Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    This occurred in a number of games and suspicions arose that the matches had been fixed and that those placing the bets knew beforehand what the score would be.
    They must mean 'result' instead of 'score' because I cannot imagine anybody fixing a 6-2 scoreline.

Also, I wonder what evidence they were looking for. There would be nothing other than phone messages I suppose (and pretty stupid to even have those).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    BIG money doesn't necessarily always go to the MS bookies & "trends" might not be visible.
    Easy these days to gamble with private bookies in Hong Kong,Macau,Dark web etc... and actually get paid with no questions asked.
    Dark web gambling sites are mostly scams and the shadowy Chinese bookies who take Limerick kitbags full of cash on LOI games are a figment of the tabloid imagination.

Where is the money? No money no fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Jezus even by Limerick standards this has been a mad season and not over yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Watch the highlights of the sligo cup game ffs.

There hasn't been a more obvious rigging since that time I rigged up some rigging on am oil rig in Riga.

I can't understand people cribbing about it either.

Professionals owed three and four months money is the issue there.

You would want to have something seriously wrong with you to be still turning up togging out for nothing.

Money is money at the end of the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Really really hope this isn't true or at the very least can't be proven.
    Honestly think it might be time for Limerick to take a break from LOI altogether. Nothing against Limerick or it's fans but the never ending soap opera is beyond funny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Really really hope this isn't true or at the very least can't be proven.
    Honestly think...
    Let me stop you there ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I can see how the player circumstances could influence them but it is criminal activity - could follow them after their Limerick days unless retiring. Could results be expunged as it could throw a spanner in the works for side vying for promotion - have Limerick gotten any results v top 5 or 6?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I can see how the player circumstances could influence them but it is criminal activity - could follow them after their Limerick days unless retiring. Could results be expunged as it could throw a spanner in the works for side vying for promotion - have Limerick gotten any results v top 5 or 6?
    Obviously I don't agree with match-fixing, but it's kind of a "is it wrong to steal to feed your family" kind of debate.
    Is it wrong to fix games when your club isn't paying you? In my view yes, but there are people who will say otherwise.

With regards to results, Limerick have gotten a draw against Drogs, a win and draw over Longford, two wins over Cabo and one over Bray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Obviously I don't agree with match-fixing, but it's kind of a "is it wrong to steal to feed your family" kind of debate.
    Is it wrong to fix games when your club isn't paying you? In my view yes, but there are people who will say otherwise.
    y
    Let me stop you there -It is illegal to fix games and a major blight on ANY sport. There is no “justification “ for it ever. Only in the insane world of Limerick FC would anyone think there is any justification,
    Last edited by marinobohs; 05/09/2019 at 8:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    People shouldn't be relying on Limerick to feed their families - playing Division 1 football is a part time / amateur pursuit - a top up to what you already do for a living, not your primary living.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    I would tend to agree (on match-fixing not being justifiable). It isn't a victimless crime, since it will effect an entire league or, in this case, a cup competition (if the allegations are true).

Looking at the highlights of that Sligo tie I would be perfectly satisifed to put the goals conceded by Limerick down to ****poor defending from a team that was only half arsed because they aren't getting paid. I saw some claiming the keeper was abnormally out of position for the free kick goal, but he also saved a penalty that night. I thought Limerick's second goal was odd, but if no-one has shouted "Fix" I wouldn't have given it much more consideration

The red cards were strange though, and the last was crazy. But I'm not convinced about fixing on highlights alone. Maybe the Guards have something more than that.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 05/09/2019 at 9:07 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Let me stop you there -It is illegal to fix games and a major blight on ANY sport. There is no “justification “ for it ever. Only in the insane world of Limerick FC would anyone think there is any justification,
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    People shouldn't be relying on Limerick to feed their families - playing Division 1 football is a part time / amateur pursuit - a top up to what you already do for a living, not your primary living.
    🤦🏼*♂️ I never said I justified it, I said that it's one of things I've had people say to me.
    Reading is good for you lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    ����*♂️ I never said I justified it, I said that it's one of things I've had people say to me.
    I'm not having a go off you - merely countering the argument you put forward - even it was from others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I would tend to agree (on match-fixing not being justifiable). It isn't a victimless crime, since it will effect an entire league or, in this case, a cup competition (if the allegations are true).

Looking at the highlights of that Sligo tie I would be perfectly satisifed to put the goals conceded by Limerick down to ****poor defending from a team that was only half arsed because they aren't getting paid. I saw some claiming the keeper was abnormally out of position for the free kick goal, but he also saved a penalty that night. I thought Limerick's second goal was odd, but if no-one has shouted "Fix" I wouldn't have given it much more consideration

The red cards were strange though, and the last was crazy. But I'm not convinced about fixing on highlights alone. Maybe the Guards have something more than that.
    Very difficult to prove fixing based on match action, players are often ****e and regularly made schoolboy errors- without any “fixing”.

We have had a number of such allegations and in an era of online betting (and huge wagers) I think the LOI/FAI need to increase the penalty for any player caught. As potential gain from fixing increases so must the penalty for anyone caught.
    Minimum 10 year ban with FIFA reinforcing the ban.
    Need to stamp this out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    🤦🏼*♂️ I never said I justified it, I said that it's one of things I've had people say to me.
    It is never right and anyone suggesting it is ever right is wrong - full stop. End of. The “hungry family” argument is a stupid attempt to justify the unjustifiable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    That game was as blatant a fix as you'll see along with the Shels game. Hopefully culprits reprimanded and legal action taken.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Haven't heard of any action taken against the player involved for the steward push, by club or Garda.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Haven't heard of any action taken against the player involved for the steward push, by club or Garda.
    Probably because the steward had kicked the Limerick player first which provoked the push. Received a 4 game ban while Sligo's Leverock got 5 games for his red card so the steward incident was hardly the attempted murder Sligo fans made it out to be.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    The GK in question for Limerick is Jack Brady who signed for them from us last season. I know him and his dad personally from his spell with us and theres no way he was involved as he is a super shottopper and works hard for the team and was disappointed that he didnt stay with us as he was unlucky to lose his first team spot. The only reason he left was it suited him cos his dad is living in South Tipperary not far from Limerick City.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast