2018 Internationl Champions Cup

Arsenal vs Chelsea Aviva Stadium, Dublin Wednesday August 1st

Attendance: 46,002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Trying to provoke some angry responses by any chance??

I don't think anyone on here would be too surprised by this attendance. Given how popular the PL is here I was surprised there were a few thousand empty seats. Massive crowds always flock to see the big PL teams wherever they go. They frequently sell out massive stadia in Australia, Asia and North America. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Seems like a lot of people had a good day out and it was probably a money-spinner for the FAI and the Dublin economy in general.

As has been discussed on the attendances thread recently, our domestic league attendances are about average for a country of our population. If people want to go and watch Arsenal and Chelsea, more power to them.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I am just surprised a game between two of the biggest premiership sides here didn't sell out to be honest.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    I'll bite but we've been here before

There was a Father and son + wife (but she looked a bit uninterested, spent the match on her phone) sitting in front of me and my son at this match and they were talking about what a great night out it was for them together in Dublin and how it was the kids 3rd time seeing Arsenal (he looked about 12).

Its like the possibility of going to see a match every second Friday in Dublin doesn't exist.
    This is why European progression is so important IMO if we can get success consistently going forward we might crack into Peoples consciousness.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I will bite as well. No point in ignoring this, there is a huge issue with soccer followers in Ireland. Making an assumption here that at least 30k were Irish. Agree that Irish clubs reaching the group stages in the Europa league regularly, could convince a good number of these soccer fans to spend a bit of their money on the LoI product. A small percentage of this spend could make a significant difference to the league.
    BTW I am not against English clubs coming over to play friendlies, wish more of the higher profile ones did, but play against our native clubs creating a benefit for the domestic game.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I doubt it TBH. Premiership fans tend to regard the Europa League with contempt.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I know a fair few people who were at this game that are also LOI fans.

I generally don't care about this craic anymore. It's annoying, but you're only annoying yourself if you give out about it.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'll bite but we've been here before

There was a Father and son + wife (but she looked a bit uninterested, spent the match on her phone) sitting in front of me and my son at this match and they were talking about what a great night out it was for them together in Dublin and how it was the kids 3rd time seeing Arsenal (he looked about 12).

Its like the possibility of going to see a match every second Friday in Dublin doesn't exist.
    This is why European progression is so important IMO if we can get success consistently going forward we might crack into Peoples consciousness.
    I completely agree.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    Arsenal vs Chelsea Aviva Stadium, Dublin Wednesday August 1st

Attendance: 46,002

Man Utd V Liverpool. last Sunday. Somewhere in America

ATENDANCE 100,000 plus

What exactly is the point ? if these people didn't attend premiership games they would all flock to LOI ? Complete bullsh1t. Here was 40,000 football fans in Dublin 4 (another 40,000 tomorrow) and the so called football authorities here couldn't be bothered even putting up a stall advertising our League.

A captive market of potential customers, why doesn't the authorities or clubs use the opportunity to make a pitch ? Because its easier to moan about EPL, bar stoolers etc. Apparently slagging off those attending Wednesday night (I didn't as it happens) is more likely to 'encourage' them to attend LOI. No wonder the League is a mess.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    So hold two games and put a fiver levy on every ticket ringfenced for the LoI. 45,000 x 2 x 5 = 450,000. You'd almost double the league prize fund in one go.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Man Utd V Liverpool. last Sunday. Somewhere in America

ATENDANCE 100,000 plus

What exactly is the point ? if these people didn't attend premiership games they would all flock to LOI ? Complete bullsh1t. Here was 40,000 football fans in Dublin 4 (another 40,000 tomorrow) and the so called football authorities here couldn't be bothered even putting up a stall advertising our League.

A captive market of potential customers, why doesn't the authorities or clubs use the opportunity to make a pitch ? Because its easier to moan about EPL, bar stoolers etc. Apparently slagging off those attending Wednesday night (I didn't as it happens) is more likely to 'encourage' them to attend LOI. No wonder the League is a mess.
    Best post on this (from a bohs fan ) your 100% right the big screens showing one of Rovers "nothing beats being there" videos or the one from Bohs showing the dad walking his kid through the phibsboro wastelands to see bohs might have made people think..
    Positive action rather than whinging. I was at the match and there was no mention or even acknowledgement of the LOI

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    I would imagine the organisers would have ensured neither of those events could have happened (cut to the LoI or LoI publicity)

This was about ramming home the Premiership. Why would you, as organiser, promote a rival at that event?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    fair point, since making that post it occurred to me that the FAI weren't organising that gig it was an independent company as this "tournament" is being played all over the world.
    All billboards around the ground removed etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I would imagine the organisers would have ensured neither of those events could have happened (cut to the LoI or LoI publicity)

This was about ramming home the Premiership. Why would you, as organiser, promote a rival at that event?
    Were the clubs approached to see if they would support some LOI promotion ? the promoter ? Did anyone think to hand out leaflets to those punters going in ? I suspect none of those were considered. Much easier to take a holier than thou attitude about 'bar stoolers' blah blah blah. And really, LOI is nowhere near 'a rival' to the EPL

Because slagging off potential customers (they have at last some interest in the game) is a sure fire way to succeed in business. As long as some want to make it a EPL V LOI situation there will be only one outcome, and its not good for LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    So hold two games and put a fiver levy on every ticket ringfenced for the LoI. 45,000 x 2 x 5 = 450,000. You'd almost double the league prize fund in one go.
    Only works if it is an FAI event.Possible for FAI to prohibit (withhold their agreement) the game unless there is a contribution but not good PR (Limerick V Barcelona debacle springs to mind).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Were the clubs approached to see if they would support some LOI promotion ? the promoter ? Did anyone think to hand out leaflets to those punters going in ? I suspect none of those were considered. Much easier to take a holier than thou attitude about 'bar stoolers' blah blah blah. And really, LOI is nowhere near 'a rival' to the EPL

Because slagging off potential customers (they have at last some interest in the game) is a sure fire way to succeed in business. As long as some want to make it a EPL V LOI situation there will be only one outcome, and its not good for LOI.
    For a big corporate event like this, I would say media and other communications were very tightly regulated indeed.

I'd say it was clear there was to be no LoI promotion at it - if the question was even asked, of course.

It would have been very much a read-off-the-corporate-hymnsheet event, or we'll go find another city.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    For a big corporate event like this, I would say media and other communications were very tightly regulated indeed.

I'd say it was clear there was to be no LoI promotion at it - if the question was even asked, of course.

It would have been very much a read-off-the-corporate-hymnsheet event, or we'll go find another city.
    Nothing to stop anyone handing out flyers OUTSIDE the stadium listing the LOI games this weekend. Doubt EPL or promoters would be too concerned about LOI (as a rival) so might have been willing to throw us some small bone (if you don't ask....) EPL - supporting Irish football etc, they would make a virtue of it !
    The FAIlures cant even utilize our International team to assist the league so no point in waiting on them to do anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    There was a piece in the programme about some LOI players to watch I believe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thebronze14 View Post
    There was a piece in the programme about some LOI players to watch I believe
    Ya probably along the lines of "they're too good for that LOI so you'll probably see them playing in England soon" 😜

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Irish people are only interested in 'events'. This was an event. If there was an EPL based club in Dublin playing all home games at the aviva they would struggle to attract 20,000 home fans regularly (Bar games against the usual suspects of course). Theres no point getting exercised about these events it will only hurt your brain.

As an aside does anyone know the format for this 'cup'? How does a team win it? Have seen nothing mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast