Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1285

Thread: Transfers 2019 season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    I've read the back and forth here and I don't get what you're trying to say either. What I'm getting from it is that Burke is technically too good for League 1 and 2 and teams in these leagues do not play to his strengths because it's all hoof-ball? Which for me is a massive generalisation.

But I think it's fair to say that he is not good enough for the Championship, otherwise another club would have identified his technical ability and made a move, no?
    No I never said too good. I said he is a technical footballer, he needs to play in a team that play technical football of which very few teams have intentions of doing in League 1 and 2 and those that do tend to not get enough technical players in quick enough so start slowly then once the pressure comes on they revert to hoof ball. It is a generalisation but in my experience its accurate. Lots of teams start playing football on the floor in August and by October its route one when they realise the 5 players that can pass they brought in wasn't enough.

Again didn't say he was too good just that the style of play he was being asked to play isn't his style so its not that he wasn't good enough for the standard just not the right fit. It's why more and more midfielders and forwards from Premier League teams are going to Europe and not the lower leagues.

Not being a good fit doesn't equal not being good enough for that level. When you go on loan to League 1 and 2 you have to get very lucky as a technical player to get a good fit.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Why don't some of the Irish players try Holland /Portugal/Belgium ?
    The obsession with England is understandable but as the money in England gets bigger and bigger the chances of Irish players making it are getting smaller and smaller.
    The premier league is now effectively a world league drawing players from all over the world and the Championship is increasingly hard to crack as well
    I would say they have a bias against Irish players in those countries. They tend to lob us in with the brits and assume we play long ball, it's a stereotype they have that is hard to shift.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    No I never said too good. I said he is a technical footballer, he needs to play in a team that play technical football of which very few teams have intentions of doing in League 1 and 2 and those that do tend to not get enough technical players in quick enough so start slowly then once the pressure comes on they revert to hoof ball. It is a generalisation but in my experience its accurate. Lots of teams start playing football on the floor in August and by October its route one when they realise the 5 players that can pass they brought in wasn't enough.

Again didn't say he was too good just that the style of play he was being asked to play isn't his style so its not that he wasn't good enough for the standard just not the right fit. It's why more and more midfielders and forwards from Premier League teams are going to Europe and not the lower leagues.

Not being a good fit doesn't equal not being good enough for that level. When you go on loan to League 1 and 2 you have to get very lucky as a technical player to get a good fit.
    Not being a good fit does equal not being good enough for that level. Either his current club are wrong and he is good enough for that division (and other clubs in hat division will be clammering for him) or he isn't good enough in which case he goes down a division to a level he is capable of operating at or returns to LOI. I can understand a player not fitting in to a particular club set up but a whole division ?

There really isn't any more to it than that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    I would say they have a bias against Irish players in those countries. They tend to lob us in with the brits and assume we play long ball, it's a stereotype they have that is hard to shift.
    I doubt these clubs (Holland/Portugal, Belguim etc.) scout the LOI or indeed schoolboy leagues to anywhere near the same extent that English clubs do.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    If you look at the tactics the Irish national team has used in recent years, it's understandable that the "Irish football=long ball" stereotype isn't going to go away any time soon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Not being a good fit does equal not being good enough for that level. Either his current club are wrong and he is good enough for that division (and other clubs in hat division will be clammering for him) or he isn't good enough in which case he goes down a division to a level he is capable of operating at or returns to LOI. I can understand a player not fitting in to a particular club set up but a whole division ?

There really isn't any more to it than that.

No, no it doesn't. Though that is in your completely unbiased opinion of course As you drop down the leagues you get less and less technical, once you go below championship you're basically in a game of chance hoping the club you go to plays football for the season.

Of course this is a relatively new problem for Irish fans so I'm not surprised some people haven't grasped the concept of technical players not suiting lower leagues.

Look at Byrne, thrived in Holland in the Eredivisie but struggled in lower leagues England in struggling teams because instead of getting ball to feet it was going over his head, comes to Rovers, gets the ball to his feet and thrives again, you don't need to be an expert to see the pattern.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    No, no it doesn't. Though that is in your completely unbiased opinion of course As you drop down the leagues you get less and less technical, once you go below championship you're basically in a game of chance hoping the club you go to plays football for the season.

Of course this is a relatively new problem for Irish fans so I'm not surprised some people haven't grasped the concept of technical players not suiting lower leagues.

Look at Byrne, thrived in Holland in the Eredivisie but struggled in lower leagues England in struggling teams because instead of getting ball to feet it was going over his head, comes to Rovers, gets the ball to his feet and thrives again, you don't need to be an expert to see the pattern.
    How many Championship sides came in for Burke ?Precisely none.There is a reason for that -they don't believe he is good enough for that level. Or do you believe there is some massive conspiracy against him personally ? I wish him all the best in his career, but that doesn't change the facts.
    Its hardly a great secret that Byrne had issues off the pitch that may have hindered his career, but you can find that out at the AGM

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    That's way too simplistic on Byrne.

He struggled in England for other reasons too - disciplinary, for example. His team finished bottom of the Eredivisie - yes, he was a young player, but it's hardly "thriving" to be in a team that won 3 games all season.

And he's thriving in Ireland because it's a lower standard. He's playing UCD/Harps/Cork for God's sake.

Yes, he did well in the couple of European games, but overall, your argument still doesn't stack up.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's way too simplistic on Byrne.

He struggled in England for other reasons too - disciplinary, for example. His team finished bottom of the Eredivisie - yes, he was a young player, but it's hardly "thriving" to be in a team that won 3 games all season.

And he's thriving in Ireland because it's a lower standard. He's playing UCD/Harps/Cork for God's sake.

Yes, he did well in the couple of European games, but overall, your argument still doesn't stack up.
    So for Burke the standard of his team is a negative because they're too good in comparison, for Byrne it's that they're too bad. He was their joint second top scorer, joint top for assists, in a few division team of the weeks (to do that in a team thats not winning is especially impressive) and the team got more points per game when he played than when he didn't. Hes also playing the likes of Dundalk, Derry, Brann, Apollon.

It doesn't stack up because you have this outdated mentality of England being the standard bearer and Irish players being route one merchants neither of which check out any more

How many Championship sides came in for Burke ?Precisely none.There is a reason for that -they don't believe he is good enough for that level. Or do you believe there is some massive conspiracy against him personally ? I wish him all the best in his career, but that doesn't change the facts.
    Its hardly a great secret that Byrne had issues off the pitch that may have hindered his career, but you can find that out at the AGM
    Sorry I forgot you're the Preston CEO and know every offer that comes in for their players...Good to know we still have a place in your head rent free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I think the agents of the Irish players have a case to answer.
    Many of them have "links" to UK clubs and get paid for sending players over, how much effort is put into contacting mainland European clubs and promoting a player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Seriously - if you can be a decent player at one of the worst top flight teams the Dutch league has seen in recent years, then it's only logical you'll thrive when playing part-time teams in Ireland.The LoI is ****e compared to League One or the Eredivisie.

I see no reason to discount Occam's Razor here - the simple explanation is usually the right one. Burke failed in England for any reason other than that he wasn't good enough. Twice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    So for Burke the standard of his team is a negative because they're too good in comparison, for Byrne it's that they're too bad. He was their joint second top scorer, joint top for assists, in a few division team of the weeks (to do that in a team thats not winning is especially impressive) and the team got more points per game when he played than when he didn't. Hes also playing the likes of Dundalk, Derry, Brann, Apollon.

It doesn't stack up because you have this outdated mentality of England being the standard bearer and Irish players being route one merchants neither of which check out any more

Sorry I forgot you're the Preston CEO and know every offer that comes in for their players...Good to know we still have a place in your head rent free.
    If he had offers in the Championship he would not be back, simple as that.
    Tell us about these offers or stop your bull****.
    I doubt anyone (even you) knows what goes on in your head 😁

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Seriously - if you can be a decent player at one of the worst top flight teams the Dutch league has seen in recent years, then it's only logical you'll thrive when playing part-time teams in Ireland.The LoI is ****e compared to League One or the Eredivisie.

I see no reason to discount Occam's Razor here - the simple explanation is usually the right one. Burke failed in England for any reason other than that he wasn't good enough. Twice.
    Salah, Boetang, Pique, Di Maria, Forlan off the top of my head to show that a player not succeeding at a club is sometimes just down to a bad fit, not that the player are the club are bad, just different.
    Pique is nearly the perfect example. Ferguson knew he was a good technical defender but maybe not up to the physicality of the Premier League so let him go back to Barcelona where he thrived because the Spanish league is more technical than physical.

Your view of football is simply outdated.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    If he had offers in the Championship he would not be back, simple as that.
    Tell us about these offers or stop your bull****.
    I doubt anyone (even you) knows what goes on in your head 
    I'm not saying there were offers, I'm just not saying that there definitively were't because I don't know and I know for a fact you don't either.

Rent free

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Jesus fuc€ing wept.
    Let it go man,life's too short.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I'm not saying there were offers, I'm just not saying that there definitively were't because I don't know and I know for a fact you don't either.

Rent free
    Yes, we DO know, because if there was an offer he wouldn’t be back. Can’t make it any simpler.

Now, stop embarrassing yourself and move on 😁

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Who was it that Dundalk fans cant take opposition talked down or (former) players not being rated...

Seeing an awful lot of L1/L2 matches over the years and tbh it is generally muck ball bar the few chasing promotion. It isnt vastly surperior to LoI's clubs top end of the table. Certainly when you factor in the much greater resources it becomes apparent that the gap isnt what people think it is and what it should be. LoI clubs are also now moving to bring on players' technical ability rather than just physical attributes while coaching the football out of them. For all the woes we are punching above our weight even on plenty of average attendances. There are Irish players on the fringes of L1/L2 squads, hopping from club to club neasly annually that I believe would be bigger success in some of the continental leagues, possibly even further up the English leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Have watched League 1 and league 2 football for the last three years week in week out. It certainly isn't better than the top of the LOI. League 2 is dreadful, teams with 6ft full backs and wingers.

All but the top of League One isn't a lot better, but make less mistakes. About thirteen teams last year within a point of relegation and Accrington Stanley could survive comfortably with an attendance of 2,500. It's about time Irish players started looking elsewhere.
    Last edited by dfx-; 03/08/2019 at 10:38 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Accrington couldn't survive comfortably on crowds of 2,500 without their owner putting in a million a year. They also got £1.5m in TV money. That's what - twice the windfall Rovers got for reaching the group stages of Europe?

Budgets are huge in football; league tables often very closely tie in to the clubs' wages budget. I don't see why that would change here just because teams have 6ft full-backs and wingers.

Technical footballers may be better to watch, but if they're outmuscled by 6ft full-backs, then they're clearly worse players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    There is some merit in what RH is saying. Some gifted players just dont work out at clubs throughout football at all levels. The trigger happy nature of directors at Englsih football clubs means generally, and especially in the lower leagues, that it is purely result based. Doesnt matter how you do it just win at all costs. This rules out the almost extinct aspect of management of building a team as opposed to buying a team. If Burke was showing serious potential at PNE or out on loan he would have gotten a club that his attributes would be appreciated. Instead he returned home, he could have been homesick and enjoying life is as important as earning a wedge. I think RH is being a little touchy on the suggestion that Burke wasnt good enough or that his return to Rovers is a step down!!

Page 56 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast