Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shels sack Heary

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts

Shels sack Heary

According to reports. Or don’t renew his contract to be precise. An attractive enough job for someone given their recent investment and the move to Dalymount coming up in the future.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Move to Dalymount is at least 2/3 years off. Shels best option is to somehow get promotion before that so they can maximize on the move (pick up some of the 'new' support likely to be drawn to the stadium).Moving to Dalymount while playing in the first (if Bohs are still Premier) could be a really tough ask in terms of attracting any new support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I think Shels might live to regret getting rid of Heary, seemed like he was going in the right direction with them to me, any Shels lads have any info why? what was his football style like?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Heary seems a bit of a chancer tbh, has a widely bad reputation as a manager including from former players. If Shels have recently put money in and want to get it right next season there's probably more trustworthy options out there to get the job done.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    According to reports. Or don’t renew his contract to be precise. An attractive enough job for someone given their recent investment and the move to Dalymount coming up in the future.
    I know they don't have much choice in the matter, but I'm not sure the move to Dalymount will be a positive thing overall for Shels.

Bohs are doing a good job at sewing up support in north inner-Dublin, so it's hard to see a club coming into their turf and being anything more than the second-string there. Especially if they can't get back into the PD and stay at that level. It'll be very hard for them to carve out a distinct identity and support base ongoing from Phibsborough.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah I was thinking more in terms of facilities from a playing point of view to be honest.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    I think Shels might live to regret getting rid of Heary, seemed like he was going in the right direction with them to me, any Shels lads have any info why? what was his football style like?
    Not surprising, the club is heading into 2019 in a win the First Division now mode, too long rotting in that division now. It's looking like Bohs will be in Tolka for 2020/21 and the club needs to be re-established in the Premier Division ahead of the Dalymount move if it is to ever have any chance of working out

Heary mostly played conservative football during his tenure, reflected in the final table this season with the lowest number of defeats and lowest number of goals conceded, but the lack of attacking football resulted in too many draws and you will never be promoted out of that division by just being solid, there was a sense that Heary had a ceiling and this season was it. With the new regime I expect only a proven name who is not an insider will be hired, equipped with a budget to sign proven players and with experience of working with young players. The Sun are linking Martin Russell to the job which wouldn't be a surprise
    Last edited by total hoofball; 17/10/2018 at 7:13 PM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Heary blew his best chance to get promoted this year. With the squad they had, they should have been closer to a title push, and really should have been beating Drogheda in the playoff.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I know they don't have much choice in the matter, but I'm not sure the move to Dalymount will be a positive thing overall for Shels.

Bohs are doing a good job at sewing up support in north inner-Dublin, so it's hard to see a club coming into their turf and being anything more than the second-string there. Especially if they can't get back into the PD and stay at that level. It'll be very hard for them to carve out a distinct identity and support base ongoing from Phibsborough.
    Agreed. Gonna be very hard for Shels to attract new fans with Bohs playing a division higher. Think they will realise they got the bad end of the deal sooner or later

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    A lot of this famously implies that either Bohs or Shels had a choice

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I know they don't have much choice in the matter...
    * cough *

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    There remains a huge level of opposition to the move to Dalymount among Shels supporters, unfortunately (for them) they don't have any alternative. the Dalymount redevelopment will go ahead (whenever) with or without them so unless someone else wants to build them a ground its Dalymount.

It will be difficult for them to establish themselves in what is Bohs 'home' area but there will be a dividend in terms of the new shiny stadium and the 'new' fanbase that might attract.Shels need to put together a plan on how they can pick up a slice of that while retaining as much as possible of their traditional support.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    There's plenty of alternatives for Shels.

A redeveloped Morton Stadium along with Fingal Council would be a far more attractive opportunity for them. Seems the fans want to push for that but the board want to go with Dalymount. At least that's what I've taken from the whole thing.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

A redeveloped Morton Stadium along with Fingal Council would be a far more attractive opportunity for them. Seems the fans want to push for that but the board want to go with Dalymount. At least that's what I've taken from the whole thing.
    I think that proposal (Morton) is wishful thinking (certainly the involvement of Fingal Co Co). without public funding its pretty much a non starter.Even given the considerable work already done, the community aspect and the historic value of the Dalymount project it will be hard work to get the money (circa 30million) to fund it.That proposal (Dalymount) is now going forward with or without Shels, with the full backing of DCC and the FAI. I would suggest it is very unlikely any further public money will be available for redevelopment of Morton and without public money it ain't going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I think that proposal (Morton) is wishful thinking (certainly the involvement of Fingal Co Co). without public funding its pretty much a non starter.Even given the considerable work already done, the community aspect and the historic value of the Dalymount project it will be hard work to get the money (circa 30million) to fund it.That proposal (Dalymount) is now going forward with or without Shels, with the full backing of DCC and the FAI. I would suggest it is very unlikely any further public money will be available for redevelopment of Morton and without public money it ain't going to happen.
    Theres two reasons I'd be in strong agreement with that, One being that unless im very mistaken Fingal has the smallest budget of any of the four councils in Dublin so they dont have the money to put into it and from a central government perspective its hard to justify dolling out say another 6 million (6000 seatish x 1 million per 1000) when the economic impact of Shels in the area would arguably be negligible. The second is the fact that the issue with Morton has never been so much the facilities there though they are terrible, its that its really difficult for anyone to get to

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Theres two reasons I'd be in strong agreement with that, One being that unless im very mistaken Fingal has the smallest budget of any of the four councils in Dublin so they dont have the money to put into it and from a central government perspective its hard to justify dolling out say another 6 million (6000 seatish x 1 million per 1000) when the economic impact of Shels in the area would arguably be negligible. The second is the fact that the issue with Morton has never been so much the facilities there though they are terrible, its that its really difficult for anyone to get to

Doubt any local authority would be able to fund building / redeveloping a stadium without central funding.Central funding is dished out on a 'preferential' basis and the FAI have earmarked Dalymount and Cork as their preferred options for stadium development, so any proposal to put public money into Morton would be contrary to the FAI wishes (highly unlikely). The Dalymount project is part of a major redevelopment of the area fitting in with new third level campus and on the new LUAS line. it has extensive local community options for residents of the area and the visitor centre proposed for Dalymount has tourist potential. There will still be opposition (its Ireland after all) and getting the funds freed up will be a task in itself but it has the basis for a viable public project. Morton (and probably Pats stadium proposal) will be in direct competition as it is unlikely two stadia will be funded.

I suspect Fingal County Council still have nightmares about the Fingal County 'project' and are not likely to get involved in football again any time soon

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

this is what i dont get. tolka park is only up the rd from dalier so how would that effect their support? Im surprised that shels didnt approach home farm to go into their ground- that would have being the area i would have aimed for if i was a shels fan instead of potentially fingal! tbh home farm would have being better for shels as at least they would have their own ground as such and closer to tolka than dalymount.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I doubt Home Farm would be overly keen for another LOI experience.

Ground-sharing works in other countries, no real reason it can't work here especially in a reasonably central location. Obviously Shels will need to get their act together and carve out a distinct identity which is tough when Bohs have done that very well already, but it isn't impossible.

Shels as the anti-hipsters perhaps?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    All the above begs the question does Dublin have too many teams? Taking into account population and the lack of interest by in large that population has in the domestic game, for me there's too many teams swimming around in too small a pond!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    this is what i dont get. tolka park is only up the rd from dalier so how would that effect their support? Im surprised that shels didnt approach home farm to go into their ground- that would have being the area i would have aimed for if i was a shels fan instead of potentially fingal! tbh home farm would have being better for shels as at least they would have their own ground as such and closer to tolka than dalymount.
    I agre with you RE the possible impact on support but I know Bohs are budgeting for a 30% drop in numbers for our 'stay' in Tolka. probably over conservative but all the indicators are that some level of support wont travel. With average gates of 2000 (roughly) that means Bohs expect 700 fans to drop off due to a change of about a mile.

Home Farm have no interest or inclination to share, and why would they ? Shels wouldn't bring a lot to any arrangement apart from rent and the ground would need a lot of work to get a licence. with little chance of public money or FAI money it would mean someone paying it out of their own pocket. Home farm would indeed have been better for Shels, but Shels would offer little to Home farm, and they are the ones with the ground.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast