Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Reid

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

Steven Reid

Watched Reid today against United on RTE. He done well I thought. Was a bit more progressive on the ball than I'd seen earlier was was willing to carry the ball a bit more. He burst forward a couple of times like we used to see. In fairness his cross after one burst was poor but that was with his left foot. Any crosses or shots he did with his right foot looked usefull and his accrucy from passing under pressure was good.

For those arguing the selction of Finnan/Andy Reid on the right side...... Obviously these are the lads in posession, and rightly so. But maybe as an option down the line, Steven Reid might be a happy medium by offering the stabbility and solidity of Finnan without loosing too much of the penetration offered by Andy Reid.

Just some food for thought!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    He was playing on the right today then?
    He played CMF recently and I was hoping he would get an extended run there as Ireland is more in need of someone to fill in there. As you said we have Finnan and Andy Reid to play on RMF and McGeady (if Kerr ever plays him)
    So we are well covered there for now and the foreseeable future.
    However for CMF we have:
    Kilbane (Not his natural position)
    Keane (he's 34 this year)
    Kavanagh (31) playing in a lower division but possibly promoted next year
    Holland (30)
    Delap - always injured for Ireland games
    Quinn - unproven and playing in a lower division
    Healy - Injured - hope he comes back
    Miller - unsure about him

Of course we have a few lads coming through from the U21s but you never know how they will play at full international level but the above list doesn’t inspire me.

If S. Reid gets a run of games at CMF under his belt he could be the box-to-box player we need in the near future. I have to say I haven't seen any of Blackburn's recent games but I have been reading the reviews. They are having a mini revival and he has nearly always been their best outfield player playing in CMF or RMF.
    He has all the attributes for CMF - fast, good passing and athletic. He's also good at free kicks.
    I know he played sh!te for us against Russia but he is worth another shot.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Spot on Irish_Praha.

As a Blackburn Rovers follower and a fan of Steven Reid's potential for some time, I for one believe he is most suited to a central midfield role. Yes, indeed he has been getting more experience in the engine room of late. And as I've always maintained with Reid, his most glaring weakness until recently has been a lack of confidence.

He was truly dreadful in that Russian game. However, its now increasingly difficult for Brian Kerr to ignore the merits of including this first team Premiership regular in the squad. Who knows... if Mark Hughes continues to set the fire under his arse. He 'might' become a ready made replacement fro a certain Roy Keane. He has all the physical attributes to be a box to box player. His first touch is better than Kilbane. His game mentality is still a work in progress, with progress made recently.

Still a ways to go.

SKBIO-BAN

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reid although picked on the wing moved inside for the second half where it seemed his job was to track Roy. He done well and used possession well in difficult circumstances as Blackburn played one up front so no real outlet. He also got a kick from Roy for his trouble. Keane got booked for it. Blackburn frustrated Manu and a few of the Man U players got silly. Reid has filled out and has the engine and stature to play central mid

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Yeah!! Against Russia he was pepped up on Goof balls allright..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Well said Irish Praha and SKBIO Toronto.

Against Russia it was obvious he & Carr had no understanding between them at all so maybe it wasn't just his fault.

He's been doing well in the last 10 weeks and things are really only now beginning to happen for him in the Prem. He started his Blackburn career out of position at right-full and then got injured. After that Blackburn were struggling and he was not always in the team. When he was they often played a dire brand of football that hardly suited him so he's lost a lot of time and it's understandable his confidence needs repairing. I think Kerr could contribute here by selecting him for his squads.

At Millwall he played mainly RHM but I saw him in central midfield against Southampton in an FA Cup match and he was superb. I think he looks a much better central midfielder than right-sided player.

Jimmy Armfield on 5 Live singled him out as being impressive against MUFC on Saturday.

I think this guy will have plenty to offer us in CM if he stays injury free & confident. I'd have him in ahead of Miller by a long way. The guy is playing well week-in week out now. Miller just doesn't figure at MUFC. I think Kerr would actually do Miller a favour by dropping him from the sqaud as it could prompt him to seek a move. It sends out the wrong message to players performing well if players playing for the reserves are under no pressure to keep their places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I see he had another good game today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Aye, he played great today and has to have forced his way into the squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Get him back.Wonderful game.Just hope he stays fit and continues to improve.He is a determined player,big and strong and can get the odd goal as he did to-day.I think we may need him anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What position did he play in today? I think he could really do a job for us in central mid field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Seemed to be the right side of a central midfield 3, put in the cross that got turned in for the og, and scored himself.

Been playing consistently well over the last 2 months or so (esp the last 2 games) and was on standby for Israel, should be in the next squad, ahead of Miller anyway

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Both Reid and Richard Dunne(again) got man of the match in their games.How many times is that for Dunne this season?He is playing out of his skin which is really reasuaring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Dunne came third in the official site poll behind goal scorer Musampa, and Fowler who was also outstanding.

Few quotes from the paper:
    Dunne was outstanding, dealing completely with the threat posed by Fernando Morientes and ensuring that Liverpool failed to score for the first time in 15 matches against City.
    When Liverpool did pass the ball, they found space down the left, where John Arne Riise was delivering fine crosses, which were either wasted on his forwards are dealt with by Dunne
    As for Reid:
    Blackburn warmed up for next weekend's FA Cup semi-final with an emphatic win that should secure their Premiership survival for this season, with Ireland's Steven Reid the main driving force behind the victory.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    He made it into soccernet's team of the week with the following comments:

"Saturday was possibly Steven Reid's best game for Blackburn. He out-worked and out-fought all in his path for Rovers in their 3-0 win over a lacklustre Southampton side and was on hand with two... alright, one goal.

His powerful cross from the left flank was too hot for Andreas Jakobsson to handle and he couldn't do anything other than put through his own net. But there was no doubt over the third goal, after Saints made a mess of clearing a corner Reid was on hand to hammer home in the 55th minute."

If he can reproduce that kind of form at international level, which I have no douth he can, then he would be a great addition to the Irish squad/first 11.

BTW Kilbane made it into the Sky Sports team of the week
    He must of had his one good game in ten
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 11/04/2005 at 11:58 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it is now reasonable to think that Alan Quinn and Liam Millers place in the squad in June is in severe Jeopardy with Stephen Reids preformance of late, I feel it is Quinn that may suffer ahead of Miller!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha
    BTW Kilbane made it into the Sky Sports team of the week
    He must of had his one good game in ten
    If Kilbane wasn't on that pitch yesterday Everton would only have won by half the margin. He superbly laid two of the goals on a plate.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    If Kilbane wasn't on that pitch yesterday Everton would only have won by half the margin. He superbly laid two of the goals on a plate.
    Saw MOTD2 on tape yesterday. Kilbane's contribution to 2 of the goals was class alright, but only really good luck saved him from an assist in a goal for Palace. He tried a fancy flick which went straight to a Palace player. 3 seconds later they hit the post!

With Robbie Savage likely to return for Blackburn against Arsenal this w/e it'll be interrsting to see if Reid keeps his place. I'd say he's been playing too well to drop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites
    I think it is now reasonable to think that Alan Quinn and Liam Millers place in the squad in June is in severe Jeopardy with Stephen Reids preformance of late, I feel it is Quinn that may suffer ahead of Miller!
    Kerr is VERY loyal to some players, especially ones that he had at underage, like Miller and Quinn.

He seems to have a problem with Steven Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't think he has a problem with Reid. Its only since he actually announced the squad for Israel that he has been deserving of a call up imo. Other than that he had one or two good games since injury. Since the squad was announced though he has been superb. Obviously he deserved a callup ahead of Miller but as we know by now once you're out of the squad you have to play very well to get back in (its not just Reid).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Reid figured in Kerr's early teams but disappeared from his squads largely due to injury and absence of first team football. Now he's playing well he's making a pretty compelling case for Kerr to consider him.

Kerr certainly has been loyal to players in the past but with 2 suspensions from the squad that went to Israel he has room for at least one fresh face.

Barrett is one player who Kerr has also been loyal to but was ditched when he had to reduce his squad for a competitive game.

The next squad will be interesting alright. I really hope Reid makes it. It'd send out a pretty negative signal otherwise. I think Reid said something on icons.com or some website (like Harte) about being baffled why Kerr hasn't called him up. But previously he'd said that Kerr was great calling him to encourage him while he was injured, so who knows what their personal relationship is. Reid could be a big player for us in the future so get him involved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast