Thread: League of Ireland Wages & Standard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Post League of Ireland Wages & Standard

Sunday Times; 3 April
    WAGES PUT PAID TO TRANSFERS
    "Dundee's manager, Jim Duffy, shocked the denizens of Scottish football when he returned from a scouting trip to Dublin with the news that Eircom League players earn more money then most SPL clubs could possibly pay. In town looking for bargains at Shamrock Rovers verses Shelbourne, Duffy discovered that some of those who caught his eye were reputedly trousering around €1,400 a week. From what he saw, Duffy reckoned that four of those on view were well up to SPL standard. No word on whether one of those players is the anominous Eircom League player rumoured to be taking home €4,000 every Friday."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    OMG I knew the EL has come on a lot in recent years but I didnt think it has passed out some of the scottish clubs !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    any idea who the player is who's on €4,000 a week?!
    Im going with Glen Crowe for shels....

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    apparently Alan Moore of Shels was on 12 grand a week last season.something to do with his contract at burnley,supposedly one of their sponsors was paying it until his contract ran out or something along them lines.

Pat Fenlon said in the paper that both Glen Crowe and Colin Hawkins took a pay cut to join Shels.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    He didnt say they would get more here then in the SPL !!

What he said was that if you were to take somebody from the EL you wouldnt be able to as they are getting a fairly decent wage here and to get nyone to up and leave their home and move their family in some cases your going to have to increae the offer a fair bit which at the moment is not an option for them.

The wages are close but on average there is no way they get less in the SPL Your talking about Shels V Dundee. One of the top payers in the EL versus probably one of the worst in the SPL, no?

Im sure if he wants to go see Finn Harps play UCD he could pick up a few players
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Something to bear in mind on this Jim Duffy from Dundee story:

He came over to the Rovers Vs Shels game on Good Friday to run the rule over a couple of Rovers players.

He was in Dalyer as a 'guest' of Rovers and presumably would have spoken to his 'oppo' Roddy Collins

Who told him what money the Shels players are supposedly on?

Was it Roddy by any chance?

Pat Fenlon only entered the debate after Irish journos contacted him, after Duffy's remarks were reported in the Scottish press.

Figures of €4,000 are no more true because they're printed in the Sunday Times, than they would be, if published in any other media organ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Crowe was offered more than what he's on now to stay at bohs as far as i know hawkins is on more now than he was at bohs (money grabbing ****e!)
    Eoin Mullen, Bohemians legend!

"You should always take good care of your cat" - Postman Pat, 1991

2005 - a great year for Irish football

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Never thought crowe would ever leave bohs,even for an english club.
    you cant blame hawkins for leaving if it was for more money,me or you would plus has a better chance of winning things now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think a lot of Bohs fans are kidding themselves that the 3 lads went to Shels for crazy money. I dont know what they were on but its more likely they went for a chance of winning thngs and to get a taste of Champions League. How many EL players are going to face the likes of Deportivo and Lille outside of a friendly?

I wouldnt be surprised if they thought Bohs fans would go easier on them if they fed them the money story instead of just wanting to leave Bohs. Anything near 4,000 is silly.

I dont know what they are on at Shels but if you were to listen to Bohs fans they are putting Crowe up around the 3,000 euro mark

I wish we all were as clued in as them.

There was some reports that Shamrock Rovers had put a better deal to Crowe then Shels so maybe Roddy is paying someone 4,000!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins
    they went for a chance of winning thngs and to get a taste of Champions League.

Well they better sharpen up then ... i mean any more performances like that the other night, they'd barely deserve to watch Champions League on telly !!
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    As long as they are second or top and getting results its ok. Bad performances are ok for the time being. You dont want a team to peak too early, and flop after a while like Arsenal. Shels just hung on and no more near the end last year.

They really need to have jelled towards the end of the season when the european matches come up. If some of the new signings dont perform by then, then its time to look at their contract again

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down

Does anyone else think 1400 a week is far too much to be paying an eL player? 72k a year?

I know clubs are becoming more professional but makes it hard to plead poverty when spending too much on the players. Much as we may like to think it but foreign clubs aren't exactly queuing up to sign eL players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    Does anyone else think 1400 a week is far too much to be paying an eL player? 72k a year?

I know clubs are becoming more professional but makes it hard to plead poverty when spending too much on the players. Much as we may like to think it but foreign clubs aren't exactly queuing up to sign eL players.
    Agreed but where did ya get that figure from?
    Who's meant to be getting that?

At a baseless guess, i'd imagine there's 4 or 5 players in the eL scamming between €1,500 and €2,000.

Or maybe just Fenn and Crowe.
    Businesswise, its imperative City lose Fenn, imo.
    City definetly have the best bands playing at half-time.

O'Bama - "Eerah yeah, I'd say we can alright!"

G.O'Mahoney Trapattoni'll sort ém out!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Crowe did not come to shel on a better contact then Jason Byrne..

You can go do a Bohs on this information and make up that Jayo is on 8,000 a week if you like but neither of them are close to the 4,000 that was talked about.

Can you imagine if your top scorer for two years and close to player of the year and your manager signs another striker on more then you??? Dont think Fenlon is that silly to have Crowe on silly money with Jayo sitting there looking on.

The figure of 1,400 is got from the 1,000 sterling remark by Nutsy is it? I'd think there is plenty of players up around the 1,000 to 1,500 mark within the league. Not all at Shels either despite what Bohs fans think.
    www.ssdg.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Pat Fenlon said in the paper that both Glen Crowe and Colin Hawkins took a pay cut to join Shels.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and their wage packets are delivered by flying pigs