Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Shels sack Heary

  1. #21
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    2,966
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    326
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    558
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    All the above begs the question does Dublin have too many teams? Taking into account population and the lack of interest by in large that population has in the domestic game, for me there's too many teams swimming around in too small a pond!
    And yet the teams relegated from the Premier and in most serious financial difficulty are Bray and Limerick. I think most would prefer a less Dublincentric League but it must be done on merit. there is no appetite here for the American franchise model and where non Dublin clubs were 'dropped in' (thinking Kilkenny City or Monaghan as prime examples) they just didn't work.
    Bohemian FC The Big Club since 1890

    From the Cradle to the Grave - BTID

  2. #22
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    10,857
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,547
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,001
    Thanked in
    1,364 Posts
    About a third of the teams in the league are from the Dublin area, which reflects the population pretty well.

  3. #23
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    768
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    212
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    this is what i dont get. tolka park is only up the rd from dalier so how would that effect their support? Im surprised that shels didnt approach home farm to go into their ground- that would have being the area i would have aimed for if i was a shels fan instead of potentially fingal! tbh home farm would have being better for shels as at least they would have their own ground as such and closer to tolka than dalymount.
    Home Farm have already lost one stadium to Shelbourne though. I'm not sure they'd be overly keen to repeat that mistake ?

  4. #24
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    768
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    212
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    About a third of the teams in the league are from the Dublin area, which reflects the population pretty well.
    Plus football is by and large an urban sport.

    Of the Top 10 population centres in the ROI - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Swords, Dundalk, Bray, Navan - only 2 don't themselves have an LOI club. And of them - Swords was essentially covered by Sporting Fingal, and Navan is arguably covered by Drogheda United.

    The 11th biggest population centre - Kilkenny city - tried but failed to sustain an LOI club, as did the 15th biggest (Newbridge).

    So in a country who's urban centres aren't generally big, it's hard to see where there realistically are obvious candidates for an LOI team to prosper which either don't already have one, or haven't previously tried and failed.

  5. #25
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    2,966
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    326
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    558
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Plus football is by and large an urban sport.

    Of the Top 10 population centres in the ROI - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Swords, Dundalk, Bray, Navan - only 2 don't themselves have an LOI club. And of them - Swords was essentially covered by Sporting Fingal, and Navan is arguably covered by Drogheda United.

    The 11th biggest population centre - Kilkenny city - tried but failed to sustain an LOI club, as did the 15th biggest (Newbridge).

    So in a country who's urban centres aren't generally big, it's hard to see where there realistically are obvious candidates for an LOI team to prosper which either don't already have one, or haven't previously tried and failed.
    I had forgotten Kildare County if ever there was an argument to start a football club - ground available (Newbridge Town) fast growing population area and a very urban type population. Sure, how could it NOT work ?
    Bohemian FC The Big Club since 1890

    From the Cradle to the Grave - BTID

  6. #26
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    768
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    273
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    212
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I had forgotten Kildare County if ever there was an argument to start a football club - ground available (Newbridge Town) fast growing population area and a very urban type population. Sure, how could it NOT work ?
    As we know, the percentage of Irish people who are open to supporting LOI football is pretty low.

    Would that then be exacerbated in commuter areas like Kildare, where many of those who are open to it come from areas or families which would already have an affiliation to an existing club in Dublin or elsewhere ? So they're as likely to support Bohs or Rovers as Kildare County - leaving an even smaller pool for the latter to appeal to ?

  7. #27
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    138
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    957
    Thanked in
    578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Navan is arguably covered by Drogheda United.

    .
    That's an argument doomed to fail

  8. #28
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    7,839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,799
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    524
    Thanked in
    439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Home Farm have already lost one stadium to Shelbourne though. I'm not sure they'd be overly keen to repeat that mistake ?
    forgot that home farm were in tolka before shels. explains that all right.
    Neale Fenn red and black army

  9. #29
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    68
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    288
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Plus football is by and large an urban sport.

    Of the Top 10 population centres in the ROI - Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Swords, Dundalk, Bray, Navan - only 2 don't themselves have an LOI club. And of them - Swords was essentially covered by Sporting Fingal, and Navan is arguably covered by Drogheda United.

    The 11th biggest population centre - Kilkenny city - tried but failed to sustain an LOI club, as did the 15th biggest (Newbridge).

    So in a country who's urban centres aren't generally big, it's hard to see where there realistically are obvious candidates for an LOI team to prosper which either don't already have one, or haven't previously tried and failed.
    Kilkenny can't even sustain a GAA football team

  10. #30
    Reserves ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    997
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    187
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Tim Clancy to Shels.
    He's(Clancy)is contracted to Drogs until eos 2019.

    honest interview with LMFM here from the Drogs chairman - https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/sun...clancy-future/

  11. #31
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    786
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    633
    Thanked in
    422 Posts
    Vinny Perth was mentioned a target also at work this week.

  12. #32
    Seasoned Pro Ezeikial's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,406
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    138
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    957
    Thanked in
    578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Vinny Perth was mentioned a target also at work this week.
    With Vinny going full time on a new contract recently, it is a long shot.

  13. #33
    Reserves joey B's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Donegal
    Posts
    868
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    37
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Ian Morris touted as Owen Hearys successor .

  14. #34
    Seasoned Pro marinobohs's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Location
    in the bar celebratingl
    Posts
    2,966
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    326
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    558
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Ian Morris touted as Owen Hearys successor .
    Apparently Clancy knocked them back (despite the 'huge' resources available - as per our shams 'insider' ).
    Bohemian FC The Big Club since 1890

    From the Cradle to the Grave - BTID

  15. #35
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    7,839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,799
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    524
    Thanked in
    439 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Ian Morris touted as Owen Hearys successor .
    so is stephen rice according to the sun today!
    Neale Fenn red and black army

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #36
    Reserves
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    547
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    194
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    150
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Couldn't see Rice being a popular appointment amongst the Shels support don't think that one would be runner.

    Morris appears to have done good work off the pitch with Bohs underage ranks but taking a punt on a rookie manager along with expectations of winning the FD title next season wouldn't make much sense

    But then again basically offering Tim Clancy the job after Drogheda's embarrasing performance against 9 man Shels two weeks earlier didn't make any sense either so who know's who will end up in the job
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  18. #37
    Coach Longfordian's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    8,297
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    630
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,454
    Thanked in
    966 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    Couldn't see Rice being a popular appointment amongst the Shels support don't think that one would be runner.

    Morris appears to have done good work off the pitch with Bohs underage ranks but taking a punt on a rookie manager along with expectations of winning the FD title next season wouldn't make much sense

    But then again basically offering Tim Clancy the job after Drogheda's embarrasing performance against 9 man Shels two weeks earlier didn't make any sense either so who know's who will end up in the job
    I know a man with a track record of getting teams up from the First Division. Used to managing in Dalymount too. Hed be very interested and he might have investors to come in with him.

  19. #38
    Reserves ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    997
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    187
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Twotter is telling me Ian Morris has been given steerage at Shels.

  20. #39
    Apprentice Northsider's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    49
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    41
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

  21. #40
    Seasoned Pro Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,123
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    786
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    633
    Thanked in
    422 Posts
    Mick Cooke was in the Aviva (sporting a Dundalk top), he'd have been a fairly low risk or safe pair of hands for Shels needs this coming season. Is he doing anything at all currently or completely retired?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shels without Heary for Drogheda clash
    By A face in forum Shelbourne
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08/08/2005, 3:06 PM
  2. Heary lands Shels award
    By A face in forum Shelbourne
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24/01/2005, 7:45 PM
  3. Owen Heary
    By City Hero in forum Cork City
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08/08/2003, 9:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •