? conceding 45 goals would suggest there has to be one.

And since you've put it out there, of course we think Rogers is the best goalkeeper in the league. The stats back that up. He hasn't put a foot wrong all season and made countless crucial saves. Bohs fans themselves have said Supple had a few bloopers this season. Supple is a fine keeper and it's a real shame he has to retire so young, but he's not the best keeper in the league and never has been
    To be fair I'm not surprised you can't grasp the fact that the back 5 aren't solely responsible for the amount of goals conceded, almost literally the first thing you learn in football is defending starts from the front. You're also completely ignoring the fact that Bohs defence wasn't settled at all for most of the season. The stats don't, a stat does, a team stat at that. There's no publicly available stats that can definitively state who the best keeper in the league is but team stats don't do it. You need goal to shot ratios, completed passes, errors per game.

I'm going to dumb it down for you, nice and simple. Fans of everyone other than Dundalk think he was better than Rogers, fellow professionals think he was the best this season therefore he was the best this season.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    What??? No one done the whole 'yawn' post yet?!!

Rogers just had his best season for Dundalk so understandible why Dundalk fans would rate him higher. Supple i'm sure would have had equally impressive stats behind the Dundalk defence at minimum. As for who is the better keeper? Depends on what aspect of the keepers role people focus on imo, they have their strengths and weaknesses. That Supple is 31 and was hitting the generally considered keepers' prime, with much of a muchness between them (again imo) he would have gone on to be a better all round player. Thats taking in to consideration how much Rogers has improved even as a very experienced player and if Supple had followed the same sort of rate of improvement then there wouldnt be a doubt on who was better. As it is its all down to personal opinion unless someone is going to micro analyse all the stats.
    Are Dundalk fans capable of accepting any player outside of Oriel is better than Dundalk equivalent ? I thought Rogers had an excellent season, maybe even his best and could understand when journalists had him in their TOTY. similarly I could accept the exclusion of two Cork players (in particular) at the expense of their Dundalk and Rovers counterparts, although it must have been close.But the first time Rogers is excluded we get the whole 'toys out of pram' silliness from some Dundalk fans.
    Rogers had a great season in a great team Supple had an exceptional season in a part time team, which is better ?Who cares, its all a matter of opinion. if Dundalk fans choose to believe Rogers would be their choice ahead of Supple so be it but I doubt many others would agree.

Stupid digs about individual players cut both ways, don't have to search far for a few Rogers screw ups - irrespective of what the stats say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Are Dundalk fans capable of accepting any player outside of Oriel is better than Dundalk equivalent ? I thought Rogers had an excellent season, maybe even his best and could understand when journalists had him in their TOTY. similarly I could accept the exclusion of two Cork players (in particular) at the expense of their Dundalk and Rovers counterparts, although it must have been close.But the first time Rogers is excluded we get the whole 'toys out of pram' silliness from some Dundalk fans.
    Rogers had a great season in a great team Supple had an exceptional season in a part time team, which is better ?Who cares, its all a matter of opinion. if Dundalk fans choose to believe Rogers would be their choice ahead of Supple so be it but I doubt many others would agree.

Stupid digs about individual players cut both ways, don't have to search far for a few Rogers screw ups - irrespective of what the stats say.
    Is that not what I said? I didnt have a dig at any player either!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dave Webster (Waterford FC to St.Pats.Ath)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Is that not what I said? I didnt have a dig at any player either!
    Wasn't suggesting you had a dig, in fact concur with most of your post so apols for quoting you, I didn't want to get into a 'row' with other Dundalk posters whom appear incapable of accepting anything other than Dundalk players in any selection. should have directly quoted them but lifes too short !

lets just agree they both had very good seasons and move on .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Your opening line presents a strange interpretation of the recent exchange of posts on this subject. For me, it has nothing to do with the exclusion of Gary Rogers from the PFAI team awards (btw it's 2012 since he was last in)

Nor is it about about having digs at any player - stupid or otherwise. I accept it's a matter of opinion, which can fly in the faces of the available statistics. Sometimes these are presented in such a bizarrely exaggerated way, that they are inevitably challenged

Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Best goalkeeper in the league by some distance.
    Best keeper in the league over the course of the season by a mile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Your opening line presents a strange interpretation of the recent exchange of posts on this subject. For me, it has nothing to do with the exclusion of Gary Rogers from the PFAI team awards (btw it's 2012 since he was last in)

Nor is it about about having digs at any player - stupid or otherwise. I accept it's a matter of opinion, which can fly in the faces of the available statistics. Sometimes these are presented in such a bizarrely exaggerated way, that they are inevitably challenged
    Or maybe occasionally, everyone else (sorry the majority) is right ?
    if you don't think he was the best choice then who is better ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I suppose there's a valid point in all that. Bohs did quite well this season, all things taken into account. But if they ship, say, 10 goals more next season, are they in danger of a fight to avoid the play-offs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Are Dundalk fans capable of accepting any player outside of Oriel is better than Dundalk equivalent ?.
    Absoutley there are better players out there, Sadlier is one, Hery probably is another, equally there are lots of players that would improve Dundalk also like McEneff and the young keeper from Warrenpoint, McCarey. Dundalk are also in for the latter two I believe.

I`ll also balance out the argument that it was ridiculous that no Cork player was on the Soccer Rep TOTY, Sadlier should have been a shoe in, and McLaughlin would have had a decent shout also.

Its all about opinions though, and Supple will bow out having the the comfort knowing he was one of the best !
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    I'll preface this with saying that I hate team's of the year, as they are entirely opinion based and only serve as filler for papers and TV shows at the end of a season. The team that wins the league title is the Team of the year. I accept that some Dundalk fans (Myself included) can get carried away at time and overrate a player or 2 that we are watching week in and week out as opposed to someone we see maybe twice a year and on the odd highlight reel, but it's the same for opposition fans downplaying our players. So far I've heard Nigel could do a job for us in goal and a Hatstand could score 10 goals playing up front all season... I mean, come on... I know we go on about the great football we play and the quality of our team but maybe it's because they are genuinely the best players in the league.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Best team but not individually the 11 best players.
    I thought my hat stand comment was quality banter btw. happy to stand over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Conan Byrne to Shelbourne is a done deal apparently,Shelbourne must be early favorites for the first division next season.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    Dave Webster (Waterford FC to St.Pats.Ath)
    Could be a very good signing for St Pats.

Toner, Webster and Desmond to fight it out for starting places although both Webster and Desmond have full back experience too. Maybe Desmond is earmarked for a holding midfield position

Is Leahy signed for next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Webster is in to replace Leahy, who has been let go. Decent upgrade and provides actual competition for Desmond and Toner rather than a distinct drop off in quality.

I sincerely hope that's the case and it stays that way anyway, and isn't so Desmond can push up to midfield. He's more than capable there and by the nature of him being so good has had great performances playing there, but he's been brilliant at the back for us and should be the first name on the team sheet in that position.

Decent bones of a squad for us so far with Clarkey/Madden/Bermo/Desmond/Webster/Toner/Lennon/Clifford/Markey/Shaw confirmed for next season. Should be a few more signing back and with a couple more decent additions to them we should put up a proper challenge for Europe. Which we were on course to do this time around outside of that ridiculous run in the middle of the season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Conan Byrne to Shelbourne is a done deal apparently,Shelbourne must be early favorites for the first division next season.
    They've splashed out a nice bit, be a disaster if they don't go up.

Page 7 of 65 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast