Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Matches 17-18 August

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Another day, another pathetic defensive display at the Brandywell.

We know the craic with Waterford at this point. A physical side, with a smattering of decent players, who aren't afraid to get a wee bit dirty if needs be.
    Then there's Derry City. Fairly young, small, weak defensively, and going into the game with one single tactic; to play it out from the back.

Waterford, as expected, pressed up from our kick outs. That limited us to playing inside our third, and after five minutes the result was pretty much assured.
    Waterford's first was well worked, but we made it so easy.
    The second was a direct result of a short pass out from Gerard Doherty to Seabourne, a painfully slow player, who immediately loses possession. It's hard to blame either of them really, they're only doing what they've been told to do.

So, that's 13 points from the last 48. The club record for goals conceded in a season keeps ticking on up (54 now), coming in at a frightening 1.9 goals conceded per match.

Thing is, we score well enough, the third best in the league at 1.5 per match. But when you effectively start every match 2-0 down, you're fecked.

This isn't going to change whilst we have Shiels in charge. He insists on this tactical madness despite it being blindingly obvious that we don't have the players capable of making it work. So we can only deduce that we have a manager who isn't interested in the result, merely playing 'the right way'.
    He's very quickly losing support amongst the fans, and Friday was the final straw for me.

Fair play to the Waterford fans who came up. There was a decent squad of them and they made plenty of noise. Good to see.
    Have you ever won the treble?

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

I remember Dundalk running on empty in 2016, and being beaten 3-0 at home by a poor Sligo slide. The players need support, not boos.
    I remember it well - it was a big shock at the time as it allowed Cork to close to within 1 point of Dundalk with only 6 games left. Despite the unexpected big defeat the team and management got applauded and cheered off the pitch in what was obviously a show of support and belief in the team.

Stephen Kenny and some of the players have referenced this moment on a number of occasions as being hugely significant to them.

Dundalk had two further league games that week, beating Cork 2-1 a few days later and then winning 3-0 in Tallaght.

The relationship between fans and the team / management was strong and built on a few years of excellent performances. It is something of a surprise that the relationships do not appear to be similar in Turners Cross considering the successes in the last couple of years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    An interesting comment from Stephen Bradley in the Independent this morning.

Bradley did not appreciate the suggestion that a scoreless draw on Friday would have been viewed as a bad result as well.
    "None of the derby games have been good games, we know that, so obviously 'yeah' is the answer," he said, when asked if there was a reason why they toiled against Bohs. "Nobody was creating chances. The game was finishing 0-0. We lost concentration. Why wouldn't it (0-0) have been a good result? That's sometimes the way it goes."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37231519.html

That is not a attitude that impresses fans. A home draw with a team much lower down the table being considered a good result?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I remember it well - it was a big shock at the time as it allowed Cork to close to within 1 point of Dundalk with only 6 games left. Despite the unexpected big defeat the team and management got applauded and cheered off the pitch in what was obviously a show of support and belief in the team.

Stephen Kenny and some of the players have referenced this moment on a number of occasions as being hugely significant to them.

Dundalk had two further league games that week, beating Cork 2-1 a few days later and then winning 3-0 in Tallaght.

The relationship between fans and the team / management was strong and built on a few years of excellent performances. It is something of a surprise that the relationships do not appear to be similar in Turners Cross considering the successes in the last couple of years.
    Come down off your high horse. There is a very good relationship between the players and fans at Turners Cross. We were abysmal yesterday on the back of a European exit. People were frustrated to see our title challenge dispensary so meekly.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Was it a completely flat performance EL P or did you only really get going in the last 20? Also did you have any chances to win it,or did the team not manager to raise it for the last 6 mins or so ? Usually you see a barnstorming finish to a game when a team equalises so late.

I think it's a fair point the Dundalk lads are making btw. That 3-0 home defeat by Sligo could def have been a turning point in that years league title race. We all knew the game was up even at 2-0 down such was the dreadful display. Rogers made a howler by trying to trap it for one of them also, 3-0 just rubber stamped it, the reaction from the fans at FT certainly lifted the team. Rogers was dropped for the Cork 2-1 win shortly after but regained his spot afterwards. That display v Cork was top class.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Come down off your high horse. There is a very good relationship between the players and fans at Turners Cross. We were abysmal yesterday on the back of a European exit. People were frustrated to see our title challenge dispensary so meekly.
    High horse? Did you even read the post?

I simply expressed surprise at the reactions of Cork fans. Maybe there is a wonderful relationship between fans and team, but booing them off is a poor way to express it.

It contrasts strongly with the reaction I outlined
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 20/08/2018 at 4:30 PM. Reason: stringly to strongly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    To be fair to El P (did I say that ? ) contrasting one match where Dundalk fans reacted well to a defeat with a match where some Cork fans didn't react well and implying there is some underlying disconnect with one team and their fans compared to the other is a bit of a leap, Cork have been getting great crowds and they were disappointed at throwing away the league to Pats. The defeat by Sligo in your case had you guys still on top of the league....
    In all probability losing the league at home to Pats is not the same as clapping a team off who are top of the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    An interesting comment from Stephen Bradley in the Independent this morning.

Bradley did not appreciate the suggestion that a scoreless draw on Friday would have been viewed as a bad result as well.
    "None of the derby games have been good games, we know that, so obviously 'yeah' is the answer," he said, when asked if there was a reason why they toiled against Bohs. "Nobody was creating chances. The game was finishing 0-0. We lost concentration. Why wouldn't it (0-0) have been a good result? That's sometimes the way it goes."

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37231519.html

That is not a attitude that impresses fans. A home draw with a team much lower down the table being considered a good result?
    Bradser could have revealed the third secret of Fatima after the match and the fans wouldn't have been impressed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forza View Post
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-37230009.html

Rather disturbing, it's a shame to see a minority of idiots dragging their clubs names through the muck again.
    Why do they have to have it on a street, is there no forest they can go to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    In all probability losing the league at home to Pats is not the same as clapping a team off who are top of the league.
    Losing the league ? At this precise point in time, Cork are still joint top, they lost a bit of ground, that's it really. Most are assuming Dundalk will win the two games in hand. I hope we do, but points not in the bag yet.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Given that Dundalk have won 16 of their last 17 domestic matches - the defeat in Cobh the bizarre exception - it seems fair to say the league is likely over, and the two points dropped against Pats are big ones as it means Dundalk can afford to lose a game and be comfortable

I agree the booing seems excessive though

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    "You take whats on offer and what was on offer was a drew" absolute crap Mr Bradley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Dundalk one up through Duffy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Dundalk are favourites to win the league - as they have been for most of the season - but the league is far from over.

If Dundalk maintain their current average points per match they would finish on 86 points. Cork can exceed this total.

The league is not over, unless the Cork City team and management believe it to be and that attitude translates into performances

If supporters continue to turn on the team, it certainly won't help the players.
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 21/08/2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: "help" added into last line for clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Hoban makes it two. What a season he is having.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    What is the point of the boos? The players must have been knackered; they probably missed a nights sleep on Thursday, and their confidence is dented by two comprehensive away defeats in Europe.

I remember Dundalk running on empty in 2016, and being beaten 3-0 at home by a poor Sligo slide. The players need support, not boos.
    Any boos I heard were reserved for Clarke (unbelievable timewasting during the game) and Hennessy (atrocious as referee, but not to blame for [Cork] City performance). Plenty of negative shouting during the game, plenty of it, but didn't witness booing of the team. Some may have done, of course, but I wouldn't say it was representative of the majority by a long way.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Dundalk deserved winners. Took their chances when they came and are best team in the league imo. Which makes ya wonder why they never stop whinging and cribbing to the ref and rolling around like they are shot. Its not necessary for a good team.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    It comes from the manager.
    I agree they are the best team in the league, but they've spent their way this season so anything other than a league title should be considered a failure. They will need to recruit a defence if they want to make a mark in Europe next season tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    It comes from the manager.
    I agree they are the best team in the league, but they've spent their way this season so anything other than a league title should be considered a failure. They will need to recruit a defence if they want to make a mark in Europe next season tho.
    Stephen Kenny has earned any budget he has created, building from next to nothing in 2013.

Of the players who started last night, only the returning Patrick Hoban was not at the club last season.

With only 13 goals conceded in 28 league games (along with a goal difference of plus 57), this indicates a phenomenal domestic defensive record, especially for a team focused on attacking football (70 league goals already) - but I agree that progress in Europe will require improvements in the squad.

I expect Stephen Kenny to strengthen further in the close season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    To be fair to El P (did I say that ? ) contrasting one match where Dundalk fans reacted well to a defeat with a match where some Cork fans didn't react well and implying there is some underlying disconnect with one team and their fans compared to the other is a bit of a leap, Cork have been getting great crowds and they were disappointed at throwing away the league to Pats. The defeat by Sligo in your case had you guys still on top of the league....
    Like every other club in the league we have our share of muppets following us as well.
    I heard a few boos but whether they were aimed at Clarke for his constant time wasting or that clown of a referee Hennessy for being so inept or the players is hard to say.
    I'm not blaming Hennessy for our inability to beat Pats but he was god awful.
    I think that's at least three times we have had him this year & each time was worse that the previous.
    Its sad when you look at the fixtures that the first thing you look for is who the referee is going to be

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast