Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What could/should the FAI do for the league?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I think the bus comment was meant slightly tongue in cheek in fairness! Club buses would be remarkably inefficient compared to using bus companies

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Spoilsport.

I was waiting for a Dundalk fan to observe that if Cork City spent €500k they might get a coach that goes forward in Europe!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Spoilsport.

I was waiting for a Dundalk fan to observe that if Cork City spent €500k they might get a coach that goes forward in Europe!
    They already have team bus for Europe, they usually park it in front of their goal :P
    Mon the Town!

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    They already have team bus for Europe, they usually park it in front of their goal :P
    Well played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Spoilsport.

Alas, to quote Monty Python, I'm a chartered accountant, and consequently too boring to be of interest...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    It's fun to charter an accountant
    And sail the wide accountancy,
    To find, explore the funds offshore
    And skirt the shores of bankruptcy.
    It can be manly in insurance -
    We'll up your premium semi-annually.
    It's all tax deductible,
    We're fairly incorruptible,
    We're sailing on the wide accountancy.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    no reason why our guys could not do their psv licence along with their coaching badges.
    We want the league to be more professional in attitude, not less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Are the FAI still on track for being debt free by 2020?
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    Yes. But they meant 2020 in the Islamic calendar, not the Gregorian one.

It's currently 1437 AH for Muslims, not 2018 AD.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Big difference between 200k and 500k! - Anyway I reckon you could pick up a good quality bus 2-3 years old for around 80,000k if you bought more than one. If you had a depot of 10 buses controlled by the FAI and sent out as required each weekend. You would be talking about an initial investment of approx 1m in the league, and a rolling investment of approx 100k per year to invest in upkeep of stock,depreciation etc. Some sort of central investment in things like this would be a great start from the FAI. Considering JD's salary is 400k per year its hardly groundbreaking stuff.
    I think it's a super idea. I really do. Plus you wouldn't be buying the coaches surely, isn't that what fleet management is about? And it doesn't have to be a LOI exclusive use initiative either. The SFAI runs inter-league comps for 12s 13s 14s and 15s. I know for 3 of our games this year we had to rent coaches separately, no reason the "Pats" bus for example couldn't be used by the SDFL for their Sat/Sun games during season either.

There's the possibility also of using these buses midweek too to offset the cost. With a decent livery (I'm thinking of some of the Leinster rugby adorned buses I see around Dublin), it adds to the promotion value of the product.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I don't like this comment thrown out by a few people of "would X league have an interest in joining up?".

They shouldn't be asked. They should be told.

The FAI are the governing body of all football in Ireland. They should be setting out the rules, regulations, and running order of football across the country.

The problem is, many of the FAI directors come from these junior leagues and they've no interest in progression themselves.

It's time they took football in Ireland by the balls and enforced a proper pyramid system.
    Agree totally Nigel. If they've the balls to do it to the schoolboy clubs, then surely they'll have the balls to do it to the Intermediate clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I think it's a super idea. I really do. Plus you wouldn't be buying the coaches surely, isn't that what fleet management is about? And it doesn't have to be a LOI exclusive use initiative either. The SFAI runs inter-league comps for 12s 13s 14s and 15s. I know for 3 of our games this year we had to rent coaches separately, no reason the "Pats" bus for example couldn't be used by the SDFL for their Sat/Sun games during season either.

There's the possibility also of using these buses midweek too to offset the cost. With a decent livery (I'm thinking of some of the Leinster rugby adorned buses I see around Dublin), it adds to the promotion value of the product.
    Roscommon GAA have done this - they have a coach the same size as Bus Eireann/Citylink intercity buses. It's decked out in their colours and I passed it on the motorway a few weeks ago midweek, with a fleet of cars following with flags on show. Obviously bringing an underage team (county or club) somewhere.
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    Roscommon GAA have done this - they have a coach the same size as Bus Eireann/Citylink intercity buses. It's decked out in their colours and I passed it on the motorway a few weeks ago midweek, with a fleet of cars following with flags on show. Obviously bringing an underage team (county or club) somewhere.
    I knew I'd seen an inter-county side do it. They have the CR logo all over it I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

...and brings a whole new meaning to 'the coach driving the team on'

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    It's easy to afford a fancy bus when you don't have to pay anyone for doing anything in your organisation. I'm surprised they don't have county limousines.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    I'm a Rossie. My Dad has two Limousines. But mainly Herefords and the odd Charolais.

Clearly the source of my beef with the FAI.
    - E Tattsyrup.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

This is where a really good idea falls apart

We would demand the right to veto who else uses our bus - SFAI how are you? Biddies to bingo would be the next thing

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Only way forward is a breakaway. An independent body running the League (just like how the FA and Premier League are separate bodies in the UK) and allow that body to source a proper sponsorship deal which would increase prize money. Strike a proper TV deal to again increase prize money and any games not covered on TV allow the clubs to stream them online and make revenue off it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Strike a proper TV deal? You make it sound so easy...

The reality is the clubs need the FAI and their cash and their tie-in with a national team the networks are (for now) interested in. And the FAI need the clubs, but don't realise it yet.

A breakaway is in no-one's interest, and is not really feasible anyway

26. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast