Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish involvement in the Football League playoffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Irish involvement in the Football League playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Goal for Egan today. Equalizer in a 1-1 draw away to Rochdale.

"visitors levelled when Egan headed in Jermaine McGlashan's right-wing delivery to stay in the top six on goal difference over Barnsley."
    It's looking like Brighton/Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday and Hull v Derby in the Championship semi finals. A bit of Irish involvement with all five clubs at least, although I'm not sure playing for Premier League clubs would be much benefit to Towell, Ward or Meyler at this stage as they'd probably have a better chance of regular football in the Championship.

As Stu mentioned about, Hourihane's Barnsley are only outside of the playoffs on GD in League 1. O'Dowda and Oxford are just about hanging on to the final automatic spot in League 2.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 20/04/2016 at 11:09 AM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    spinning this out into its own thread for this year's play offs.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    Rory Gaffney with Bristol Rovers will be in the play-offs in League Two anyway, a point off automatic places with three to play.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It's looking like Brighton/Burnley v Sheffield Wednesday and Hull v Derby in the Championship semi finals. A bit of Irish involvement with all five clubs at least, although I'm not sure playing for Premier League clubs would be much benefit to Towell, Ward or Meyler at this stage as they'd probably have a better chance of regular football in the Championship.

As Stu mentioned about, Hourihane's Barnsley are only outside of the playoffs on GD in League 1. O'Dowda and Oxford are just about hanging on to the final automatic spot in League 2.
    Not beyond the bounds of possibility that it might be Cardiff instead of Wednesday. Cardiff play Bolton this w/e while Weds are away to Derby. I expect the gap to be 3 points at the end of those games. Next up then: Owls vs Cardiff.

So Pilkington and Eoin Doyle (on loan at Preston) not out of it yet.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Could have done with those extra two points last night alright but lucky Cardiff were beaten.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Ward & Meyler shouldn't have a problem getting football in the Premier League.

Towell doesn't have a chance of getting a look in. Thought it was a strange move from the start TBH.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Ward & Meyler shouldn't have a problem getting football in the Premier League.
    Hard to know I think. Meyler doesn't seem to be a nailed on starter anymore, promotion could mean further investment and competition. Ward is having a good run at the moment for sure, but it's not too long ago that he wasn't getting a kick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Important game coming up tonight for Burnley v Preston with Stephen Ward the main Irish interest from a play off perspective with them hovering between automatic promotion and a play off spot.
    Greg Cunningham, Alan Browne and Eoin Doyle all with PNE who cant reach get a playoff spot.

Interestingly, while looking through the Burnley squads I noticed a player for their development squad called Khius Metz who is noted as Irish. A little bit more sleuthing and it appears he is a striker who has been capped for us at U17 and U19 level (Sept 2015). Anyone know anything about him as a prospect outside of that and the connection to Ireland? Maybe ill also post this to the other thread...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Interestingly, while looking through the Burnley squads I noticed a player for their development squad called Khius Metz who is noted as Irish. A little bit more sleuthing and it appears he is a striker who has been capped for us at U17 and U19 level (Sept 2015). Anyone know anything about him as a prospect outside of that and the connection to Ireland? Maybe ill also post this to the other thread...
    Is he one of the Metz of Ballaghaderreen ?

As for TOWK's comments on Meyler, he didn't even make the bench for the recent game against Brentford. Is he injured?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    I like Chris Hughton.......but not that much. A future Irish manager I suspect. Towell won't get a look in so that will be the only Irish connection although there are 4 Irish in the development squad. McGeady may just about get on the bench for Wednesday while Westwood will start.

Meyler I assume is still injured for Hull and with Jonathan Douglas breaking Derby midfielder Thorne's leg over the weekend, it might open the way for Hendrick to play for Derby, although I am not sure if they play the same position to be honest. Keogh of course will be battling for Derby although he was subbed at half time. Not sure why.

Not a huge Irish interest but enough to fret about injuries for some and the results for other(s).

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Should Sheff Wed or Millwall make their respective finals which are smack bang in the middle of our 2 friendlies, how much of an effect will it have on Westwood/Fordes chances of going to France.
    And McGeadys? (colours to the mast, I don't want him to go.)

And if they are both in their finals, the 3 keepers in our friendly squad will be Randolph, Given and who? Lawlor?

Sky Bet Championship Final 28 May
    13/5 + 16/5 Sheff Wed V Brighton
    Sheff Wed: Westwood (should start), McGeady(likely sub)
    Brighton: Towell (unlikely)
    14/5 + 17/5 Derby V Hull
    Derby: Christie (should start), Keogh (should start), Hendrick (50/50)
    Hull: Meyler (doubtful), Lenihan (unlikely)

Sky Bet League One Final 29 May
    14/5 + 19/5 Barnsley V Walsall
    Barnsley: Hourihane (should start), White (likely sub)
    Walsall: Forde (should start), Kinsella (likely sub)
    15/5 + 20/5 Bradford V Millwall
    Bradford: Clarke (should start), Cullen (50/50)
    Millwall: O'Brien (should start), Williams (50/50), Forde (likely sub)

Sky Bet League Two Final 30 May
    12/5 + 15/5 Portsmouth V Plymouth
    Portsmouth: Murphy (should start), Stevens (should start), Doyle (should start), Barton (likely sub), Wilkinson (unlikely)
    Plymouth: McHugh (should start), Carey (should start)
    14/5 + 18/5 Wimbledon V Accrington
    Wimbledon: Smith (likely sub), Murphy (likely sub)
    Accrington: Conneely (should start)
    Last edited by Closed Account; 09/05/2016 at 6:04 PM.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    Hows the knee JoeD ?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Hows the knee JoeD ?
    Can walk on it, bend it, light jogging. Physio later this week to see if any ligament/tendon damage but from multiple knee injury experience, I think I've been lucky. Could actually work out for the best as I have a lump in my quad that I've put off getting looked at and now's a good chance. Doctor reckons 1, possibly 2 of the 4 quad muscles have torn, couldn't believe I had continued to play on it for last 8 months....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Meyler I assume is still injured for Hull and with Jonathan Douglas breaking Derby midfielder Thorne's leg over the weekend, it might open the way for Hendrick to play for Derby, although I am not sure if they play the same position to be honest. Keogh of course will be battling for Derby although he was subbed at half time. Not sure why.
    Thorne would be a more deep lying midfielder and Hendrick more advanced or box to box. They don't have a real like for like replacement for Thorne though so they might drop Will Hughes a little deeper which would create a vacancy further forward. It would probably be between Butterfield and Hendrick to start then but Bradley Johnson has just returned from injury too. I'm not sure how they can slot him in without upsetting the balance though, I think they'd need to (unfairly) drop Ince or Russell to accommodate him so, for me, it's between Hendrick and Butterfield.

Keogh got a yellow card just before half time, I presume another one would have put him out of the playoff first leg?

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Apparently, he's really, REALLY fast. According to Burnley's website he "smashed Darren Campbell’s 20-year school record in the 200 metre sprint! His pace has helped the forward chip in with goals for the youth team, even notching twice for the Development Squad." It also says that he's been offered new terms for 2016/17.

22. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    NEWS: Grant, Baird, Johnson, Hendrick, Weimann, Bent, Camara & Blackman are all playing in a friendly Vs Barnsley today.

Update: Hendrick and Johnson have been substituted at half-time, suggests he'll have some part to play on Saturday.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 10/05/2016 at 3:43 PM.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Apparently, he's really, REALLY fast. According to Burnley's website he "smashed Darren Campbell’s 20-year school record in the 200 metre sprint! His pace has helped the forward chip in with goals for the youth team, even notching twice for the Development Squad." It also says that he's been offered new terms for 2016/17.
    Yeah, I saw that alright. Good sign. Theres also another player Aiden O'Neill that was offered a new contract. He was born in Oz but, with that name, surely someone for the FAI to look into?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    777 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I remember we also had a super speed king in Alan O'Brien who played for Newcastle back in the day. The trouble is he seldom had the ball with him. Fingers crossed for the latest Usain Bolt

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Dale Stephens given 3 game ban, promoting Sidwell to the starting XI for Brighton and Richie Towell favourite to make the bench. Only 1 injury away....

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast