Thread: Games 14th Sept

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I see Brendan Clarke scored a penalty for Pats against Sligo last night

I remember Matt Gregg scoring for UCD against Cobh 10 years ago, have any other goalkeepers scored goals in the LOI before?
    A long time ago, but John Young scored for Finn Harps against Waterford in 1969.
    Up the Harps!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Excellent collection! I had thought Gregg's was a long punt. There's a video of Kearns' effort isn't there?
    Yep; see here

I think Gregg's is around somewhere too, but couldn't find it in a quick search.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    In the last four league games the goalkeeper Limerick FC released has scored the same amount of goals as Limerick FC.

And Limerick FC have conceded 17. (SEVENTEEN)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    So we have a few penos and a couple of length of the field punts, but has a League of Ireland keeper ever scored coming up for a corner/free? I remember Barry Murphy putting a header narrowly over in a Rovers-Bohs match and I rememeber Tony O'Dowd coming up for a late Pats corner at Dundalk only for Brian Byrne to score on the break, but I can't remember an incident of a keeper scoring a header or goal mouth melee.
    Chris O'Connor scored for Bray in the playoff against Fingal in 2009. Then a minute later made a horrible mistake to let Fingal put the game to bed.

5. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    RTÉ have an article about UCD's promotion...with the lead photo being of our 2009 promotion-winning side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Forum contributer Nigelharps scored an overhead kick from a corner this season in a Donegal junior League game. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it! There is grainy footage somewhere 😂

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    Forum contributer Nigelharps scored an overhead kick from a corner this season in a Donegal junior League game. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it! There is grainy footage somewhere 😂
    I didn't want to bring it up..but it was a volley, not an overhead kick.

Arguably more impressive some would say.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Colin Oakley, keeper for Sligo Rovers scored direct from a kick out in the mid eighties against Home Farm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I see Brendan Clarke scored a penalty for Pats against Sligo last night
    And according to Stuey Byrne there's something seriously wrong at that club if the keeper is taking penalties !!

I don't know if we did something on Stuey while he was playing for Pats, (or maybe it's because once a Shels c"'&€ always a Shels c"&€ ) but he really hates us doesn't he ? Always quick to have a go.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    To be fair, in recent times yeve had 3 players fight over a penalty, 2 missed penalties by 2 different players at crucial times, and now a keeper take a penalty when a striker was arguing to take it. It's hardly a surprise that it's being commented on given the context.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    And according to Stuey Byrne there's something seriously wrong at that club if the keeper is taking penalties !!

I don't know if we did something on Stuey while he was playing for Pats, (or maybe it's because once a Shels c"'&€ always a Shels c"&€ ) but he really hates us doesn't he ? Always quick to have a go.
    There should be no grounds on which a goalkeeper takes penalties during a game.

What happens if they miss and the ball remains in play ? Keepers are rarely known for their pace, and they've got the full length of the pitch to run to get back into the net they've just left wide open.

How can any team have a situation whereby the keeper is considered the first choice penalty taker out of the 11 players on the pitch ? Madness, I tell you.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    There should be no grounds on which a goalkeeper takes penalties during a game.

What happens if they miss and the ball remains in play ? Keepers are rarely known for their pace, and they've got the full length of the pitch to run to get back into the net they've just left wide open.

How can any team have a situation whereby the keeper is considered the first choice penalty taker out of the 11 players on the pitch ? Madness, I tell you.
    A goalkeeper should never be allowed out of their box. What happens if the other team get the ball when they're out of the box? This is an outrage.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    A goalkeeper should never be allowed out of their box. What happens if the other team get the ball when they're out of the box? This is an outrage.
    A goalkeeper being out of their box is one thing.

A goalkeeper being at the other end of the pitch and having to sprint back against much faster players is an entirely different proposition. Only a matter of time before it happens if Pats persist with this approach.

If it was even a half decent idea, then surely some other clubs somewhere would also do it ? The fact that they don't surely speaks volumes.

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    A goalkeeper being out of their box is one thing.

A goalkeeper being at the other end of the pitch and having to sprint back against much faster players is an entirely different proposition. Only a matter of time before it happens if Pats persist with this approach.

If it was even a half decent idea, then surely some other clubs somewhere would also do it ? The fact that they don't surely speaks volumes.
    It worked fairly well for Chilavert.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    The late great Alek Ludzik, mentioned earlier for scoring during play at Oriel Park, was also an occasional penalty taker (and scorer) well back into his Cork Celtic days.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    It's certainly not common, but clubs do it.

Chilavert is one example, Rogerio Ceni is another. Hans-Jorg Butt is a European example.

If the goalkeeper also happens to be consistently the best penalty-taker at a club, I don't really see a problem.

Sure, there is a risk of it being saved and the keeper being horribly out of position, but I doubt the manager has failed to realise the risk.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I remember Kevin Pressman of Sheffield Wednesday scoring an absolute belter of a penalty many years ago.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    To be fair, in recent times yeve had 3 players fight over a penalty, 2 missed penalties by 2 different players at crucial times, and now a keeper take a penalty when a striker was arguing to take it. It's hardly a surprise that it's being commented on given the context.
    Yeah, point taken, but it's hardly symptomatic of a general rot at the club, which is what Stuey seemed to be suggesting. He has form for having a go at Pats too.

By the way, according to Liam Buckley Brendan Clarke was designated taker before the game, so if Campion was arguing to take it he hadn't really much basis. For what it's worth I agree that ideally you should have an outfield player as your first choice penalty taker. If Conan Byrne had been playing he probably would have taken it.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Handy win for our under 19's and reserves against Pats.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345