Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Kits 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    It does a wee bit, but looks more like a Sligo GAA top.
    I think it's not great, looks like a training top.
    It needs more colour. Derry have had black away tops before, but at least with some red trim and the like. They worked.
    It's strange that the Cork and Clonakilty logos are in black and white, but the UCC logo isn't.
    So are you saying we need more or less colour?

I assume UCC wouldn't agree to the monochrome logo but the other sponsors were ok with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    You do realize 100% of the shares of the club are owned by members don't you ?
    Except the 50% you pimped out at the first opportunity, yes.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Like somebody else said, it would be better as all black, maybe with just white borders in cuffs and collars. Just looks a bit weird to me, it's not a design we see on football shirts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Do Dundalk own the colours black and white in every combination? Its not like its a unique colour combo. It doesn't look remotely like a Dundalk jersey to me.
    It's not that they own it but considering the rivalry it's an odd choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Except the 50% you pimped out at the first opportunity, yes.
    I genuinely don't know why i'm rising to this but ....
    50% IF we dont pay an interest free loan back over 10 years or re-finance at the time +++
    The guy who technically and temporarily owns the 50% is a MEMBER and has been involved with Rovers for 50 years so the MEMBERS own 100%
    and when the loan is paid back or refinanced the members will still own 100%.

anyway i'm wasting my time but ho hum,

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Interesting choice of colours. If it was all black but black and white? They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
    It's a bit Louth alright.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I genuinely don't know why i'm rising to this but ....
    50% IF we dont pay an interest free loan back over 10 years or re-finance at the time +++
    The guy who technically and temporarily owns the 50% is a MEMBER and has been involved with Rovers for 50 years so the MEMBERS own 100%
    and when the loan is paid back or refinanced the members will still own 100%.

anyway i'm wasting my time but ho hum,
    yep, 50% = 1 man and 50% = all other members is that the 'model' ye were going around preaching to others about ?
    As long as its pimped to a member, its still a members owned club you really are hilarious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    yep, 50% = 1 man and 50% = all other members is that the 'model' ye were going around preaching to others about ?
    As long as its pimped to a member, its still a members owned club you really are hilarious.

Ho hum,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    So are you saying we need more or less colour?

I assume UCC wouldn't agree to the monochrome logo but the other sponsors were ok with it.
    More, don't use monochrome.

By way of comparison, this is one of my favourite Derry tops.
    https://www.thekitman.co.uk/new-derr...13-away-shirt/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    More, don't use monochrome.

By way of comparison, this is one of my favourite Derry tops.
    https://www.thekitman.co.uk/new-derr...13-away-shirt/
    Not a fan of that. I'm not a huge fan of our new one either. I like it well enough but probably not enough to buy it. I do like the monochrome effect though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Ho hum,
    He doesn't have two to rub together, best leaving him to his rambles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Don't love, but we've had black kits previously and black with white. No big deal really. Didn't remind me of dundalk particularly but I'd have associated them more strongly with white. Some people seem to love it, it should sell well anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    It is very like some former Dundalk kits. Clubs register their colours with the FAI and Dundalk have black and white down. Its not stopping anyone else using the colours but be honest if Harps chose red and white hoops as a 2nd set of colours do you not think it would raise eyebrows? It wouldnt be a candystripe jersey but close enough for a reaction considering rivalry. Bohs even considering green and white that wasnt anything like hooped shirts was baulked at by club members. Do you think Drogheda United would consider a black and white kit in any combination and the rivalry there has always been minimal really. Its a bizarre decision no matter how nice the shirt is to pick the two primary colours for a jersey of a club that have just reclaimed a league and cup double from you and have had a feisty rivalry for that last 5 years. You can claim as much as you like that it doesnt remind you of Dundalk but say to any LoI were playing charades 'black and white' the first reply would be 'Dundalk FC' not Cork City away kit. I would love to know what the rationale was behind this choice as there are multiple defunct versions of Cork football clubs that there isnt a shortage of colour combinations that would be an historical nod to them and would not be the colours of Corks main rivals in modern times and one of the all time great rivalries between two clubs that is not a derby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I can only post 3 images at a time but here are a few of Dundalk 2nd kits over the years. I'm missing a few from prior to the 2000s that havent graphics done up for them that are very similar design rather than generally of similar colours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    I wouldn't be overly familiar with former dundalk away kits, which I'd imagine is true for most of our support. For me, a black away kit with some white on it just doesn't jump out as dundalk. It may to others, and that's fine.

The difference between the rovers/Bohs harps/Derry scenarios is that it's not been a historical strong rivalry, bar a few periods. We've had black kits before and black kits with white before. So, for our fans a black kit with white doesn't seem a big deal or surprising in any way. There's no reaction really, it's just not seen as a rivals kits.

Like, I get the argument that others would see black as a dundalk colour, and I'm not disputing it, just saying it wouldn't be something that would jump out to city fans and just doesn't seem a big deal to me.

The rivalry with dundalk for me is very different to the likes of a Bohs rovers rivalry. It's just about current success. If you guys ended up back in the first division next year (or vice versa) it would die off veyy quickly. I don't think it's at the level (like Bohs rovers) that we would care about kit colours being similar. Like, we'd sing **** the lily whites, but there wasn't a concern about our all white Jersey this season!

I just don't think that level of rivalry is there. It's more of an on the pitch thing, than a whole club/symbols/colours thing.

As I said, I'm not pushed on the jersey personally. But I wouldn't at all have looked at it and gone 'that's like a dundalk jersey'. Possibly because of the lack of background to ye're older kits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I wouldn't be overly familiar with former dundalk away kits, which I'd imagine is true for most of our support. For me, a black away kit with some white on it just doesn't jump out as dundalk. It may to others, and that's fine.

The difference between the rovers/Bohs harps/Derry scenarios is that it's not been a historical strong rivalry, bar a few periods. We've had black kits before and black kits with white before. So, for our fans a black kit with white doesn't seem a big deal or surprising in any way. There's no reaction really, it's just not seen as a rivals kits.

Like, I get the argument that others would see black as a dundalk colour, and I'm not disputing it, just saying it wouldn't be something that would jump out to city fans and just doesn't seem a big deal to me.

The rivalry with dundalk for me is very different to the likes of a Bohs rovers rivalry. It's just about current success. If you guys ended up back in the first division next year (or vice versa) it would die off veyy quickly. I don't think it's at the level (like Bohs rovers) that we would care about kit colours being similar. Like, we'd sing **** the lily whites, but there wasn't a concern about our all white Jersey this season!

I just don't think that level of rivalry is there. It's more of an on the pitch thing, than a whole club/symbols/colours thing.

As I said, I'm not pushed on the jersey personally. But I wouldn't at all have looked at it and gone 'that's like a dundalk jersey'. Possibly because of the lack of background to ye're older kits.
    You sure are repeating the same point so are you sure you are not protesting too much? There is such a tone of defeatism and resignation in your post. You say your fans dont know that black and white, even if spun as black with a bit of/some/little white, are not colours most associated with another club? That is complete horsesh!t, of course Cork fans know it they are chosing to ignore it. If they know how many extra toes we supposedly have they know our colours lol. Claiming ignorance is never a defence of anything tbh.
    You talk then of the last 5 years of rivalry as being supposedly not that significant!? That makes the conduct of McNulty, Caulfield and the significant animosity shown by a number of Cork fans for Stephen Kenny and Dundalk all the more bizzare and irrational. You just have to have a look at the ccfc forum to get that and as someone that was banned for being nothing more than Dundalk fan then you have missed the extent of the impact of the recent rivalry between the two clubs had on a number of your fans, I dont need to name them as you would know who they are already!
    I have no care to talk up longevity of the rivalry either and agree that either side slips and the niggle goes, but it is the most protracted non derby rivalry in modern LoI history - Im sure that has not been missed by you. It has captured the general media's attention with more column inches than in a long time if ever on LoI competition certainly in modern times. The Cork and Dundalk public in attendances at that fixture in particular, and attendances in Cork have soared since the rivalry kicked off and the figures are there to have a look at if you have forgotten. We recently one of the highest cup final attendances in 50 years also.

The revisionism in your post is that of a fan who is struggling with the outcome of the season and worrying about the implications for your club and indeed talking down the bizzare decision to chose current rival's colours as a kit. You feel the rivalry is at an end and so are minimising it, consigning it to a blip of the past. That's a pity as it was the way that the two clubs were slugging it out that the domestic game was getting some traction with general interest being generated. The hope would be that that would be built upon with other clubs like both Rovers and Waterford joing us in competing for the league!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    What an utterly bizarre post.

It's a jersey. A jersey in colours we gave used before. Therefore we do not find it a big deal for them to be used again, despite out current rivals also using those colours. Hence, it's not comparable to Bohs /rovers or Harps/Derry.

You're getting a bit dramatic about it all. The jump to us thinking the rivalry is over is simply nonsense.

The rivalry is real, but it has not impacts our views of jersey colours, as is obvious since our club didn't see it as an issue, nor do our fans overall. The jersey has gotten a positive reaction and will likely be a popular seller. Despite your feelings that we should be annoyed or care about it for some reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness". Oscar Wilde

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast