479 Posts
    Lee o Conner should move to nolan's agency

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Good luck to him. A move to League 1 would be ideal if he can manage it. He can then develop his career and hopefully move up through the divisions.

He will only end up sitting in the reserves for a Premiership club and opportunities will be very limited at any decent Championship outfit.

Avoid Celtic like the plague.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Ryan’s career taking another dip, despite his agent doing his/her best with numerous porky pies.

His move to Swiss Challenge League club Chiasso FC will be confirmed next week according to this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.tutto...a-breve-258754

A club with a stadium capacity of 5000, who finished 10th (last) last season, however, weren’t relegated due to covid. Hopefully, he can at least get a run of games. And of course he will face Connor Ronan’s Grasshopper too

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Would Ryan be in our top 10 under 23 prospects at centre back at this stage - probably not to be honest. It was a nice story with him captaining Inter at underage level and all that, but his career path in the last year suggests he is nowhere near the standard required to ever feature for us.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He just hasn’t pushed on. He really looked poor in the Arezzo extended highlights I saw (although generally biased against defenders!). But u never know, if he plays 40 odd games this year and adapts to senior level, he’s still only 22 next summer and could be appealing to bigger clubs then. Unlikely but not impossible.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There were people on here livid that Liam Scales at UCD was picked ahead of him for the under-21s by Kenny but Scales is still playing at a higher level and doing better. I think Nolan has talent and can break through but sometimes we need to not be blinded by the name of the club a player is at. Senior football is hard and he's finding that out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Yes, some of the earlier comments on this thread have not aged well at all. That said, it is difficult to gauge where youth players are at, particularly those players outside Ireland and the UK. But, similar to Under 23 football in England, performances at underage level in Italy, even at the big clubs, are largely meaningless. First team football is the only level you can really judge a player by.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Even with his career since leaving Inter, it was baffling why he wasn't in any squad, ever, since the U18s
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Any clip we saw of him. He didn't look very good. That's possibly very unfair and he might be a talent, but maybe they just thought no not for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There were people on here livid that Liam Scales at UCD was picked ahead of him for the under-21s by Kenny but Scales is still playing at a higher level and doing better. I think Nolan has talent and can break through but sometimes we need to not be blinded by the name of the club a player is at. Senior football is hard and he's finding that out.
    Careful Charles, that was near on Paul O'Shea levels of 'I told you so', along with the standard Posh safety net for good measure.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Serie C vs playing with 15 year olds in the Irish first division.....neck and neck on the standard I would say!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Nolan was playing in the UEFA youth league, against troy Parrott, when Scales was getting called up. I'm not saying he should have started, but surely he was deserving of a place in the squad?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I don't know - if Kenny watched him and thought he wasn't good enough, then there was probably no justification in calling him up. To be fair to Scales he has played well on the few occasions he has actually got on to the pitch for Ireland. He didn't look out of place in Toulon last year. From the (admittedly limited amount of) footage I have seen of Nolan he hasn't looked like a player who would have a lot to offer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I just felt it was odd that a kid who is eligible for 3 countries and was doing well at the Inter Milan academy, including captaining their under 19 side, never played a competitive underage game for Ireland. There’s something wrong there. At least have a look at him. My gripe was never with scales directly, per se. Although I was probably a bit harsh on him
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 19/09/2020 at 12:04 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    He was close enough. He was on standby for Kenny’s first squad. Ndaba and Scales were called up ahead. He looked good in those games against Spurs as far as I remember, which were in the months prior to that squad. Scales obviously impressed and became a mainstay in the squad but Ndaba was never seen again and didn’t play any first team football until a few weeks ago.

Obviously it hasn’t really panned out for Nolan but it was a reasonable shout to think he merited inclusion...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Serie C vs playing with 15 year olds in the Irish first division.....neck and neck on the standard I would say!!
    Scales wasn't called up when he was in the First Division - he was playing against full internationals in the Premier, whereas Nolan had never played a game of senior football in his life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Careful Charles, that was near on Paul O'Shea levels of 'I told you so', along with the standard Posh safety net for good measure.
    Hey, if I'm going to learn from anyone it's from people who actually go to away matches.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Scales wasn't called up when he was in the First Division - he was playing against full internationals in the Premier, whereas Nolan had never played a game of senior football in his life.
    Rovers II aren’t looking for a centre half are they?! Nolan has just been released on a free now so needs to find a club to rebuild his career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Rovers II aren’t looking for a centre half are they?! Nolan has just been released on a free now so needs to find a club to rebuild his career
    Funnily enough he'd be too old (whereas Scales has played for Rovers II as the one allowed overage player).

Nolan does seem to have made it his goal to go to England, though, but joining an Irish club might not be the worst thing in the world. LOI tends to reward ball-playing centre-halves and he could develop quicker than at a League One side.
    Last edited by Charlie Darwin; 26/09/2020 at 4:39 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Ryan Nolan seems to have joined Getafe, where he'll link up with their B team playing in the third tier.

https://twitter.com/Sp_Getafe/status...85319298854912

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast