Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Wales - Tuesday, 16th October 2018 - UEFA Nations League

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Irish fans can now go back to watching Liverpool & co in the PL. We’ll all rant and rave but nothing ever changes.
    Love that word you are using 'change'. Change - keep repeating it. The whole system in Irish football governance and coaching needs to be changed root and branch

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Back to plan A.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Martin thinks overall a lot of positives,QED.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Could also be that we have had a decade of being managed by dinosaurs.

We need to get rid of O'Neill. We also need to get rid of the Denis O'Brien money. Then we need to appoint a young, hard working and knowledgeable manager. We also need to reform the FAI from top to bottom.
    That's a fair enough criticism. It could give us some sort of identity if nothing else.

In the short term I just have my fingers crossed that young Rice does the right thing and declares for us, and also that young Daniel Crowley can be integrated into the set-up asap. We desperately need quality in the spine of side.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Martin thinks overall a lot of positives,QED.

Rest my case...
    This is all going to go only one way, if the FAI have even half a brain surely they can see this and will take action...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I was never a fan of O'Neill's sides throughout his career in club management and wouldn't be fussed one way or the other if he was given the boot. I'm always a bit dubious about managers staying beyond that 4 year international cycle anyway.

I'm just saying that people need to be realistic. We lack quality and there's no two ways about that. It's the off the ball movement that's the biggest giveaway for me ~ just braindead stuff.
    Which is it, coaching/management or the players?
    From what I can gather, the players may not be world class but they are good enough to be part of a good international team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    You dont need to be quality to be good at most things we complain about, thats the point its just a complete **** show. All the evidence has shown that O'Neill does f-all with the players and only now when he has clearly lost the dressing room are roosters coming home to roost.
    It was there before O'Neill though. When you've had the kind of centre-midfielders in particular that we've had over the years what do you expect?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I'm tell you what this team lacks. Composure. They don't believe they can do it.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    I'm tell you what this team lacks. Composure. They don't believe they can do it.
    And MON/Keane used to be able to provide that. That sentiment started vanishing during the World Cup qualifying, then vanished with the 5-1.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    And MON/Keane used to be able to provide that. That sentiment started vanishing during the World Cup qualifying, then vanished with the 5-1.
    They actually did pretty well to recover from the Belgian game. But that squad had bigger personalities around. After for me was case in point tonight. No belief going forward.
    Duffy has the right stuff. Robinson. Doherty . Coleman. Some of these lads need guidance (hogan, christie) . It's hard to get this back when you've lost it. A change may be needed .. also I think keogh, long, and anyone over 30 possibly except James shoild go. I could handle losing if we were building
    Egan surely shoild be playing over keogh

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    For years we punched above our weight and the total was more than the sum of the parts but now it's the polar opposite.Management substitutions baffling to say the least,nearest thing we had to a play maker was the first player taken off.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    This group of Irish players have now had about 8 years of managers telling them that they are not any good. Trappatoni and O'Neill have managed them exactly the same way.

We dont have many fantastic players but everyone of them would be improved if someone managed to at least coach them and have a game plan. This nonsense of telling a player an hour before kickoff that he is playing, and in a position that he has never played before should be a sackable offense in itself.

I dont care who comes in now, as long as its someone that can give the players a bit of belief in themselves and actually coach them for the few days they are together.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Absolutely no excuses anymore, Martin O'Neill has to be shoved out the door. 5 of Wales front 6 tonight were three 21 year olds, a 19 year old and an 18 year old. Tonight should be the last straw. Really don't care who comes in, but under Martin we are plummeting backwards at an astonishing rate.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 16/10/2018 at 10:42 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Which is it, coaching/management or the players?
    From what I can gather, the players may not be world class but they are good enough to be part of a good international team.
    The management has to play a part in it, but there is an underlying lack of quality. Not one of our players is near world class; Seamus Coleman is the only one remotely close to that level. The rest play for the clubs they do for a reason.

Re: O'Neill - if he's still using that detached, let the assistants do the training and I'll come in 30 minutes before, name the team and gee them up routine then that was out of date over a decade ago. I'd love to know what they do and what instructions they're given in training because honestly - trees have better movement than we do. We're basically the anti-Barcelona. If you don't have quality on the ball...at least provide options and quality off it. I can't be the only one who has noticed this?

There's also the lack of composure in the final third.

A couple of players can make a lot of difference at this level though, and we just haven't had any quality in the centre in ages.
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/10/2018 at 10:42 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    I don’t think our players need any more of Martin O’ Neill telling them they are not very good and Roy Keane picking fights for no reason with them .

The management team have done enough of that and not surprisingly its not working .

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    The management has to play a part in it, but there is an underlying lack of quality. Not one of our players is near world class; Seamus Coleman is the only one remotely close to that level. The rest play for the clubs they do for a reason.
    We shouldn't need a plethora of world class players to compete with a depleted Wales and a depleted Denmark side? How many world class players have we faced in the last two matches. This whole nations league concept should see us playing teams of approximately similar standard, we've taken one point and scored no goals in our home games against significantly depleted opposition.

This simply isn't good enough, no matter how much this fraud of a manger is able to gaslight our fans, some of whom ludicrously believe San Marino and Malta are vastly superior to us. We are not overburdened with quality but equally well we are not a nation of clogging amateurs.

In any case if we accept the fact that our squad is light on quality why not employ a manager who can at least set a team up in a coherent defensive manner. Arguably we had that under Trap at the start of his tenure. I would even go so far as to say MON still had the benefits from Traps organisation for the first couple of years of his tenure.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    O'Neill should of went after the play off defeat.

This year was a great opportunity to rebuild and move in a new direction but that chance has been wasted.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    We shouldn't need a plethora of world class players to compete with a depleted Wales and a depleted Denmark side? How many world class players have we faced in the last two matches. This whole nations league concept should see us playing teams of approximately similar standard, we've taken one point and scored no goals in our home games against significantly depleted opposition.

This simply isn't good enough, no matter how much this fraud of a manger is able to gaslight our fans, some of whom ludicrously believe San Marino and Malta are vastly superior to us. We are not overburdened with quality but equally well we are not a nation of clogging amateurs.

In any case if we accept the fact that our squad is light on quality why not employ a manager who can at least set a team up in a coherent defensive manner. Arguably we had that under Trap at the start of his tenure. I would even go so far as to say MON still had the benefits from Traps organisation for the first couple of years of his tenure.
    I didn't say we need a plethora of world class players though. I said a couple of players with quality can make a lot of difference at this level.

You can already see the effect that the absence of Coleman, Brady (& perhaps McCarthy) have.
    Last edited by The Fly; 16/10/2018 at 11:16 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I though we started well but I think that Christie was a passenger and O'Brien didn't offer enough movement either. I feel Doherty was quiet in the first half due to Christie not being able to play a sideways pass, not to mind a forward one. On the other hand, Hendrick got enough ball out to McClean, he wasn't very effective though.

We switched to a 4-4-2 in the second half and I'm not sure why. If we had taken of McClean and Christie for someone like Stevens and Williams then we could have persisted with the 3-5-2.

It was a travesty taking Robinson off. He looked really good. As did Maguire but our front players for much of the second half didn't seem to know how to play with one another, whilst the midfield was too far away from them.

I think it's really insulting to Irish football supporters to persist with Christie midfield. He looked completely lost in there tonight in the first half. Yet he finished the game. And Robinson was taken off? Utterly mental as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think it was a dreadful performance. I think we were missing some important players (Coleman, Brady, McCarthy) and it showed. But I think the changing of formations during the match and the failure to take off Christie were two of the main contributing factors to such an ineffectual performance.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    It's crazy to think we went through 5 strikers in that game and made no other changes on the rest of the side, except positional. How does he expect players to gel!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast