Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Future league challengers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers truly horrendous first half of the season completely wrote off the chance of a 3-way tie. Would expect them to do better next year. The Kevin Horgan debacle was a key sticking point. Good idea to have young players coming through, but they actually have some footballing intelligence to begin with.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I disagree with Corry's article stating Shamrock Rovers need investment, they have already been spending a very healthy budget since 2014 during the Dundalk/Cork dominance, the amount of flops they signed since 2014 is staggering. They need to find a suitable replacement for Bradley, sort their first team recruitment out and very importantly sign a striker who has the ability to hit 25 goals a season

Thanks to the UEFA money nobody else outside of Dundalk/Cork/Shamrock Rovers will challenge over the next 3 seasons unless a Leicester City is pulled-off or a lunatic with more money than sense is willing to burn their cash on another club
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I disagree with Corry's article stating Shamrock Rovers need investment, they have already been spending a very healthy budget since 2014 during the Dundalk/Cork dominance, the amount of flops they signed since 2014 is staggering. They need to find a suitable replacement for Bradley, sort their first team recruitment out and very importantly sign a striker who has the ability to hit 25 goals a season

Thanks to the UEFA money nobody else outside of Dundalk/Cork/Shamrock Rovers will challenge over the next 3 seasons unless a Leicester City is pulled-off or a lunatic with more money than sense is willing to burn their cash on another club
    If only it were the naughties again when a club could mortgage/flog their ground and fritter it away on fleeting short term success.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If they sign some better quality defenders it could well be the case that Shamrock Rovers could overtake Cork City next season. Whether that will be enough to make them league challengers remains to be seen
    You do realize that in the last 20 games or so Rovers have the best defensive record and out of the 32 games dundalk have only conceded 7 less.

It would be players that can score more that are needed.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    very importantly sign a striker who has the ability to hit 25 goals a season
    Considering 25 goals in a season has only been done four times in the last 40 years, I'd say that signing is fairly unlikely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Considering 25 goals in a season has only been done four times in the last 40 years, I'd say that signing is fairly unlikely.
    In fairness, that's cos usually when someone's on track for it they get snapped up mid season. But, yeah. A 20 a season striker is a more reasonable aim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Anyone hoping to challenge Dundalk will have to sign very well. They have the money to sign quality in depth that no one else can get near.
    It’s going to be interesting alright, especially as Dundalk’s new owners haven’t really spent yet on the panel, well apart from wages. They came in when most if not all were already onboard for this season. They obviously sanctioned the fifty k or whatever McEleney cost, but I’d imagine they will have at least three new players in mind for next season. The only possible outgoing I can see that they won’t want to lose is Duffy, they’ll offer him a good deal to stay but an SPL or higher club will be able to outbid for him.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    You do realize that in the last 20 games or so Rovers have the best defensive record and out of the 32 games dundalk have only conceded 7 less.

Agree completely. We need more goals. Watts will add some from midfield, Clarke will add a needed attacking threat but we still need a striker that can score 20

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post

I presume that when you are counting the "last 20 games or so" , you are excluding the cup defeats to Drogheda, Longford, Dundalk and AIK. By my count in the last 20 league games the comparisons are

P W D L PTS F A GD
    Rovers 20 11 6 3 39 34 12 22
    Dundalk 20 19 0 1 57 54 12 42

A decent defensive record in that period belies the fact that there remains a big gap in results. The 18 point difference would equate to 32 points over the course of a 36 game season .

Strengthening in the weakness areas in defense could allow Rovers to play a more attacking game, although I agree that neither Carr nor Shaw are potent enough to get 20 goals a season

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Waterford have to be included in that list too IMO.

They'll also have European money. But even if they're banned from that, they still have a financial backer who can make up for It in the short-to-medium term. Just look at how well they've done this season without any Euro money, for example.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I presume that when you are counting the "last 20 games or so" , you are excluding the cup defeats to Drogheda, Longford, Dundalk and AIK. By my count in the last 20 league games the comparisons are

P W D L PTS F A GD
    Rovers 20 11 6 3 39 34 12 22
    Dundalk 20 19 0 1 57 54 12 42

A decent defensive record in that period belies the fact that there remains a big gap in results. The 18 point difference would equate to 32 points over the course of a 36 game season .

Strengthening in the weakness areas in defense could allow Rovers to play a more attacking game, although I agree that neither Carr nor Shaw are potent enough to get 20 goals a season
    I think the draws column tells the story - we're keeping relatively tight at the back but it's only the last few weeks that we've started to score a few more goals. I wouldn't say the lack of attacking potency has much if anything to do with weakness in defence, it's just lack of ideas. Seems to be slowly changing now Watts is settled in but the season is almost over now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I think Manus and Watts have made a huge difference since they came in

Last 10 league Matches
    Rovers Scored 18 conceded 2
    Dundalk Scored 22 conceded 7

I realise I'm picking a shorter batch but it is with both "current teams"
    Dundalk are still far ahead as the depth of their squad means we would have to be lucky with injuries (Clarke was a huge loss this season but it happens)
    There are a couple more very promising kids to come through that might help but the illusive 20 goal striker is the key ingredient.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and a guy can have the season of his life, id say Towell in 2015 with 25 league goals (best other year 11) and Sean Maguire last year are examples. Scoring goals is either a class thing where a guy is just a good player and consistently scores 15-20 or a form thing where a guy hits a run of form.
    Hopefully we get lucky with a guy next year who hits form as we can't afford the other type ...neither can any LOI club

With our current squad we have no chance of winning the league, we've been lucky with a settled team for the last while but that can't continue.
    The off season will decide if Rovers can challenge. the current core + 3 or 4 more and a clear out to fund 4 first team type players.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 28/09/2018 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post

The off season will decide if Rovers can challenge. the current core + 3 or 4 more and a clear out to fund 4 first team type players.
    The only way there'll be a clear out will be if Bradley leaves or is sacked. If he stays (which I think he will) there'll be 3 or 4 players tops brought in and the same let go, just cant see a 'clearout' happening and anyway it makes no sense as we'd be essentially starting from scratch again.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I think Manus and Watts have made a huge difference since they came in

Last 10 league Matches
    Rovers Scored 18 conceded 2
    Dundalk Scored 22 conceded 7

I realise I'm picking a shorter batch but it is with both "current teams"
    Its always possible to build a case by being selective on recent results.
    For example you could get even more " current" and just compare the last 2 league matches
    Rovers 6-0
    Dundalk 4-2

Rovers can improve their standing next season, but not with a defence where Lee Grace is the nearest thing to a decent defender who is a regular starter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaky Blinder View Post
    The only way there'll be a clear out will be if Bradley leaves or is sacked. If he stays (which I think he will) there'll be 3 or 4 players tops brought in and the same let go, just cant see a 'clearout' happening and anyway it makes no sense as we'd be essentially starting from scratch again.
    Do Rovers fans really believe Bradley is capable of mounting a title challenge even if he got resources ? Kenny and Caulfield are established winners and their respective owners can trust them with money (based on what they have delivered), I'm far from convinced the same can be said about Bradley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Do Rovers fans really believe Bradley is capable of mounting a title challenge even if he got resources ? Kenny and Caulfield are established winners and their respective owners can trust them with money (based on what they have delivered), I'm far from convinced the same can be said about Bradley.
    Current run since transfer window would suggest he can be trusted, my definition of a clear out is 4 or 5 players out 4 ish in.
    of course the fact that hes just completing hios second full season as a manager and is 33/34/35 something like that proves conclusively he will never win anything

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Current run since transfer window would suggest he can be trusted, my definition of a clear out is 4 or 5 players out 4 ish in.
    of course the fact that hes just completing hios second full season as a manager and is 33/34/35 something like that proves conclusively he will never win anything
    Just wondered.He isn't well rated around the league as a manager (although highly rated as a coach) so if there was to be any sort of clear out and/or major change I would have thought it a big call to make it with him in situ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Should bohs trust Long for next year ?
    Take out getting the team up for matches against Rovers and its relegation form...
    perspective is everything

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'd be very interested to get a price on Shams in a match bet v Cork next season (or maybe betting without Dundalk, since I can't see any other team splitting the current top three).

Obviously getting that prolific striker is easier said than done, and I do think they could do with an upgrade at the back of their midfield too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    A run of games when there's no pressure on, not a huge amount left to play for, doesn't really give evidence just he should be trusted. His issue has always been consistency and that hasn't been resolved. The cup loss and latest Bohs loss would fill you with confidence, and that's post Mannus and Watts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast