Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2018/19

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    This is a bit long winded but here we go,

Population is a lot of it, take the generation of adults who would now be 27-32 years old, wind the clock back to 2009-2012 when the recession was at it's worst, those people would have been around 18-23 at that time.
    Just finished school/college/apprenticeship or whatever, where did they all go?
    Abroad

Many never came back, so now you go to watch most of the premier league games and teams are backboned by a half dozen or more 30+ year olds and a lot of under 25/26 lads.
    That's a common enough thread around the league based on my observation.

That's not a big deal in terms of fielding a team but if you're trying to field 2 it's a problem, off the top of my head I can think of Carrig, Ballingarry, St.Itas, Pallaskenry, Askeaton, Killeaney, Glantine, Feenagh who all had B teams in the past 10 years but since the recession this has slowly died. Not the club's fault really, if numbers aren't there they aren't there.

Count in the Old Mill and Kilcolman who were premier and first division sides at one time, possibly at the same time even but I'm open to correction.

To be honest I think the old standard dropping thing is a little overblown. I respect all opinions to the contrary but in fairness I see the Desmond League's top teams getting about as far as they ever did in FAI and Munster Junior 20 years ago.
    With the exception of the old NCW AFC teams in the mid 2000s I don't remember any Desmond League teams in recent history doing any better than the current groups. Obviously I'm open to correction, but one good year in 10 isn't really a good sample size, we're talking about showing consistently better or worse results to make an argument.

Maybe the bottom 5 of the premier is a little weaker than it used to be, I actually think that the bottom of the premier is like a strong first division standard if I'm honest.

But you're in rural West Limerick and talking about small villages in the main during a time when employment is mainly in towns and cities, I don't know what people expect from a Carrig or Granagh when their population wouldn't be massive and they are in staunch GAA areas also, of course they are not going to be able to compete every Sunday over an 18 game season. Add to it the best players will always want to group together to give themselves the best chance to win, meaning that a top side have 12-14 premier quality players whereas others have 8-9 and if they're both missing 2-3 it hurts the weaker team much more.

But, they can conceivably win a Desmond Cup like Glin did, and that's the aim if you're not in the top 5. Nothing at all wrong with it.

It's the exact same reason why the top Desmond League teams would struggle in the city because the top city teams have a squad of 17-18 top quality players so if there's a county final on it doesn't hurt them like it would hurt even the top Desmond League team.

Any one of the top 3-4 in the Desmond could match the city teams on a given day, but over a 18-22 game season it's a different story. Little fish < Big fish < Bigger fish.

I think there's great credit due to rural club's given the circumstances, I'm gone from the local scene a while now but I remember the struggle. It's a lot easier in a big club or at inter league level when you're dealing with a bunch of people that probably don't play much else and are keen.

I 100% that the standard outside the premier in particular has dropped but then again clubs have just gotten weaker and that's it, I don't see what can be done about this really.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions....
    Great post, and sound for taking the time to write it out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Glin Rovers 2 Kildimo Utd 1

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Good post Cruyff. Disappointing scorelines around the leagues this weekend. Ballingarry beaten 6-0 at home, KB hit for 7, Rockhill winning 8-0 and a youths game finishing 13-0. Anyone know why Breska v AK was abandoned?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I didn’t realise that Abbey had gone 6 clear in the premier at the halfway point. That’s a considerable advantage at this stage of the season. They will win it with relative ease it looks like now

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Wouldn’t agree with that , Rathkeale and Broadford have games in hand so it’s all to play for amongst the top 3 teams . Hard to credit how poor some of the other teams are in what’s called a premier league .

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Hearsay doesn't cut the ice round here lads because it's impossible to know what was said out on the pitch,one person says it was this and another person says the exact opposite was said.The refs report will guide the League on where this goes if it goes anywhere.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair enough and glad to see comments removed , including my own. However, I'd have my concerns about what officials can say in reports and get away with.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You do know Rathkeale will go joint top and Broadford only a point behind if they win the two games in hand?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    VEC FC 4-0 Glin Rovers.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Anyone in ballingarry today? Massive slip up for broadford.. another loss for killeaney/ballyhahill, what's going on there?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I heard there was 5 red cards in the Ballingarry/ Broadford game.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by last man back View Post
    I heard there was 5 red cards in the Ballingarry/ Broadford game.
    Any more details on this?

Kilcornan first loss of the season, they also finished with 10.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Wasn't at the Ballingarry-Broadford game but heard Broadford were very poor & won't challenge for any league going on that result. lad who was at it said Broadford were lucky to get the draw in the end. Sending offs were all well deserved by all accounts but ref poor also & lost control of game completely in last 15 mins.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Twas Ballysteen finished with ten men vs Kilcornan lad. Good game. Could have went either way. Kilcornan should last the pace and get premier. Good young players and a few experienced heads there too

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Big day Sunday.
    An Abbeyfeale win would put them six points clear with a game more played than Rathkeale and Broadford.
    A stalemate in the aforementioned and a Broadford win in Kildimo keeps things a bit more open while thrusting Broadford further into title contention.

Big couple of weeks for Abbeyfeale. This game Sunday, Carrick United the following Sunday and St Michael's a fortnight later.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Updated Munster Junior Cup draw is out.

Abbeyfeale/Carrick United Vs Broadford/Fenit Samphires in the fifth round.

Winner of that is at home to whoever comes out of Pike Rovers/City Wanderers Vs Waterford Hibs/Borroway Rovers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Good result for rathkeale beating abbeyfeale 2-1 this morning. Abbey under pressure now with rathkeale level on points and a game in hand. And broadford winning also beating kildimo 2-1. Granagh beat carrig 6-1. Glin beating KB 3-1. Newcastle beating Ballingarry 3-0

Rathkeale B got an awful beating 8-0 at home to AK

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Did Abbey play 85 mins with 10 men? Heard a very harsh sending off from one or two that were there..great 3 points for ratkeale..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Huge win for Rathkeale this morning that blows the title race wide open with Broadford winning too.

Abbeyfeale having a man sent off early on probably didn't make it as good of a contest as it could've been but Rathkeale were fully deserving of the win and could've scored more having missed a penalty in the first half and having the most of the credible chances.
    Billy Quirke had some wonderful saves including a penalty. Rathkeale scored two super goals 5 minutes into the second half, the first of which was very much against the run of play (the second I can't recall).

Keith Hartnett, Jack Hennessy and Pa Ahern were superb for Rathkeale and Abbey could not cope with Hennessy constantly chasing down through balls from Hartnett down the wing.

It's kind of hard to pinpoint how much of Abbeyfeale's deficiencies today were caused by that red, they struggled to carve chances of real merit and if it weren't for the goalmouth scramble that led to the goal I'm not sure if they would have scored at all.

Even though it's only their first loss of the season, it is a huge blow. They've 9 games left, including both Rathkeale and Broadford away from home, and can't really afford to slip up.

All in all, it was a good result for the league. Let the games begin.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Huge win for Rathkeale this morning that blows the title race wide open with Broadford winning too.

Abbeyfeale having a man sent off early on probably didn't make it as good of a contest as it could've been but Rathkeale were fully deserving of the win and could've scored more having missed a penalty in the first half and having the most of the credible chances.
    Billy Quirke had some wonderful saves including a penalty. Rathkeale scored two super goals 5 minutes into the second half, the first of which was very much against the run of play (the second I can't recall).

Keith Hartnett, Jack Hennessy and Pa Ahern were superb for Rathkeale and Abbey could not cope with Hennessy constantly chasing down through balls from Hartnett down the wing.

It's kind of hard to pinpoint how much of Abbeyfeale's deficiencies today were caused by that red, they struggled to carve chances of real merit and if it weren't for the goalmouth scramble that led to the goal I'm not sure if they would have scored at all.

Even though it's only their first loss of the season, it is a huge blow. They've 9 games left, including both Rathkeale and Broadford away from home, and can't really afford to slip up.

All in all, it was a good result for the league. Let the games begin.
    Not good preparation for Abbey losing to a depleted Rathkeale side ahead of two big Munster weekends. Rathkeale could be 6 points clear before Abbey play a league game again

Page 13 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast