Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Wales - Tuesday, 16th October 2018 - UEFA Nations League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Perplexed by O'Neill's team formations. How any player knows what is going on when such positional substitutions are made is hard to comprehend. I don't know if this is a completely logical thought, but I have reached a stage, whereby I would love us to play an attacking, passing style and lose badly, than continue to watch us play with such a defensive minded approach

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I have to put my hand up, i got this wrong i thought we would win. The reality is there no future with mon and roy. If they couldnt win today we have no hope of qualifying. I will go to my grave wondering why Robinson was taken off. Im not even going to try understand it, he was our best player and we were a goal down.. it must have been panic which lead to poor judgment.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    It's crazy to think we went through 5 strikers in that game and made no other changes on the rest of the side, except positional. How does he expect players to gel!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    it must have been panic which lead to poor judgment.
    It is an emerging possibility that MON does indeed panic, I agree. How else do you explain the HT changes v Denmark in the 5-1 which turned an outside chance into a hiding.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 16/10/2018 at 11:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    On the upside, Scott Hogan's now tied to us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    On the upside, Scott Hogan's now tied to us.
    On the downside, Scott Hogan is now tied to us.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I find it amusing that anyone thinks O’Neill is still the man for us, any manager that plays Cyrus Christie in midfield has no intention of playing progressive football and should be sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    328 Posts
    Time to give Stephen a call. King that is. He’s an expert with horror stories and works of fiction. Failing that, Stephen Kenny on speed dial #2

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    It's long past time for a change of manager. The team play like Queen's Park Strangers. No cohesion, game plan or tactics other than hoof and hope. (Actually there has been a tactical evolution there: hope turned out to be just a distraction.) Motivation is along the lines of 'you're s**t, and all our kinda not s**t players are injured so there's nothing I can with you, but I will tell the press how s**t you are in case somebody thinks I'm not doing my job.' Constantly belittling an employee constitutes bullying, and that's what this mismanagement team has refined as strategy.

A new management team needs to tick just three boxes for me:
    Motivation and psychology - ffs, we can field a first XI who are current or recent Premiership players: how rubbish do you have to be as a manager to reduce them to an amorphous blob frightened of the ball?
    Risk taking - play young players, even if they're only playing for Prem reserves or u23s. Kevin Kilbane had a wojus debut. Turned out OK. Ethan Ampadu is 17. If they're good enough, they're old enough.
    Tactical modernity - I can't believe I actually have to write that. May as well state that the next manager should have a pulse...

Urrgh.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    awful performance, poor tactical approach, too many excuses.

MON out.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Re our players being not good enough,the guy who scored the winner plays in the Championship,HTH....

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    I think the most important question today is , is it the FAI or Denis O'Brien who would have to pay the compensation for MON/Roy
    If its O'Brien I would say we will have a new manager before the qualifiers proper start, if its the FAI, then who knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    It was confirmed at the AGM that Denis O'Brien is no longer contributing to the manager's salary

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It was confirmed at the AGM that Denis O'Brien is no longer contributing to the manager's salary
    Oh sh*t, that's very problematic. so what are we thinking here, lets say we get beaten in Denmark, that's just our tough luck and we are stuck with them until 2020?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    I find it amusing that anyone thinks O’Neill is still the man for us, any manager that plays Cyrus Christie in midfield has no intention of playing progressive football and should be sacked.
    He's not the man for us. His time is up and he'll probably step down with some sort of a severance in November. But the problems don't end there. Let's be really honest with ourselves. There is a mountain more of blame to go around for the situation Irish football currently finds itself in.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    That's absolutely true. They don't believe they can do anything right at this stage because they've endured so much failure and criticism. Good players stand up to that sort of adversity. Seems our players don't have much of a backbone either. Not questioning their actual strength or commitment, but their mental toughness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Risk taking - play young players, even if they're only playing for Prem reserves or u23s. Kevin Kilbane had a wojus debut. Turned out OK. Ethan Ampadu is 17. If they're good enough, they're old enough.
    Tactical modernity - I can't believe I actually have to write that. May as well state that the next manager should have a pulse...

Urrgh.
    I agree with this completely. Nowhere are our weaknesses more obvious that up front. Robinson obviously looks like he has the potential to link the play but we need somebody leading the line.

Would it kill us to give Obafemi and Idah 45 minutes each against the north?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    No identifiable shape, absolutely nothing up front and a spate of substitutions that defy logic. sorry to say but last night was the final damning evidence of the need for change. we have no future under the current management team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Oh sh*t, that's very problematic. so what are we thinking here, lets say we get beaten in Denmark, that's just our tough luck and we are stuck with them until 2020?
    I don't think there's any great desire to fire him anyway, regardless of money. Barring a right mauling in Denmark I don't see that really changing. The narrative will be that the Nations League was used to blood a few players and experiment with a new system, which is obviously true to an extent. It's been damaging in that we're going to be relegated (or maybe that's not damaging in itself) but more importantly that we've slipped down to third seeds for qualification proper. Ultimately that could be a disaster but it will be a disaster that MONKEANO will oversee I think, not anybody else.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    He's not the man for us. His time is up and he'll probably step down with some sort of a severance in November. But the problems don't end there. Let's be really honest with ourselves. There is a mountain more of blame to go around for the situation Irish football currently finds itself in.
    That’s true but we have to start somewhere, the easiest start to all this is getting rid of thing 1 and thing 2, at least than even if the players are average at least we don’t have a poisonous camp and patronizing coach. Once that issue is sorted than we can move on to stage 2.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    That's absolutely true. They don't believe they can do anything right at this stage because they've endured so much failure and criticism. Good players stand up to that sort of adversity. Seems our players don't have much of a backbone either. Not questioning their actual strength or commitment, but their mental toughness.
    To be fair the players did this in Lille vs Italy, home vs Germany and away in Cardiff. That 5-1 defeat to Denmark I think was inevitably the burst of the dam and I think any trust between the staff and players ended there.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast