Bob who ? Nice to see our Jimmy Aggrey shirt selling well 😋

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Bohs should sue him as they’ve said it’s not Bob Marley
    I don't think anyone from Bohs actually said that. It was me pointing out that on the press release they didn't actually refer to Bob being on the jersey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    So if it’s not Bob Marley, which of the other acts is it meant to be a tribute to? Meat Loaf?

From the Bohs website: “The Home of Irish Football was graced in the 1970s by Thin Lizzy and the Boomtown Rats, in the 1980s by Bob Marley, Meatloaf and Black Sabbath, and in the 1990s by Faith No More, Sonic Youth, Ice Cube and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    This jersey, designed by Bohemian FC in conjunction with our new kit supplier O’Neills, gives a nod to that history – and to the stadium’s special place in the hearts of both football and music fans.”

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Who's saying it's not Marley? It clearly is.
    I just thought it was strange that Bohs didn't explicitly call it out. Why would they say it's a nod to the musical history, rather than just say it's a tribute to Marley, which it clearly is.
    I'm probably reading into it way too much.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    The Irish Indo has provided the answers...

Bohs purchased an image of a character with a striking resemblance to Bob Marley and placed it on the lower front of the jersey.
    Club chiefs were adamant that legal diligence had been conducted to ensure no risk of copyright infringement.

The club have already received more orders for the jersey, many from outside of Ireland, than all of their combined shirt sales, home and away, for 2018. And that will mean a substantial and much-needed boost for the club's coffers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    The Irish Indo has provided the answers...

Bohs purchased an image of a character with a striking resemblance to Bob Marley and placed it on the lower front of the jersey.
    Club chiefs were adamant that legal diligence had been conducted to ensure no risk of copyright infringement.

The club have already received more orders for the jersey, many from outside of Ireland, than all of their combined shirt sales, home and away, for 2018. And that will mean a substantial and much-needed boost for the club's coffers.
    so, massive sales for an away jerseys. Huge publicity for the club and our sponsors across the world and no suggestion of any adverse legal action. What's not to like ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    so, massive sales for an away jerseys. Huge publicity for the club and our sponsors across the world and no suggestion of any adverse legal action. What's not to like ?
    The Jersey!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It is certainly a marketing success for sure! Be interesting how much sales would generate income in real terms for Bohs. Do Bohs have an exclusive distribution deal for the shirt or will the many sports retailers jump on it and stock the shirt taking sales out of Bohs pocket. Maybe Bohs have their name/crest copyrighted so they get a cut of any sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I find it kind of hard to believe that Bohs are going to do that well out of the shirt. Are there really oodles of Bob Marley fans out there who have no other way of getting his image on a t shirt ? Granted it's got them a bit of publicity, but it's very hard to see it going beyond that. Oh, and if they are relying on arguing that it's not Bob Marley to stave off any legal action for copyright infringement, well, good luck with that !
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I find it kind of hard to believe that Bohs are going to do that well out of the shirt. Are there really oodles of Bob Marley fans out there who have no other way of getting his image on a t shirt ? Granted it's got them a bit of publicity, but it's very hard to see it going beyond that. Oh, and if they are relying on arguing that it's not Bob Marley to stave off any legal action for copyright infringement, well, good luck with that !
    To answer your first question, the answer is yes there are oodles of fans, so much so that every size is now sold out on the website. Bohs will be making a pretty penny out of this no matter how hard you find it to believe. It was a marketing masterstroke.

Also, the image on the jersey is not of Bob Marley but a Rastafarian individual (an image bought from a website). The new board at Bohs are very savvy with this type of thing and you would be deluded to think they did not check to see if they would be in any way shape or form open from a legal perspective. But look, jealously was always going to creep into this from other clubs (particularly Dublin) so keep hoping there's going to be legal action against Bohs, you may be waiting a while!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The Pats obsession with Bohs continues. If it isn't Dodge mouthing on twitter talking about our run or where we finished in the league relative to Pats, it's talking about our jersey.
    The jersey has sold more than our home and away combined for the last 2 years. So how won't we do well out of it? Will it break the internet and sell millions, meaning we can buy Dalyer and redevelop it outright and be able to compete with Dundalk? No!
    Will it be the best selling jersey in the league? Most definitely. It looks good too.

Think Pats at this stage are just desperate to create a rivalry with someone. Bohs have Rovers and Shels ahead of Pats. Rovers have us and possibly a few teams at the top. Pats just sitting there trying to be noticed. Simmer down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    What kind of figures are we actually talking about when you say better than the last 2 years together. Would your jersey sales have been high the last 2 years? That Stát sounds impressive, but not very substantive without knowing what your previous figures were. If you've already sold a few thousand, brilliant. If not, then the best sales in the league may end up a stretch.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    What kind of figures are we actually talking about when you say better than the last 2 years together. Would your jersey sales have been high the last 2 years? That Stát sounds impressive, but not very substantive without knowing what your previous figures were. If you've already sold a few thousand, brilliant. If not, then the best sales in the league may end up a stretch.
    The figure I heard sold so far was slightly over 1000, with many sales from overseas, with the first batch sold out and the club are working on making more available to be delivered before christmas.

Again, doing well is all relative. We've already done well out of selling the jersey. I'm not sure what some people expect? We're hardly gonna sell one million.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The jersey has caused divided opinion from even our own fanbase but it's sold out it's pre order allocation in less than 24 hours.
    I would assume more will be released closer to Xmas for early new year delivery and they will fly out the door too. The club are still inundated with requests and enquiries about it.
    It has apparently been given some positive feedback from one of Bob Marley's sons so that will give it more exposure.
    Bohs still have to release a home Jersey and a full leisure range from ONeills too so we will have a decent return from merchandising next season . We could conceivably sell 2000 jerseys before the season starts but with a large proportion of them to people who wouldn't have dreamed of buying a Bohs Jersey before.
    Win win for the club and when the season kicks off by extension decent publicity for the league by extension

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    The figure I heard sold so far was slightly over 1000, with many sales from overseas, with the first batch sold out and the club are working on making more available to be delivered before christmas.

Again, doing well is all relative. We've already done well out of selling the jersey. I'm not sure what some people expect? We're hardly gonna sell one million.
    If that's correct at over 1000 it's impressive, but it would be interesting to hear actual figures. Personally speaking I don't like it, looks more like a t shirt, but if they make decent revenue out of it, fair play. The only other figure I heard on sales recently was Dundalk sold 1,100 when the previous shirt was introduced in Nov 2015. That figure included kids and adults.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post

I was replying to the comment saying it will definitely be the biggest selling kit based on number already.

1000 already is a fantastic return. That said, if that's more than your home and away combined for the last 2 years, then your previous sales were fairly low at 250 shirts per jersey, per year. Completely understandable why the club went with something completely off the wall if that was the case.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    It has definitely sold 1000 on pre order as that was the committment from manufacturers to guarantee Xmas delivery . I think that could be upped soon
    It has outsold the combined jerseys for the last 2 years online not overall. It had sold more in an hour online than last year's away did online all season .
    I would figure with jersey changes and kids sizes we would sell more than 250 per jersey overall per annum . Certainly double the amount of homes than aways anyway.
    Most of those 1000 sales have been to non match goers and I would be confident would sell the same again before the jersey even hits the shelves of the club shop.
    It's a hard number to gauge at LOI level as kit suppliers vhave been notoriously brutal to deal with for a lot of clubs over the years but I'd say that is changing

20. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    what do those people say about two sets of player contracts ?
    That it was equally retarded.

But clubs who did that aren't bringing out a jersey with Bob Marley on that's not got Bob Marley on (wink, wink, nudge, nudge). Sure what could possibly go wrong ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    There are a lot of people out there who buy and/or collect quirky football shirts. You only have to look at what some lower league Spanish clubs have done in recent years to understand that there is a market for this kind of thing. I can see how it's doing well.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast