Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weekend fixtures 27/28/29 July

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Yeah, that was 93rd minute and all. I was at the opposite end as stated, but I bunch of us around me thought it was in from the way the Waterford players reacted. I will say that between Holland's body, the packed penalty area from the refs perspective, and the rain, people shouldn't be too harsh on the officials for this specific incident.

Doesn't change the fact that the officials are bad in the league. Limerick found that out the previous weekend, and I know we will again before the season is over.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I get the impression that you consider his behaviour in a positive light almost as some sort of admirable laddish affectation.
    It's more a weary acceptance of it at this stage of the game.
    He's well known for having an attitude problem which probably doesn't do a lot of good for the team, but he won't change. It can be an entertaining soap opera to watch, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    I don't know much about Patterson. I take it this type of thing is commonplace for him?
    Always thought he was a very good CF whenever I've seen him. Is he not an automatic starter these days??
    There's always something. He was dropped for the Cork match for some rumoured misbehaviour in Minsk.

He's a good CF, with a noticeable improvement in his passing of late, but he's not an automatic starter, no. Realistically, he can't perform at 100% for 90 minutes.
    Personally, I'd use him as a second half sub.
    Last edited by brendy_éire; 29/07/2018 at 11:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I agree with Brendy about Patterson. The guy is an arrogant git. But he's our arrogant git.
    Defo not a starter especially since Roy signed.

On to the game and Pats must feel absolutely robbed twice in the Brandywell this season.

But what an end to the game from the penalty save til the 5 mins of injury time the Brandywell was rocking. Hopefully that gets us an extra 400+ in for the game against Sligo on Friday night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Bohs made it very tough for Dundalk tonight, they were well set up and we had to work hard enough for the 3 points.

Some decent patches of play by Dundalk in the second half especially when McEleney came on, but overall quite a tired performance. Just glad of the win and back on top.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Looked to be only 1500 - 1800 at it, if even. Shams really should have higher crowds than they get. Their league average attendance isn't much better, circa 2,500. Still, solid win last night, unbeaten stretch growing nicely.
    i think the average is better than 2 .5 k, i think after 5 years of abject mediocrity our average is just about acceptable, had Cork and Dundalk had the same served up to their paying public they could struggle to get that average. BEST SUPPORTED AVERAGE TEAM IN THE COUNTRY IS THE HOOPS.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    . BEST SUPPORTED AVERAGE TEAM IN THE COUNTRY IS THE HOOPS.
    That's brilliant.

A new mediocrity measurement.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Lol like that definition. It has the right ring of optimism and beaten down acceptance of a rovers supporter in the post Miltown era ....it's the hope that kills you 🤩

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    i think the average is better than 2 .5 k, i think after 5 years of abject mediocrity our average is just about acceptable, had Cork and Dundalk had the same served up to their paying public they could struggle to get that average. BEST SUPPORTED AVERAGE TEAM IN THE COUNTRY IS THE HOOPS.
    This is an interesting point, so I took a look at our clubs averages over the past few years and I don't think there's much real difference between the support levels at Shamrock Rovers and Cork City. I think our highest is potentially a little higher, and maybe your absolute bottom level is a littler higher but in a mediocre season where our club isn't fighting for the title but is maybe looking at getting into Europe via 3rd or 4th I think we'd draw similar crowds. Its hard to do an exact comparison because we haven't ever had identical seasons

Attendance 2018
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
    Cork City 4488 4559 2,533 3,263 3,777 1,965 2,786 2,128 1,693
    Shamrock Rovers 2806 2809 2,041 2,890 2,269 2,763 3,127 3,779 3,794
    League Position 2018
    2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
    Cork City 1-2 1 2 2 2 6 6 1 6
    Shamrock Rovers 3-4 3 4 3 4 5 4 1 1

Our league title winning season, and the following season (we could yet retain it we will have to wait and see) we had higher crowds than your title seasons by about 20%. Our worst Premier Division season in recent years we fell below 2k, and I'd be surprised if you bottomed out that low, though I suspect we have done some work to ensure we don't fall to that level again either.

Overall though, if we take out the title seasons from both clubs (including us this year) and our first division seasons and we average right about the same.
    Our average attendance from 2012 to 2016 is 2865. Yours between 2012 and 2018 is 2672. Given that we have a few second place seasons in there that probably explains the slight difference. Maybe if you had been consistently in the top two over the past few years you might have averaged slightly higher, its hard to know.
    Given how far from contending for titles you have been the last two seasons I think Rovers crowds are generally very good.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    That's interesting stuff.
    I'm inclined to agree if you consider how far off chalwnging we have been the crowds have been reasonable.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    I was over at a conference in Manchester and got chatting to one of the community officers at FC United. When I mentioned Rory Patterson to him he described him as one of the worst human beings he had ever come across. Good footballer though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Fair enough then. I don't mean to backhand compliment SRFC over their attendances, as there are times when attendances are quite good, especially Bohs games. There are as many people (roughly) in Tallaght as Limerick, so I guess I was thinking of things from that point of view, how more people should attend matches there. You make a good point though that given recent mediocre seasons, the 2.5 ish k average is not too bad, all in all.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Soccer Republic tonight...Limerick Waterford highlights - and a moment that wasn't shown.

About 5 minutes after their penalty miss, Waterford intercepted a ball across the middle of the pitch, broke down the right in a 2 on 1, and crossed it to Duffus who was all alone in the centre, in acres of space. He controlled it, then slipped on the wet surface.

A near-certain goal, a much better chance than some of those that they showed. You have to wonder about how they select highlights.

And not to mention who ever was reporting, and his pronunciation of A-KIN-ade. These lads are working on the programme every week, and yet don't even know the name of one of the more well-known players.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123