Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fixtures weekend 19th Oct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    While you could be right about them being better players, it's hard to argue they're more important. There's an absolute dearth of top quality strikers in the league at the moment, snagging one who can score 20+ goals is nearly the equivalent of 2 of your other players in terms of impact.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    The whole 'over an entire season' thing is just silly, and solely designed to exclude Maguire, and thereby go on about how he has done what 'no other striker in the modern game' has done.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    The whole 'over an entire season' thing is just silly, and solely designed to exclude Maguire, and thereby go on about how he has done what 'no other striker in the modern game' has done.
    Over the course of the season is simply the primary way most statisticians, supporters and commentators tend to view goal scoring records. It is also a simple statement of facts that he has matched Brendan Bradley's goal scoring record of 1975-76 season and one more next week will surpass it.

Saluting Hoban's phenomenal goal scoring feats this season excludes no one

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Hoban looks a better footballer in 2018 (average goal per start 0.85) versus 2014 (average goal per start 0.69) but 2018 Dundalk team were a better team (average points per game 2.45 so far) versus 2014 Dundalk team (average 2.24 points per game) so bit easier to score more goals as a Dundalk striker in 2018 than 2014

I do think the league has declined in standard over that 4 year period but I don't think there is that must of a divergence in Hoban's stats and the respective Dundalk teams in 2014 & 2018 to suggest anything but that he is a top LOI striker and a 'MVP' difference maker to win this league. His disappointing time in England should not overshadow his exceptional performance this season. Ireland call-up talk is another story
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    No one is denying he’s an excellent League of Ireland striker but from watching the game back (I’m a sadist) RTE made it sound like he had scored the most goals ever in a league season and just dismissed what Turnball et al did. It’s like you’re watching a game in England and all they talk about is Premier League records as if there was no top flight football in England before the Premier League started.

Dundalk were absolutely brilliant on a Friday night. Be glad to see the back of this season (again).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Why choose Bradley's tally as a record?
    A - it's nothing more than a Finn Harps club record, at the end of the day.
    B - it wasn't even achieved in the era of our own Premier Division.

The equivalent would be Cork City claiming a third successive FAI Cup (should it happen) would be a record.
    Of course, it would beat the club's own record of two but would ignore the superior achievements of Shamrock Rovers just because that was a long time ago.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    No one is denying he’s an excellent League of Ireland striker but from watching the game back (I’m a sadist) RTE made it sound like he had scored the most goals ever in a league season and just dismissed what Turnball et al did. It’s like you’re watching a game in England and all they talk about is Premier League records as if there was no top flight football in England before the Premier League started.

Dundalk were absolutely brilliant on a Friday night. Be glad to see the back of this season (again).
    thats exactly what glitw podcast said as well. turnbull is the record holder end of story!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Are you insane? Do you not know how the turgid anti-football thing works by now?
    Oh tongue was firmly placed in cheek!! On the Hoban goal scoring record thing, Turnbull's record is obviously being airbrushed out of the history books by RTE cause he played in Cork obviously, ye know with that anti Cork conspiracy and all

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Congratz Harps - I’ll be cheering you on vs Limerick 👍🍺
    Drogheda United in this together

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Congratz Harps - I’ll be cheering you on vs Limerick 👍🍺
    Mad for a trip to Jackman next year. Don't blame you.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Oh tongue was firmly placed in cheek!! On the Hoban goal scoring record thing, Turnbull's record is obviously being airbrushed out of the history books by RTE cause he played in Cork obviously, ye know with that anti Cork conspiracy and all
    I have it on good authority that Turnbull committed a foul in the lead-up to ones of those goals and, as per Cork football policy, he has been completely expunged from all records.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    RTE arbitrarily picked a goalscoring record that Hoban can break in order to create some drama and discussion during televised games.

The season ended very early this year so all real drama was sucked out of it.

The real significance of Hoban's goalscoring exploits is not what players did 50 or 80 years ago, it is that no other striker managed to score this quantity of goals in a season in recent memory. It is a fantastic achievement and one that should be lauded.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    RTE arbitrarily picked a goalscoring record that Hoban can break in order to create some drama and discussion during televised games.

The season ended very early this year so all real drama was sucked out of it.

The real significance of Hoban's goalscoring exploits is not what players did 50 or 80 years ago, it is that no other striker managed to score this quantity of goals in a season in recent memory. It is a fantastic achievement and one that should be lauded.

Naturally, it should be - and is - seen as a very fine achievement.
    That's not the problem people have with it at all. The problem is that it's not and isn't even close to the existing record.
    Whether that nonsense came from RTE or wherever is actually not the point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Brendan Bradley's record is apparently the record goals in a season in the 2 division era, as opposed to Jimmy Gauld & Jimmy Turnbull who played in a single division league of Ireland. Now how that has any effect on the number of goals you score in a season is beyond me, it's a bit like the UK football media using "In the premier league era" as the benchmark for records broken as if there was no football before it.

Anyway, I think we can all agree Hoban is class.
    Mon the Town!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Brendan Bradley's record is apparently the record goals in a season in the 2 division era, as opposed to Jimmy Gauld & Jimmy Turnbull who played in a single division league of Ireland. Now how that has any effect on the number of goals you score in a season is beyond me, it's a bit like the UK football media using "In the premier league era" as the benchmark for records broken as if there was no football before it.

I suppose the logic is that it the standard of opposition should be higher in a two division structure. However, that is a tenuous argument.

It is probably better to concentrate on Hoban's achievement being unmatched in the modern era.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Bradley's club record was set in the single-division era.
    But keep deluding yourself.
    And spare a thought for Hoban who, if he scores next week, will probably believe he holds a new LOI record only to told, "Sorry, you're actually six short".
    Surprised particularly at this whole "record" stuff from Dundalk, a club which probably has the best team of LOI statties in the country.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Bradley's club record was set in the single-division era.
    But keep deluding yourself.
    And spare a thought for Hoban who, if he scores next week, will probably believe he holds a new LOI record only to told, "Sorry, you're actually six short".
    Surprised particularly at this whole "record" stuff from Dundalk, a club which probably has the best team of LOI statties in the country.
    Fair enough, I did say apparently because that was the reason I had heard for using Bradley as the modern benchmark.
    Mon the Town!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Mad for a trip to Jackman next year. Don't blame you.
    Absolute
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I suppose the logic is that it the standard of opposition should be higher in a two division structure. However, that is a tenuous argument.

It is probably better to concentrate on Hoban's achievement being unmatched in the modern era.
    What does modern era mean? Is there a cut off point? Is it a rolling era? It seems very arbitrary. In England they have specific cuts offs that records apply to. Premier League and Post War era being the two most common ones that spring to mind.

Hoban is class, and deserves all the credit hes getting. We were linked with him last summer and the talk was that he was asking for too much money and that ourselves Rovers and Dundalk all balked at his request. He has shown he was worth every penny and in hindsight I'd wished we'd backed a truck load of cash up to his house.

This record stuff is showing how little our national broadcaster knows about the League of Ireland and cares about accuracy. This would have been a great opportunity to say "Hoban has scored the most goals in a League of Ireland season since..." and show how long our league has been around and shed some light on a forgotten corner of the leagues history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post

just imagine him playing up front with Rovers 10 goal a season hat stand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast