Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Kits 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    This could have all been so avoidable had Cork just stuck an image of Eddie Hobbs on their jersey, no matter the colour.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    What an utterly bizarre post.

It's a jersey. A jersey in colours we gave used before. Therefore we do not find it a big deal for them to be used again, despite out current rivals also using those colours. Hence, it's not comparable to Bohs /rovers or Harps/Derry.

You're getting a bit dramatic about it all. The jump to us thinking the rivalry is over is simply nonsense.

The rivalry is real, but it has not impacts our views of jersey colours, as is obvious since our club didn't see it as an issue, nor do our fans overall. The jersey has gotten a positive reaction and will likely be a popular seller. Despite your feelings that we should be annoyed or care about it for some reason.
    There is nothing bizarre about wondering why on earth a club would chose to play in the same colours as a rival. The explination you give is that the rivalry does not run deep enough for people to care. Yet that same rivalry has driven fans that are claiming not to care to have behaved very much in a way that they do care. It is contradictory. I set out a few example of how similar the choice of shirt is to our own and your response is that of meh its a short lived rivalry so no association at all. But just have a look at the kit and the comparisons. It is actually following the leader. If Cork fans dont question the choice its because they are convincing themselves that there isnt a comparison. Cork City have not played in black and white in the past. Black yes with various trims but not in a shirt that looks more like a Dundalk jersey than the Dundalk jersey. The Oscar Wilde adage is quite apt!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Harps released a teaser of the away jersey for next season. Looks like a return to the popular luminous yellow.

FB_IMG_1543014643041.jpg
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Are we genuinely comparing Cork vs Dundalk to the likes of Rovers vs Bohs because Cork released a kit that just happens to use two colours that Dundalk use in their kits, sometimes not even in the same kit just in general? Also lads Dundalk didn't invent the concept of black and white jerseys, get over yourselves.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    So we'll just post pictures of new kits and say nothing about them?
    Where's the craic in that ffs
    Unless it's Shams/Bohs based banter(the greatest rivalry in World soccer)we should just all just zip our gobs and say nothing just to keep you happy!?
    Dundalk/Cork isn't a rivalry? Airbrush out the last 5 years of LoI history while you're there.

Get over yourself lad.
    Last edited by ToberonaTornado; 23/11/2018 at 10:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It was a bohs fan that first mentioned their Green jersey being rejected due to local rivalry. I referred to a non derby rivalry. Its still a strange choice under the circumstances currently. Its not just the use of colours but general design also along with timing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It was a bohs fan that first mentioned their Green jersey being rejected due to local rivalry. I referred to a non derby rivalry. Its still a strange choice under the circumstances currently. Its not just the use of colours but general design also along with timing.
    It really isn't. I don't like it as I've already mentioned. But Dundalk fans seem to have brought silly season to a new level. If it's any consolation we're not likely to wear it against you.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    So we'll just post pictures of new kits and say nothing about them?
    Where's the craic in that ffs
    Unless it's Shams/Bohs based banter(the greatest rivalry in World soccer)we should just all just zip our gobs and say nothing just to keep you happy!?
    Dundalk/Cork isn't a rivalry? Airbrush out the last 5 years of LoI history while you're there.

Get over yourself lad.
    Say stuff about them but don't talk ****e about "using a rivals colours". Dundalks jerseys are predominantly white with a bit of black sometimes thrown in, this jersey is black with some white added, looks nothing like a dundalk jersey.

It is a rivalry, but it's a temporary one, in 20 years people won't be going "remember when Cork had a jersey that looked like a dundalk jersey" because one it doesn't and two even if they think it did by then it'll be a case of "so what?" and carry the same impact as if it looked like a Finn Harps jersey. Whereas if Bohs wore a green and white kit it could be 60 years from now and people would remember it and remind them they wore their rivals colours, or to borrow another example if Dundalk wore claret and blue it would be remembered.

Dundalk don't have a claim over the colour black if you add some white, get over yourselves.
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 24/11/2018 at 4:26 PM.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    There is nothing bizarre about wondering why on earth a club would chose to play in the same colours as a rival. The explination you give is that the rivalry does not run deep enough for people to care. Yet that same rivalry has driven fans that are claiming not to care to have behaved very much in a way that they do care. It is contradictory. I set out a few example of how similar the choice of shirt is to our own and your response is that of meh its a short lived rivalry so no association at all. But just have a look at the kit and the comparisons. It is actually following the leader. If Cork fans dont question the choice its because they are convincing themselves that there isnt a comparison. Cork City have not played in black and white in the past. Black yes with various trims but not in a shirt that looks more like a Dundalk jersey than the Dundalk jersey. The Oscar Wilde adage is quite apt!
    We've never played in a black and white Jersey before? Wait, you're saying it's not the right type of black and white Jersey? Come off it ffs.

IMG_20181124_180220.jpg

You seem very upset that we don't care that you have had similar jerseys before. You're very worked up that we don't care more about you, and you using the colours previously. Why is that?

City fans don't care, it's very popular. You seem to be trying to make something out of nothing to fulfil what you think the rivalry should be.

Our staff didn't think of you when picking this shirt. Our fans didn't think of you when it was released. Seriously, get over yereselves.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    to the naked eye that cork city away jersey is more black than white. dundalks is more white than black. end of story. i rest my case.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    As a City fan, I do think it is a bit Dundalky. I would prefer a bit of yellow and green trim in tribute to Cork Celtic, but there you go.

If City and Dundalk were at opposite ends of the table then it's a non issue. But being rivals at the moment, then it's careless faux pas that the football fans on our BOM should have been more sensitive to.

To the Dundalk fans who think it's in homage to them?? Dream on.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    As I understand it, the main part of Dundalk's jersey looks more white than black, and Cork's looks more black than white. It's obviously a negative for Caulfield.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    to the naked eye that cork city away jersey is more black than white. dundalks is more white than black. end of story. i rest my case.
    Have you looked at the series of our own away kits on the previous page. sullen has described what fan should have been in the back of the mind. Its going to have plenty of jibes at games. I am far from upset I think its a great shirt and Dundalk fans like it, it is a strange choice at this time. When it was Cork and Drogheda that were rivals for a seaspn or 2 and if claret and blue were picked as club colours it would raise eyebrows, it is the very same scenario as to now no matter how Cork fans want to dress it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    No, it's not, because we haven't previously had claret and blue and a campaign about going back to it would simply be weird. Despite your incorrect claims that we haven't used the colours before, and somehow acting as if it's irrelevant, it's not.

Again, you seem to want city fans to be annoyed, and are adamant that's how we 'should' feel. But the vast majority are not. And the idea that we should care that it would lead to jibes at games come off it.
    Last edited by micls; 25/11/2018 at 1:03 PM.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Have you looked at the series of our own away kits on the previous page. sullen has described what fan should have been in the back of the mind. Its going to have plenty of jibes at games. I am far from upset I think its a great shirt and Dundalk fans like it, it is a strange choice at this time. When it was Cork and Drogheda that were rivals for a seaspn or 2 and if claret and blue were picked as club colours it would raise eyebrows, it is the very same scenario as to now no matter how Cork fans want to dress it up.
    for some reason on the laptop nesta all that appears is the photo of that cork city away jersey and none of the dundalk away kits.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Harps released a teaser of the away jersey for next season. Looks like a return to the popular luminous yellow.

Haven't read the rest of the thread but I assume the Sporting Fingal fans are out in force. You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    When I saw it, I didn't think "but those are Dundalk's colours" and I doubt many fans at all did think that.

I very much doubt that the thought ever entered the head of those designing it either.

This thing about imitation or flattery is total horsesh!t as far as I can see, by a few posters with a long history of it.

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Between 'High voltage' and CCFC 'Back in Black' this thread screams AC/DC ;-) Blow up yer VAR!
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

28. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The comments on imitation or flattery were obviously tongue in cheek osurusan. Nobody would actually think that Cork were trying to imitate Dundalk. The old adage just did fit in a wink emoji way. If the jerseys on the previous page cannot be viewed that didnt help my point that this jersey and previous Dundalk ones are very similar. I was neither upset nor bothered that Cork fans werent bothered, I just found it an unusual design/colours due to similarities. People dont agree and thats fine, I will concede that I was probably projecting. I was also pretty cranky over the weekends turn of events so in an argumentative mode. I also thought that that previous Cork black strip was just black with no white stripe.

Whether directed at me or not Osarusan your final comment was unnecessary and tbh your own posts can be quite churlish and priggish. Though that is possibly your intention at times.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I also thought that that previous Cork black strip was just black with no white stripe.
    I originally said we've had 2, but we've actually had 4. I forgot about the latest 2 including the one micls posted.

This is one from 10 years ago:

https://www.oldfootballshirts.com/fr...rt-s24630.html

And here's the other 2:

https://museumofjerseys.com/2017/01/...black-to-blue/

https://www.adverts.ie/team-sports/c...jersey/3883380

As far as I know the final 2 were throwbacks to Cork Celtic, the 2005 version marking Cork as European Capital of Culture. As for the black and red......that was from the time of Arkaga where absolutely nothing made sense so we can probably write that off.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast