Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cork City 1-Shels o

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cork City 1-Shels o

I thought it was a very entertaining game .Not a big crowd but the crowd that were there sang there hearts out .lots of yellows 2 red cards .i didnt see why Gamble was sent off .Heres hoping the setanta cup will come to leeside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    IT WAS FANTASTIC!!!

Lansdowne here we come!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    city played very well, shels can have no complaints, we were just better than them.

dunno why gamble got sent off,looked like he squared up to harris after harris' dirty challenge

a few dolan chants but thankfully we drownded them out

super goal by behan

could have been more, dunno why bennos goal was disallowed,wasnt offside! doyle and fenn shud have scored aswell

and the cockney rebels clearance off the line aswell was excellent

come on city!!!

god my throat hurts!!!
    Cork City F.C. the envy of the EL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Great game, esp. the second half. i though the ref was decent on the most part, though I don't remember seeing the head-butt. I though Fenn should have been a bit quicker and/or decisive when he appeared to be in on goal, could have wrapped the game up. Crowd really got into it in the second half , but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry. This is a football club not a sectarian abuse factory!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crc
    but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry.
    It's "The Fields Of Bishopstown"!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yan
    dunno why bennos goal was disallowed,wasnt offside!
    On a related point, why the hell did the ref allow Shels to restart play so quickly, when the City boys were celebrating??

Also, there was a throw in the second half on the DF side, which went straight into touch. I thought the law on throws was that it wasn't in play until another player touches it, so why did Shels get awarded a throw where the ball rolled out, instead of allowing City to re-take the original throw?

god my throat hurts!!!
    me too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anti dub
    It's "The Fields Of Bishopstown"!
    I never realised that , That makes a lot more sense . The SF/IRA point still applies, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Most of us just say Cit-y instead of sinn-fein
    and turn-ers-cross instead of I-R-A.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gamble squared up to Harris and leaned in, but didn't butt him.
    My buddy actually thinks that Alan Kelly's intervention served to shove Gamle into Harris making look like a butt - but I can't say I saw that.

Fenlon went ape when their #3 got red carded. Didn't see what happened but he clearly thought that George got your man sent off. He even went over to remonstrate with george after fulltime. Shels really can't handle losing...

We've laid some ghosts to rest tonight. We have nothing to fear from them. They even took off Crowe so they could hoof it to Harris.

Give Shels a game with a real ref (non eL) and they can't hack it. He pulled them up for the illegal play that they normally get away with.

MOTM for me was Hoggie. Blinder. Ollie did nothing and was subbed again.

Behan has the first touch of a wall, but that's two in two now..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Wasn't a great game for the neutral. Turners Cross pitch looked like a bog, it was not helpful at all making the ball bobble around hardly encouraging either side to play on the deck. 1st half was pretty dull. Shels started strongly without threatening and then Cork came into it.

The second half was better, more chances and of course the red cards. I actually missed the bloody goal due to a trip to the kitchen. Cork played the more entertaining stuff. Kearney looked sharp and ingenuitive. O'Callaghan also had a decent game in the middle. Shels by comparison seemed more prone to just hoofing it. Lacked a real creativity. I see now why people say Crowe looks overweight, he was quite ineffective.

Can't figure out for the life of me why the second goal was ruled out. Setanta made no real effort to figure out during the game. The red cards I won't even touch with a barge pole. Rico was pretty livid himself over Cork's one. Fenlon went nuts. After the match he seemed to be shaking some of the City's players hands but then went nuts again when he got to O'Callaghan. Embarrassing really.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great game, esp. the second half. i though the ref was decent on the most part, though I don't remember seeing the head-butt. I though Fenn should have been a bit quicker and/or decisive when he appeared to be in on goal, could have wrapped the game up. Crowd really got into it in the second half , but I wish someone would shut up the *****s who insist on adding SF/IRA chants into the Fields of Athenry. This is a football club not a sectarian abuse factory!
    .....our love was on the wing CI TY , we had dreams and songs to sing TURNERS CROSS , off the glory round the fields of Bishopstown

no rah chants in that that song biy
    The lunatic is on the grass
    The lunatic is on the grass
    Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs
    Got to keep the loonies on the path

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

City 1-0 Shelbourne

City 1-0 Shelbourne
    Behan 60, from play.
    Devine
    Alan Bennett Neal Horgan Dan Murray Danny Murphy
    Billy Woods Joe Gamble George O’Callaghan Liam Kearney
    Denis Behan Kevin Doyle

Devine: 6. Assured. Not a lot to do. Came out of the penalty box for some crucial interceptions.
    Benno: 7. Coped well under pressure. Pity the referee and linesmen could not see the punching he suffered off the ball. Even though his goal was disallowed, it shows what he can do when he comes up.
    Hoggie: 7. Took a bit of physical punishment too, but kept his cool and linked well with Woodsie.
    Murray: 5. Much steadier than last Friday, but is he more of a liability than an asset? He gave away possession twice when he tried to dribble out of defence.
    Danny: 8. Almost flawless. Great to see him do so well over 90 minutes. Put in some crucial tackles, including one where he ran to the right back position to break down a Shels attack.
    Woodsie: 7. Whipped in a couple of wicked crosses. Looked sharp except for a few moments of hesitation which cost us some offside decisions.
    Gamble: 8. Joe seemed to be everywhere. What a hard worker, a real powerhouse. Red card was not deserved. Luckily we have decent replacements to choose from.
    Georgie: 9. Love him or hate him, you would have to love him on the strength of tonight’s performance. Held and distributed the ball at will, even with two Shels players on him for parts of the match.
    Kearney: 8. Shels defence had a nightmare with Kearney in form. It was a sign of how well he was doing when they gave up trying to tackle him, and instead opting for Shels plan B (i.e. thuggery). Oops, they forgot that we had a neutral referee, ready to protect our players.
    Behan: 7. Had a reasonable game up to the time he scored, and appeared a different player from there on. If he keeps this up, Flynny will find it hard to reclaim his place.
    Doyler: 8. His linking with Kearney, Georgie and Behan was a joy to watch.
    Subs:
    Fenn for Behan, 80 minutes: 7. Had to go into top gear almost at once. Really calm under pressure. Gave the back 4 a target to hoof for when they needed one. Pity he didn’t take a shot when one-on-one with the keeper, even though a defender (Dave Rogers?) was breathing down his neck.
    Greg for Doyler, 88 minutes: 7. His fresh legs and will to win every 40-60 ball made a comeback goal for Shels even more unlikely.
    Ref
    Took no sh1t from Shels. A bit over the top with some of the yellows, but had to keep a firm hand on a group of willing thugs from Tolka. Why can’t we have somebody neutral every week?
    Managers
    Rico much more in evidence on side line. Gave it to the ref for the Gamble red card, and rightly so.
    Fenlon was a different matter. His push on Alan Kelly (4th official) will cost him.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Also, there was a throw in the second half on the DF side, which went straight into touch. I thought the law on throws was that it wasn't in play until another player touches it, so why did Shels get awarded a throw where the ball rolled out, instead of allowing City to re-take the original throw?
    The laws of the game state that the ball is in play when it has wholly crossed the touchline. A player does not have to touch it for it to be in play.
    Football is life. The rest is mere detail...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was another strange one. The original foul on Joe Gamble (red card incident) resulted in a free to Shels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Referee was dire. I can honestly say I saw no fault with Cork's second goal, or why Gamble was dismissed. However, if you look at the replays of the Crawley red card, both he and O'Callaghan leant into each other (look at the replays, there's no question at all of that, both did the exact same thing), and O'C went down like Rivaldo, which was a shame to see. Either way, didn't make it to the game, it made for poor telvision watching, and Cork were (unfortunately) the slightly better team.

Roll on May 2nd

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EnDai
    Referee was dire. I can honestly say I saw no fault with Cork's second goal, or why Gamble was dismissed. However, if you look at the replays of the Crawley red card, both he and O'Callaghan leant into each other (look at the replays, there's no question at all of that, both did the exact same thing), and O'C went down like Rivaldo, which was a shame to see. Either way, didn't make it to the game, it made for poor telvision watching, and Cork were (unfortunately) the slightly better team.

Roll on May 2nd
    I wasn't near the incident, but from where I sat, I thought Crawley's red card was for the rash challenge on O'Callaghan. But I agree with you on the point about going down soft. I hate to see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think it was actually Crawley who made the challenge!! (Though I stand to be corrected). Going down soft? He looked like he'd been shot, groping his face and rolling about

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    That number 3 should have been off well before the Georgie Incident..If Gamble was put off for shoving then so be it for him.Fenlon who takes him seriously,the worst type of dublin scum. Great night ,great victory,pity it wasn't 3 points.
    Cork Celtic 1974 Champions

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I thought Cork deserved their win but I didn't feel it was a classic game. The two sendings off and the goal that never was were mystifying to me, I thought O'Callaghan went down as if he was shot when there was clearly no contact, it was a straight red so not for the challenge, and Gamble never deserved to go either. The linesman on the Donie Forde stand side was heavily involved in all these incidents if I remember rightly and he got them all wrong in my opinion. Anyway hope ye suffer a hangover Thursday night in the Flansiro!
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

thecorner

a few dolan chants but thankfully we drownded them out

WHATS THAT MEANT TO MEAN...IF FANS WAN TO CHANT HI NAME, SO BE IT,, IT WAS HIS TEAM OUT THERE ALL NIGHT

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast