Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's right with the league?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    http://www.finnharps.com/fhfc/?p=6135

There's this too. Harps now have, in their academy base in Killygordon, under-12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19 and reserve squads. A player pathway developed that includes late developers who would otherwise not make the squads at 13, 15, 17 and 19 level.

The club has a 5 year lease on grounds in Crossroads, Killygordon, where there's three pitches down there for academy sides to train on. It's less than ten minutes drive from Finn Park. Academy also has separate offices in Stranorlar, beside the new ground.

Full pathway and announcement of new coaches was done the other night before the Shelbourne game.

Harps have quietly gone about things the right way and are putting a lot of focus on the youth structures at the club to develop players for the first team. This season we've had six players who played underage at Harps coming through and playing in the first team with a further six featuring in match day squads after coming through our youth structures.

Shamrock Rovers get a lot of praise for their youth academy, and rightly so, but they're not the only ones putting in the effort.
    Had no idea you had all that going on. Fair play it will pay off but will take a while.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    The locals wash their cars ( or have their cars washed )on a Sunday.

Having been there many years ago I often thought that a Thursday night with an associated social gig afterwards was the way to go .
    Not to turn this into a UCD thread, but both Sundays and Thursdays have been tried before with similar success.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    UCD joined the league of ireland in 1979 I believe. I think the only reason they got to the cup final in 1984 was they had a professional side out that day but for financial reasons they had to cut back. I dont remember that era at all so I imagine that the support base around that time was minimal.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    True on all three counts alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Harps have quietly gone about things the right way and are putting a lot of focus on the youth structures at the club to develop players for the first team. This season we've had six players who played underage at Harps coming through and playing in the first team with a further six featuring in match day squads after coming through our youth structures.

Shamrock Rovers get a lot of praise for their youth academy, and rightly so, but they're not the only ones putting in the effort.
    Thanks for that! It's great to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I hadn't actually heard abou the stuff from harps but it sounds like a good start
    If soccer in Kerry ever progresses to LoI level and they can develop youth structures as outlined by Finn Harps that aid player progression and operate within a sensible financial budget, I'd be happy with that.
    As I said already, the only hope for UCD to increase their attendances would be to play on a Sunday in my opinion.
    Would Monday Nights be a better option when students are on campus?

Students tend to arrive back late on a Sunday evening and Thursdays were a traditional heading out night before going home for the weekend.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

Students tend to arrive back late on a Sunday evening and Thursdays were a traditional heading out night before going home for the weekend.
    Nightmare for traveling teams and their part-time players.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Would Monday Nights be a better option when students are on campus?

I think he more fundamental lack of interest in, and affinity with, their LOI team would need tackling before they went dicking around with the days they played on tbh. Plus - the away teams would also have a say too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Maybe I am wrong on this, but did UCD offer a free pint of Budweiser to get students to their games for a while? The company was their shirt sponsor at the time.
    What numbers are we talking about in relation to the fanbase college have these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    They did. I don't think beer promotions are allowed on campus any more.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I'm not too sure how much UCD are integrated with the clubs/ societies and the courses these days as my college days are a fair ways behind me but has anything been tried outside of the football scholarships to get SU clubs/ societies or courses involved and integrated with the club outside of the scholarships/ LSL/ Collingwood etc teams?

Plenty of crossover there from the myriad of courses on offer, stuff like get credits towards your course, practical/ project experience on the business side, marketing, digital media, multimedia, physiotherapy, even the agri school etc. Plenty of aspects of running the club that are well suited to practical course work across the board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123