Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCD manager quits

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

UCD manager quits

Rumours that Collie O'neill has left UCD ?

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Could he be coming down here? Our application window closed just over a week ago

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Could he be coming down here? Our application window closed just over a week ago
    Unlikely unless it's a very very good offer since he's relatively high up in Microsoft, think he's a team manager there too which would be well paid.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Sacked, not quit according to twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I feel sorry for him a little bit. He has achieved a lot with limited resources and can be proud of that, every LOI club should be thankful that UCD keeps producing players for us all. But hes not working in a real football environment, and the expectations there aren't normal.

You can't field a team of kids and have them play the way you would if you had all your first choice 11. Thats how you end up losing 10-1. You don't have to play the style of football John Caulfield prefers to realise pragmatism has value.

There has to be a point in a game where you tell your defenders just to sit back and soak up the pressure, certainly when you are already 4 or 5 goals down early on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    This decision sounds very strange unless theres something we don't know about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It seems pretty bizarre, looking from the outside. Any of the UCD fans have any insight or opinion?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    You don't have to play the style of football John Caulfield prefers to realise pragmatism has value.
    While I agree with you overall.. Collie was well able to show pragmatism at certain times. For example, there was a game last year when they kicked us out of it in the first half- every attack stopped by cynical little foul after cynical little foul. And their saintly reputation meant there wasn't a card in sight! And you don't win the first division without a bit of steel.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    While I agree with you overall.. Collie was well able to show pragmatism at certain times. For example, there was a game last year when they kicked us out of it in the first half- every attack stopped by cynical little foul after cynical little foul. And their saintly reputation meant there wasn't a card in sight! And you don't win the first division without a bit of steel.
    By and large his teams did play an expansive attractive game of football but were no slouches at time wasting etc when the need arose. Obviously the high turnover of players (especially mid season exodus) made the job almost impossible, can only presume the decision is to get someone in that can get them above Finn Harps (doubt anything above that is realistic) as otherwise they might as well have let him finish out the season.
    While it obviously didn't help I doubt the game on Friday is the sole (or even the main) reason for the decision, to be fair UCD have not been prone to knee jerk reactions.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    You can't field a team of kids and have them play the way you would if you had all your first choice 11. Thats how you end up losing 10-1. You don't have to play the style of football John Caulfield prefers to realise pragmatism has value.
    Don't forget we held on for 45 minutes out in Dudelange with ten men while they threw the kitchen sink at us. Again, wouldn't have happened if we kept playing out from the back. I don't think inflexibility, or club orders, are an issue here. The Bohs game was a freak result brought about by having an entire team missing through either injuries or departures, and you can't throw that many new kids into a team in the Premier.

It's a strange one. I thought he might walk away after Friday - partly because Martin Moran did walk away after a 6-0 defeat in Dalyer back in 2001 - but the press release doesn't read like that's what happened. Hope it wasn't acrimonious whatever happened, because for four years in the First Division, he achieved a hell of a lot. Winning a round in Europe, promotion pushes every year, a title, a Cup semi-final, Manager of the Year last year. Would be a shame for it to end in a row just a few months later.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    There are a couple of posts on boards that suggest it wasn't about Friday:

On boards:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=1164 "There was obviously friction between him and the board when the board went over his head and gave Kearns their own one game suspension."

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...postcount=1169 "Yeah. Kearns was banned by the FAI for the Rovers game but the additional games didn't start until after the Waterford game but the board at UCD decided to ban him for it themselves despite Collies wishes and they lost 1-2 and you have to think that their first choice keeper that's a mile ahead of their backups could have won them that game. When I found out about it I said to my mate if I were Collie I'd have walked at that and I hope that's what's happened now and not that he got sacked."

No idea whether that's credible or not.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    That was mentioned on extratime at the time -

Both players were eligible for their weekend fixtures against Waterford and Sligo Rovers as the bans don't kick in until Monday but, while Pender played, Kearns has been suspended separately by his club.
    Another unusual one.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    O’Neill and Fereguia gone to Shamrock Rovers (2nd in league) mid-season; Davis to Derry (4th); Scales on verge of going to Bristol Rovers; Kearns linked with move to Rovers/Dundalk. All played up to July 1st - UCD lost 16 out of 20. Nothing to do with playing kids. Limited squad rotation, used 14 odd players first 20 games, less than any other Prem team, seeming contempt for the other 6-9 squad members...as if Bohs are packed full of LOI veterans...give us a break

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Can help morale when play a guy who hasn’t been involved for a month once transfer falls through

Has a UCD manager ever been given the heave-go mid-season before?
    Last edited by dahamsta; 20/08/2019 at 2:12 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I feel sorry for him a little bit. He has achieved a lot with limited resources and can be proud of that, every LOI club should be thankful that UCD keeps producing players for us all. But hes not working in a real football environment, and the expectations there aren't normal.

There has to be a point in a game where you tell your defenders just to sit back and soak up the pressure, certainly when you are already 4 or 5 goals down early on.
    Funnily enough I was actually talking to an ex player, not ucd just loi in general, about that recently, he was saying there's lots of merit when the team is so young in continuing to play the same way because if you suddenly go from free flowing attacking football to park the bus just because a few players leave some of the remaining players when they're that young might take it as the coach effectively saying that they're not good enough and whether they are or not if they're your best option you don't want them thinking that. Also made the point of if you're trying to build a culture of playing a certain way all the way through the club then what's the point if the players see that as soon as the going gets tough you throw the tactics out the window.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Funnily enough I was actually talking to an ex player, not ucd just loi in general, about that recently, he was saying there's lots of merit when the team is so young in continuing to play the same way because if you suddenly go from free flowing attacking football to park the bus just because a few players leave some of the remaining players when they're that young might take it as the coach effectively saying that they're not good enough and whether they are or not if they're your best option you don't want them thinking that. Also made the point of if you're trying to build a culture of playing a certain way all the way through the club then what's the point if the players see that as soon as the going gets tough you throw the tactics out the window.
    I'm not suggesting they play defensivley in every game, but when you are 5-0 down with 40 minutes left to play I would suggest that sitting back o the remaining time is a reasonable approach. I didn't see the Bohs/UCD game in full but watching the highlights I was surprised that I wasn't seeing really poor defensive errors for the most part, I saw good finishing from Bohs and good passing opening up UCD. I saw three penalties, including two given away by the keeper which implies to me he was under a lot of pressure. I didn't see tonnes of UCD bodies trying to stop Bohs at any cost which is what should have been happening.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I'm not suggesting they play defensivley in every game, but when you are 5-0 down with 40 minutes left to play I would suggest that sitting back o the remaining time is a reasonable approach. I didn't see the Bohs/UCD game in full but watching the highlights I was surprised that I wasn't seeing really poor defensive errors for the most part, I saw good finishing from Bohs and good passing opening up UCD. I saw three penalties, including two given away by the keeper which implies to me he was under a lot of pressure. I didn't see tonnes of UCD bodies trying to stop Bohs at any cost which is what should have been happening.
    You're talking about 18-20 year olds here, once the go 3 or so down the heads just go completely, all the tactics in the world can't stop that happening, it's just a case of trying to score before that happens. Momentum is huge at that age group when there's nobody with experience in the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That was mentioned on extratime at the time -

Another unusual one.
    So UCD suspended Kearns for 'having bottles thrown at him' interesting.
    Last edited by marinobohs; 20/08/2019 at 3:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onapointoforder View Post
    Can help morale when play a guy who hasn’t been involved for a month once transfer falls through

Has a UCD manager ever been given the heave-go mid-season before?
    Don't think so.

Aaron Callaghan I think didn't have his contract renewed after relegation in 2014. Martin Russell said he was off to Cork or somewhere, and then tried to claim he hadn't quit when looking for his job back about six weeks later (by which time Aaron had been appointed). Pete Mahon resigned at the end of 2008 after relegation. Doolin left with about 10 games to go to join Drogheda (heard a funny story that Drogheda contacted the club to discuss compensation, and the club posted a tenner to Drogheda and asked would that do. ) Martin Moran resigned three games into the 2001/02 season citing work reasons. I think Dermot Keely sold himself to Rovers in 83. And other than that, it was the Doc and Theo Dunne taking it in turns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Is there any indication about who will be taking over?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast