Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: U23 Players 2018/19

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    he was injured from December and then on loan at Luton (where you can still play for u23s or friendlies of your host team but with not the senior side)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47784977

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    he was injured from December and then on loan at Luton (where you can still play for u23s or friendlies of your host team but with not the senior side)

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47784977
    The point is that he wasn't afforded an opportunity pre-injury. That's when a lot of the speculation was being bandied around German clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    To be fair, Brighton had only failed to score in eight games until the end of January. Their problems at that point were in defence. By the time they had stopped scoring, Connolly was injured

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    241 Posts
    All fair points Tets & elated -- perhaps I'm being too harsh on Hughton. Just want to see if Connolly has the stuff at the top level!
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    https://www.thisisanfield.com/2019/0...iendly-defeat/ this mentions that mcauley is out of contract this summer. If that's the case shamrock rovers would be a great move he would fit in well and give them a front man who is technical and can bring others into the play and be a goal threat.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I did a check on his stats this season. He played 16 games in the PL2 for the under 23 side without a goal. The release on the cards.

At 19, this is an important decision to make alright. He is at an age where he could either come home or he could trial at a few lower league sides in England in the hope of earning a contract.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I did a check on his stats this season. He played 16 games in the PL2 for the under 23 side without a goal. The release on the cards.

At 19, this is an important decision to make alright. He is at an age where he could either come home or he could trial at a few lower league sides in England in the hope of earning a contract.
    He is a lovely technical footballer and a good finisher but no where near enough power or pace for liverpool at the moment. Brewster is the same age but miles ahead physically. Would love to see him at rovers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Liverpool is a graveyard for young Irish talent .........

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    Liverpool is a graveyard for young Irish talent .........
    O'Hanlon, Masterson, Cleary and McAuley were all very hotly tipped. None of then even lasted long enough there to get out on a loan. Hopefully Kelleher breaks the mould.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    He is a lovely technical footballer and a good finisher but no where near enough power or pace for liverpool at the moment. Brewster is the same age but miles ahead physically. Would love to see him at rovers
    For a lad who was spoken so highly of for so long, I feel it would be disastrous for him to come home to Rovers. Admittedly Liam, you probably know a whole lot more about the scene at home that I do, but there is plenty of time for him to come home. I can think of 24 Championship clubs he can go to before ever thinking of coming home.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    For a lad who was spoken so highly of for so long, I feel it would be disastrous for him to come home to Rovers. Admittedly Liam, you probably know a whole lot more about the scene at home that I do, but there is plenty of time for him to come home. I can think of 24 Championship clubs he can go to before ever thinking of coming home.
    It's a fair point but would he play much at championship level at the moment? I dont think he is physically good enough just yet. He cant even make our under 19 squad now with the likes of afolabi and idah not to mention obafemi ahead of him for that central role all of whom are much more powerful and athletic than he is at present. A few years at rovers playing in a side that plays good football and badly need a natural front man would give him a chance to develop physically while playing at a high level and in Europe to go back to UK maybe at 22 or 23 physically ready

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's a fair point but would he play much at championship level at the moment? I dont think he is physically good enough just yet. He cant even make our under 19 squad now with the likes of afolabi and idah not to mention obafemi ahead of him for that central role all of whom are much more powerful and athletic than he is at present. A few years at rovers playing in a side that plays good football and badly need a natural front man would give him a chance to develop physically while playing at a high level and in Europe to go back to UK maybe at 22 or 23 physically ready
    He'd have to get into the Rovers team first. Alex O'Hanlon wasn't close to being good enough for the LOI Premier Division. Cleary was but after another year in England.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    He'd have to get into the Rovers team first. Alex O'Hanlon wasn't close to being good enough for the LOI Premier Division. Cleary was but after another year in England.
    Ah Charles he would get into that rovers team wouldn't he? Ye badly need a front man surely ye cant win a league with greene and Carr as front man options?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    @mark12345

Honestly, I really feel another year at Liverpool would do him good. Not sure he's ready for senior football yet, be it in the championship or league 1 or league of ireland. he's always been an excellent finisher, totally natural. but as he's gone from U18 to U23, the quality of defenders improved and he began to struggle. but since then, his movement off the ball and his hold up play has really improved, along with his decision making and passing in the final third. even if he was to play U23s until January and then move to Rovers hopefully for a season. It would give him an extra 6 months of physical development, at which point hopefully he'd be able for the challenges he will face.

Half our current u21 side are lads who went across at 16 and are back home now. League of Ireland clubs are filled with lads who have essentially come home to play regular football - and the quality of football in the league has improved a lot in recent years... Genuinely, I could name a team of players who could be future internationals playing in the league right now (aged between 19 and 23) - so it’s really not the death knell for a young player that it once was.

15. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Ah Charles he would get into that rovers team wouldn't he? Ye badly need a front man surely ye cant win a league with greene and Carr as front man options?
    Rovers play with physical and athletic strikers. I don't know what type of player McAuley is but I doubt he would be physically ready for men's football having never played it before.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    450 Posts
    Confirmation that McCauley is leaving liverpool. One great goalscoring season for the 18s and 2 average follow on seasons . To be fair he stepped up to 23s this season and looked decent I thought when he got opportunities. At 19 it's a great age to leave after a great education. Good hold up player, decent pace nice finisher and decent size but not the most athletic yet but hopefully that will come.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617