Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 UEFA European Under 19 Championship

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Hard one to fathom really. Not in a bad way but it’s 6 defenders, 2 midfielders, 2 strikers...

If I guessing, I’d suspect they’re still playing some form of 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 given the edict from above.

Maybe shifting Kavanagh out wide and O’Connor, Hodge and maybe James in midfield.

Think it speaks of a lack of faith in the wide players in the squad: Festy and Everett both did well at 17s but Ebosele’s cameo appearances for the 19s in March understandably were a little less encouraging while Wright did fine but wasn’t a standout from that squad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Could also throw Lyons or another fullback out wide maybe (about to board a flight from abroad, so missing what’s going on)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Only thing is, didn't Kenny say that the underage teams have to play a variation on 4-3-3?

If that's the case then I can't make head nor tail of the team. It does look like there are only two forwards. Although didn't Lee O'Connor play as a wide forward before? Could be him or Kavanagh up there on the left. But then I don't know who plays midfield with Hodge and O'Connor/Kavanagh. I'm lost here.

There's definitely a lot of height at centre back if it's McGuinness and McEntee there.
    Yes hard to know. Wright suspended and ebosele and brennan out sick. The sickness thing is worrying for the rest of the squad . Q

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    That would explain a lot regarding Wright and Ebosele...

On the Norwegian side, Eddie Tagseth is a player. Had some bad injuries over the past 18 months but if truly healthy he’s a future star...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    A goal down on eight minutes (for those with no access to TV)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    it's on the RTE Player
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Frustrating first half. Norway are nothing special but we look really underpowered in midfield. Everything feels a bit flat from an Irish point of view. Don't want to be too critical in the circumstances but our left back looks lost out there. A real shame after the great qualifying campaign.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Very limited options wide with ebosele and Wright not available today. Maybe grant off bench to let ledwidge go left full instead of James ledwidge really a fish out of water left side of a three front line

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Some strike from Hodge.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    A draw was an OK result given we were behind for most of the game, but Norway were poor and had we had a full deck we would probably have beaten them comfortably.

If we had even managed to get a couple more of our better midfielders into the squad, say Knight and Bolger, it would have made a huge difference to our prospects in this tournament.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I know Reghba didn't feature much for Bohs this season so I wasn't sure what to expect. Looks a player.

Please oh please, Joe Hodge, stay with us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    A draw was an OK result given we were behind for most of the game, but Norway were poor and had we had a full deck we would probably have beaten them comfortably.

If we had even managed to get a couple more of our better midfielders into the squad, say Knight and Bolger, it would have made a huge difference to our prospects in this tournament.
    Norway didn't have 4 players that went to the 20s world cup so certainly not their best side either.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    I know Reghba didn't feature much for Bohs this season so I wasn't sure what to expect. Looks a player.

Please oh please, Joe Hodge, stay with us.
    Hodge was outstanding. Hopefully he is promoted to 21s this season

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Hodge was outstanding. Hopefully he is promoted to 21s this season
    I would be surprised if he wasn't, on the basis of this showing and on the basis of Kenny's comments on Dunphy's podcast. He will be 17 in September and Kenny called Parrott up at that age.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    We're probably going to have a real battle on our hands to keep Hodge. Standing out at under 19 level as a 16 year old is some going. Hard to know if calling him up to the 21s makes him more likely to stick with us or just advertises the rate of his progression to the English.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    We're probably going to have a real battle on our hands to keep Hodge. Standing out at under 19 level as a 16 year old is some going. Hard to know if calling him up to the 21s makes him more likely to stick with us or just advertises the rate of his progression to the English.
    They'll have heard about or seen this performance. I think we may as well keep moving him up until things reach a head. We played the long game with Rice and Grealish and England were always aware of the latter.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    They'll have heard about or seen this performance. I think we may as well keep moving him up until things reach a head. We played the long game with Rice and Grealish and England were always aware of the latter.
    He has been part of their set up for 3 years and plays for man city he is not under the radar. The first time he had to make a decision on his allegiance was less than 4 months ago when he could have played in englands qualifiers for the 17s euros and committed to them but didn't despite been first choice in all their pre Christmas teams and squads. Where is the logic to say he would want to switch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    France beat the Czech Republic 3-0 to underline their credentials as favourites. We face them on Thursday evening, while Norway play the Czechs

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Saw bits and pieces of the first half and saw the second half there. Plenty of positives overall.

Hodge was excellent. Clearly good enough and great experience for him.

Afolabi imposed himself physically on some big and strong opponents. Really think he’s ready for men’s football now. Reghba also was excellent. Their willingness to drive at players at take people on can’t be underestimated.

I think you’ve got a back four that will work in Lyons McGuinness McEntee Ledwidge. There were a few mistakes but considering it’s a 4 that haven’t played together before, that’s understandable.

Lee O’Connor is clearly not playing in his best position but you couldn’t fault his performance. Shame that Conor Coventry isn’t there, considering he didn’t make the West Ham tour. Shame that Lampard left Derby as he was prepared to let Knight play. Shame that Bolger’s move went through before the tournament and shame that Connell signed for Celtic before the tournament rather than after. You feel it’s the one area where we’re really piecing things together.

Jack James really struggled. Until we made the chance there was really nothing going forward with him and Ledwidge and they were vulnerable defensively too.

Kavanagh didn’t do himself justice. We’ve all had games where you’re trying that right thing at it doesn’t come off time and time again, but ireland will need his performance to improve from here on out.

Very minor but despite having a good game, Maher’s distribution was uncharacteristically poor. Could have been nerves.

Everett did pretty well. Give his current physical condition, I still think he’s better suited to coming off the bench when defenders are tired but he equipped himself as well as anyone could have hoped.

If I was Mohan, I’d probably bring Wright in for James and otherwise leave it all unchanged. Although given it’s France, I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes a more defensive decision

20. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Why is that Charles? England were in it last year and they ended up with lots of lads not been available
    Sorry, obviously a few days late, but the FAI control Irish clubs. You can't stop a player travelling unless the FAI/the manager decides you need them.

22. Thanks From:

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast