Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UEFA European Under 19 Championship

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Why are we pulling out the spine of this team and potentially costing the U19’s a place at the 2019 Euros for a match vs Luxembourg...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Has Mcauley done something to offend the FAI underage management?
    Omitted from all squads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathalsmart View Post
    Why are we pulling out the spine of this team and potentially costing the U19’s a place at the 2019 Euros for a match vs Luxembourg...
    Couldn't agree more - we have the chance to have a big impact at U19 level and we're risking it for one U21 game in a group where the odds are against us qualifying anyway. And if we can't beat Luxembourg without those promoted from the U19 ranks, then we have no chance anyway. And if you insist on promoting Idah and Parrott, possibly to spread our striking prospects across the age groups, then why not replace them with McAuley, Cassidy, Kayode or Roache, at least? And there's surely no desperate need for Lee O'Connor to be in the U21 squad, when Ryan Nolan is waiting to be called upon. Gavin Bazunu will likely be warming the bench behind Caoimhin Kelleher, something I'm sure Mark Travers is well able to do

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Like I think it’s a good idea to have them involved but why not just have them join up with the squad for the trip to Russia? It’s frustrating as it’s a very kind draw, the spine of this Irish team got to the QF’s of the last two u17 euro’s whereas Russia ,Romania, Azerbaijan didn’t even qualify for the tournament and last year was a particularly bad year for Russia when they didn’t reach even the elite round of the u17s which for them is horrific! I know it’s not everything but that added in with how the three teams have played so far in qualifying not only do I think we should be favorites for qualifying but if playing at our potential we really should be comfortable favorites for this and should consider failure to qualify from this group a huge upset. Right now we are tying one hand behind the back of this team.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    We have the most depth at this age that I have seen in 25 years following the underage groups. I'd be disappointed if we don't still get ro the euros this summer. As an aside nathan Collins who misses out here obviously has been captaining stokes under23s recently which is a fine achievement for a lad who is underage for this age again next year

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What spine? Cassidy has only ever played a friendly for the 19s (last month) and McAuley has only been involved since last year, mainly as a sub. If you're talking about the spine, Idah and Parrott have been promoted to the 21s, which is the point of these teams, to progress players.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    What spine? Cassidy has only ever played a friendly for the 19s (last month) and McAuley has only been involved since last year, mainly as a sub. If you're talking about the spine, Idah and Parrott have been promoted to the 21s, which is the point of these teams, to progress players.
    I wasn’t referring to Cassidy or McAuley. I was referring to Lee O’Connor, Conor Coventry, and then like you said Idah & Parrott. Also we have injuries for guys like Nathan Collins. I get it that progression is important but qualifying for a tournament and participating surely is priceless? What would make sense to me is have the players train with the u21s and then release guys for the U19.

Looking at the squad we can still field a pretty strong side so qualification is still very much within reach but we will look back on this with a lot of regret if we fail to qualify.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    BTW would Ryan Johansson be eligible for selection for the Euros final tournament squad or does the rule carry over to the final tournament also? If I had to have a guess I’d say it does?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Early start tomorrow, kicking off at 9am: https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=...289/index.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    BTW would Ryan Johansson be eligible for selection for the Euros final tournament squad or does the rule carry over to the final tournament also? If I had to have a guess I’d say it does?
    no, it's part of the same competition he's already appeared in so he's ineligible
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Starting line up vs Romania announced

Live text commentary on UEFA.com: https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=...289/index.html
    Still 0-0

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    2-0 up now Afolabi and Smallbone

Tallaght Stadium Regular

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Live stream here, with Russian commentary: https://rfs.ru/news/209300

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    finished 5-0 to Ireland, with a saved penalty from Maher. Great start to the qualifying series!

To be honest, 5-0 is possibly being generous, from what I did see of the game it was all Ireland. Next game is Azerbaijan on Saturday morning. They're playing Russia at two this afternoon. Ideally, that'll end in a draw, but it'll probably be a Russian win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    goals from the qualifier online

In more good news, Russia and Azerbaijan drew 0-0: https://www.uefa.com/under19/season=...290/index.html

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Romania defense looks atrocious. Third goal was a lovely move after the mistake from their defender.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Yeah, dreadful defending but some cracking finishes all the same. Emphatic last one by Afolabi.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Wow... just wow. A 5-0 win against Romania. And this was without Idah, Connolly, Cassidy, Parrott, Obafemi and McAuley.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Our underage squads play such entertaining and ambitious football. Please, please Mick do the same and create continuity.

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Well f'k me, when was the last time Ireland won 5-0?

I've no idea how good the Romania u19 team are but the first team is ranked 25th, above us obviously, it is not like say they are Gibraltar, would not be surprised if we struggle to put more than a couple past them!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There was a month where the mens' sides scored an absolute barrel load of goals, but I can't remember when that was!

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast