Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2018/19

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    The league went all out putting in provisional fixtures last week, and fair play to them, but they could have made a better job of the Premier Division League Cup.

Abbeyfeale losing in the Desmond Cup should've been taken into consideration, in which case they could have provisionally put in place:
    Granagh Vs Abbeyfeale on Thursday July 11.
    Granagh/Abbeyfeale Vs Glin on Tuesday July 16.
    Final on week ending July 21.

Not rocket science.
    It looks like Abbeys exit from the Desmond cup ensured that league cup final could now be on the 20th. I’m not sure what outcome would mean that it’s on the 27th

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Mountcollins entering a team next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Fair Play to Glin... great result for them!
    The definition of a cup team who on their day are a match for anyone in the league, should be a good final!

Abbey could potentially end the season trophyless should they fail to win the League Cup!!
    Granagh maybe fancy their chances of a bit of silverware, Glin on for a potential double & should they get that far NCW Town in the final who are surely due a win over Abbey...
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YA BEAUTY! What a hit son... what a hit!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any predictions on Fridays game. It will be a good end of season for one of these teams

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good to see Mountcollins back, think the 09/10 season was their last campaign.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    AGM notices sent out today for 24th July, 2 motions to vote committee back in block

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noconnor16 View Post
    AGM notices sent out today for 24th July, 2 motions to vote committee back in block
    And one of those two clubs previously sent out a statement in support of John Delaney.
    Last edited by Shearer; 12/07/2019 at 11:26 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Scoreless at half time in cup final. Nothing between the sides. Glin a threat at set pieces. Decent crowd.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    And one of those two clubs previously sent out a statement in support of John Delaney.
    League gave clubs no notice to send in any motions. Wonder will there be resignations on the m/c.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    If you went to any of the three games on in Clounreask in the last six days you'll have got your money's worth.
    The phrase "great advertisement for Football" is thrown around every now and then, but the Desmond Cup Final this year (and every other year) never fails to disappoint. A fantastic game of football and a great crowd, a tough loss for Glin but a fantastic one for Broadford who've gotten a trophy to reward themselves for another one of those big undefeated runs they seem to go on every year.

Big win for Creeves Celtic last night beating Pallaskenry on penalties after being down 2-0 at half-time in the Hogan Cup Final. It's probably gone under the radar but they've gotten four trophies in two seasons and are on course for a treble in the League Cup Final to make it five, as well as back-to-back League and League Cup doubles.

One thing I will say that disappointed me is the lack of a programme or team sheet for the Desmond Cup Final. I've no problem with paying €10 in to it because any less would be doing it a disservice, but considering the gate they brought in it probably wouldn't cost €20 to print off a barebones programme.
    I think there's a lot of money-making opportunities missed by clubs to sell lotto tickets or golden goal tickets at the Final, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Even though there was a great crowd at the Desmond Cup Final, there's so much room for growth with even a small bit more promotion. There's been launch nights done for finals before that have been more like box-ticking exercises, but a bit of emphasis on things like that, a photoshoot that you see done outside the Woodlands every month with the gaa, so much potential. I'd consider the Hogan Cup a big deal, it's deserving of a bigger crowd than just supporters of both clubs and I think that is something that needs to be driven home.

I'm not going to go on any longer because I've gone on long enough, but what I'm saying is that this league is a good product that's worth promoting to a wider audience. I'll complain about the league on here but I'll be just as quick to praise it, because it really is worth fighting for.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Your point is well made Shearer. And I agree with so much of it.

However to suggest the printing costs would be that low? No way. Would cost a bit more for 150+ programme sheets.

Also I must note that the league has to do much more before they can do such things. For example the two youths cup finals in March didnt even have medals for the players. And also there was little on live 95 as I perhaps the PRO is away.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westernflow View Post
    Your point is well made Shearer. And I agree with so much of it.

However to suggest the printing costs would be that low? No way. Would cost a bit more for 150+ programme sheets.

Also I must note that the league has to do much more before they can do such things. For example the two youths cup finals in March didnt even have medals for the players. And also there was little on live 95 as I perhaps the PRO is away.
    With regards to the printing, €20 would do 200 black and white A4 copies for you in the library in Newcastle.
    10 cent a sheet, still a 99% mark up to €10.

And to be honest, even if the printing costed €50, or even €100, the cost of it is not the point.

It's the value and apprecation of doing it is what matters...

Obviously westernflow I'm not having a go at your point, I'm moreso adding to the previous posters point, and you're dead right about the radio, West Limerick radio could surely be there. Or Facebook live, or anything really...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ok. Well in fairness the league did have a stream of the div 1 cup final. So something advanced has been done. I wonder could they have double headers when there is cup finals.. and have some sort of food etc available and make it appealing.. I wonder what is done around the country. They should target neutrals and let the clubs push it themselves

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    A major effort for the Desmond cup final should be made by the committee. Get a good programme. Have company’s place ads in it for a few Bob. Interview with both managers and captains. A page on the history of both teams and a team sheet page. Not that hard to do in fairness.
    Last year there was a launch night I believe for the hogan cup and Reidy cup final, were they scrapped this season

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any word on the agm?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    AGM 24th confirmed. Heard Gary Enright Desmond player of the year. Great achievement for him and has been fantastic over d last 3 years

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Reidy Cup had a launch this year. Shountrade and AK.

When will next season be pencilled in for? This season runs until end of July, I cant envisage a start to next season in only 4 weeks.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I’ve heard it will be end September before next season starts, however that depends on outcome of DL committee/ referee talks

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    A good two nights in Clounreask.
    Creeves Celtic deserving League Cup winners to complete a treble, while Newcastle West Town had a super win tonight in the Premier League Cup Final and could've won by more. Fair going to beat Rathkeale and Abbeyfeale on the way.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Did Abbey finish the season trophyless??

End of September...where you hear that last man back?? are these discussions between the relevant parties likely to be soon???

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast