Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's right with the league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts

What's right with the league?

Dundalk and Cork City are the league's finest silver anyways and fantastic ambassadors for the league.

Is there any club diligently going about their business in the First Division away from the limelight?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Biased of course, but UCD are in good shape. Continuing to produce talent for the league, play good football and on the verge of returning to the Premier Divison. All with minimal fuss.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Biased of course, but UCD are in good shape. Continuing to produce talent for the league, play good football and on the verge of returning to the Premier Divison. All with minimal fuss.
    yeah I think it was Stephen McGuinness when interviewed that sang UCDs praises..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    In the premier division, I like the way Bohs are putting together sides that play good football on a shoestring budget.

In the first division, I have been impressed by Drogheda. They have a nice squad of players , and on a sustainable budget. They always seem struggle when promoted though. That step up is beyond them as they end up competing for the same players as a number of other clubs and their wage bill goes up dramatically.

UCD, of course, are a beacon of light. Saving young kids from the slave trade by giving them an education, both academic and football.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

UCD, of course, are a beacon of light. Saving young kids from the slave trade by giving them an education, both academic and football.
    Indeed. We're a core component of Dundalk's infrastructure.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    A genuine question.

UCD seem to have most things set up well - apart from a lack of support.

Do you think this will ever change ? Is there hope that more students at the university can be attracted to support the club ? Or locals ? Or is UCD condemned to remaining one of the worst supported clubs in the land ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    A genuine question.

UCD seem to have most things set up well - apart from a lack of support.

Do you think this will ever change ? Is there hope that more students at the university can be attracted to support the club ? Or locals ? Or is UCD condemned to remaining one of the worst supported clubs in the land ?
    UCD are fine for what they do, but I can't see ththe m ever progressing any further. They will continue to be a feeder club who will develop players for the bigger clubs to swoop for. It probably sounds mean , but I'm happier when they aren't in the Premier Division. (Not to say they won't deserve credit if they do go up. If so called bigger clubs can't outperform them on the field then that's their issue, not UCDs. )
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    In the premier division, I like the way Bohs are putting together sides that play good football on a shoestring budget.

In the first division, I have been impressed by Drogheda. They have a nice squad of players , and on a sustainable budget. They always seem struggle when promoted though. That step up is beyond them as they end up competing for the same players as a number of other clubs and their wage bill goes up dramatically.

Agree about, they are setting a great example for others on a shoestring budget.

Should Drogheda be going after those players that are driving up their wage bill dramatically? Are Bohemians targeting the same players?

If UCD are destined to be a feeder club, if they are good enough to earn their place back in the Premier, they naturally will be fully deserving of being there regardless of their support.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    UCD are fine for what they do, but I can't see ththe m ever progressing any further. They will continue to be a feeder club who will develop players for the bigger clubs to swoop for. It probably sounds mean , but I'm happier when they aren't in the Premier Division. (Not to say they won't deserve credit if they do go up. If so called bigger clubs can't outperform them on the field then that's their issue, not UCDs. )
    The small support isn't great optics but we'll never draw bad publicity for the league whilst in the Premier in the way Bray have done 2 years running or Limerick have done this season.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    The small support isn't great optics but we'll never draw bad publicity for the league whilst in the Premier in the way Bray have done 2 years running or Limerick have done this season.

is there not a way for Bray and UCD to somehow amalgamate?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    although in fairness Cabinteely is closer to Bray...so maybe all 3? How successful is the Cabo project going? they have a 5 year strategic plan for a new stadium so they are hoping to stay in LOI.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky12345678 View Post
    although in fairness Cabinteely is closer to Bray...so maybe all 3? How successful is the Cabo project going? they have a 5 year strategic plan for a new stadium so they are hoping to stay in LOI.
    Ahhh yes. League of Ireland clubs and stadium plans...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    is there not a way for Bray and UCD to somehow amalgamate?
    None at all. Bray are in Bray, and UCD are in UCD.

What do Bray have that UCD would want anyway? (No offence to Bray fans - but they appear to have no money, low support, no committee and even few enough volunteers at this stage)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    although in fairness Cabinteely is closer to Bray...so maybe all 3?
    I don't see why UCD would wanna join either of them?

What would UCD gain? UCD already have far superior facilities to both and a thriving underage system by all accounts. Bray and Cabo have no money, very little fanbase, and in the case of Bray a very tarnished reputation.

You could argue that since UCD joined the league they've been the most stable club in it. Almost everyone else has been a basket case at one stage. It's probably in UCDs best interest to stay well away from any other LOI club.

It's a terrible shame that UCD don't garner greater support actually. Last year I visited Murcia in the south of Spain and went to see a 3rd/4th division match between UCAM (Murcia university) and Cartagena. There was about 4k at it, in a lovely little ground in the city centre. The fact that they're a Uni didn't seem to detract anyone at all. And the standard wasn't great. I'd say any of the top Irish teams would have beaten both teams.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    where is Cabinteelys new ground going to be by the way? Is it more local?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Talk was of a development in kilbogget park in cabinteely "ish" with a running track around it in astro that the local rugger team plus astletics team could use.

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    None at all. Bray are in Bray, and UCD are in UCD.
    "They'll be dancing in the streets of U-C-D tonight..."

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    I think Longford deserve huge credit this season. In terms of their social media and online game they are the most improved club in the country (still need an online shop though) and the players and management have engaged with the fans and local community a lot more. Still so much more to do but it’s been a great building block this season.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Interesting conversation with Ray Wilson on the irish football business.... https://soundcloud.com/irishtimes-bu...rss-ray-wilson

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Yes - I much prefer to see them in the First Division. Maybe if they bothered to get their programmes printed (rather than photocopied) I'd feel a little different about it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast