Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Conor Coventry M Charlton Athletic b.2000

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yes I expected this. Never felt he would make it at a top level. Lacks the athleticism for me. League one/lower championship he may forge a career for himself, alternatively continent experiment would be good

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Yeah they were wrong about the contract cause West Ham nearly always throw in that extra year clause. Was the same with Cullen. Just assumed they didn't know he had that option and put two and two together that the reason he might be sold was because of the contract.

Could still see him leaving in January but definitely be gone come the summer I'd say. Moyes did say after one of the EC matches that he good options to leave in the summer so hopefully he does leave rather than picking splinters from his hole.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    The 72 (James Ray) suggests that as Ipswich Town have only two fit midfield players at the moment, a move for Coventry in January would be a good idea.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    SSN linking him with a loan move to Rotherham.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Move confirmed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Good move for him. He's slowly making his way up the football pyramid. Hopefully he can play 15+ games and prove himself at this level.

It seems like he will need a few seasons in the championship before being able to make the step up to EPL.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Conor Coventry is doing well at Rotherham who are probably safe after today, 9 points in 7 since he joined, 4 points in the 7 before he joined. Fans forums full of praise for him, played the full 90 every game since joining on loan. A lot of talk about other potential midfielders who might come in but our 21s record cap holder will be well known to Kenny.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    He’d be in my squad with the deep midfielders being Cullen, Molumby, Hendrick and him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Think he'll only name six midfielders and Cullen, Molumby, Hendrick, Browne, and Knight are surely certs if fit. Don't think he can ignore Smallbone but wouldn't surprise me if Hourihane gets called up.

Think it will come too soon for Coventry unless he names a larger squad with lads coming in to train since both games are in Dublin. Hopefully next season he's gone from West Ham and gets himself a good move. Our closest midfielder in terms of style that we have like Cullen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Kenny throws in the odd surprise but it would be a massive one to include him given the importance of the France game. And Latvia won't be seen as the time to give him a look. Kenny's said as much about the next two games too.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Would mostly agree with that, surely no way he could justify leaving out Smallbone though. I know you can never be sure what's going on in Kenny's head, but that would be next level closed minded if he wasn't picked. Given Szmodics' current form also there's really no justification at all for involving Hourihane and I'd question whether Browne is doing enough to be in on merit or is it yet another case of it being harder to get out of the squad than get into it.

Coventry probably hasn't done enough to be honest but his USP is that he's the closest like for like replacement for Cullen that we have available to us, which makes him worthy of consideration.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Yeah I don't think he can justify leaving Smallbone out and agree Hourihane should be nowhere near the squad anymore. Though I like Browne and he's our best bet of a midfielder actually scoring a goal.

I'd like to see Szmodics involved as he's a regular for the team that's fourth in the championship so he's gotta be doing something right.

I'd have Coventry involved for that reason alone. Name a bigger squad and have him involved. Don't need to pick him on match days but having him in and training, getting used to the set up will make it easier to throw him in in time. Fair enough it's easier for the IRFU to do but I only see benefits of younger players getting to train more with the senior set up.

16. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    If Browne doubles up as wing-back succession he should be in there

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I divide it into two groups, the deeper lads and the more progressive lads. I’d like 4 of each in a 28 man squad. The deeper lads are basically:

Cullen
    Molumby
    Hendrick
    Coventry
    Hodge
    Hourihane

And the more attacking group:

Knight
    McGrath
    Smallbone
    Browne
    Sykes (could also be classified differently)
    Szmodzics
    Ronan

There’s a whole other group who I’ve left off the list entirely who I feel have no chance for a call up like Kilkenny, McCarthy, Azaz, Taylor, Mandriou, Byrne, Phillips etc etc

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    If Browne doubles up as wing-back succession he should be in there
    I'd rather we just called up another wing back, rather than having Browne in there to cover two positions when he's not really good enough in either of them.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Id rather see the younger lads, a Hourihane / Browne / McGrath / Hendrick slanted squad and team over a Sykes / Smallbone / Coventry one is pointless. One set have repeated qualification campaign failures to show & are getting towards the end, the other we will need soon anyway and may do better in time given their chance. Either way, either set, we are coming up short in the group and either set will most likely deliver a similar set of results anyway at this point. Kenny was all about the players coming through, the future, the new methodology & what does it say about his own belief in that if he fails again with the same old faces again ?

& no, this isn't me giving him space to write off another campaign in the name of development, we need to be consistently better all through and he needs to show he can be the manager who could deliver the over achievement of qualification in a better draw because we will need to over achieve to qualify for the forseeable. If he can't it has to be someone else's turn soon.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Coventry played for a young West Ham team in their 1-2 defeat away to Ebbsfleet this week.
    Fleet 2-1 West Ham United – Ebbsfleet United Football Club | Official Website of the Fleet

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Rotherham manager Matt Taylor had a discussion with Coventry at the end of last season about a possible return to the Yorkshire club. However, the club have now 'gone for a slightly different profile of player'. Coventry (23) has a year left on his contract at West Ham. (Rotherham Advertiser, 10 August).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Not a great sign that probably the weakest squad in the Championship are passing on him. Maybe they'll go back for him before the window closes if they have a space in their squad.

I think the problem with Conor is that, while he's a very tidy player, he doesn't actually do a whole lot in terms of progressing the game much of the time. A lot of neat but lateral passing in his play. Similarly to Lee O'Connor he spent a long time in our Under 21 setup without ever properly kicking on to the seniors and I wouldn't be surprised if, similar to Lee, he ultimately finds his level in the lower divisions - possibly League 1 for Conor.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast