Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2018/19

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Agree. Youths league going downhill a few years now, won’t change unless a different approach is taken. Maybe run league off quicker, Friday night games for 1st 6 weeks of season make use of floodlight grounds when evenings get darker. Saturday afternoons a lot of that age group are working. League needs to get clubs together and come up with fresh ideas, I’m not saying above suggestions will fix it but something needs to change.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by last man back View Post
    Agree. Youths league going downhill a few years now, won’t change unless a different approach is taken. Maybe run league off quicker, Friday night games for 1st 6 weeks of season make use of floodlight grounds when evenings get darker. Saturday afternoons a lot of that age group are working. League needs to get clubs together and come up with fresh ideas, I’m not saying above suggestions will fix it but something needs to change.
    These ideas are the kind of thing we need, I've often suggested either playing on a Saturday evening in fine weather. Or maybe have a reduced numbers Astro league, all that matters is that they stay playing the game until junior, who cares if it's 11 a side or 7 a side as long as you have players coming through. No rule there against it

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sorry to nit pick but there isn't exactly a load of astro pitches in the league. I would ask is the 2.30pm KO really needed? Especially now that underage hasn't been on all winter. I assume 11 or 12 on a Saturday would appeal to more players and eve coaches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westernflow View Post
    Sorry to nit pick but there isn't exactly a load of astro pitches in the league. I would ask is the 2.30pm KO really needed? Especially now that underage hasn't been on all winter. I assume 11 or 12 on a Saturday would appeal to more players and eve coaches.
    Could resort to Futsal, there's umpteen amounts of basketball courts and parish halls.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Pretty sure 2:30 would suit most youth players. The point made earlier about them working has to be a joke surely? They are either in 5th or 6th year studying for the leaving cert so would have no time? Besides there are plenty of youths players who train with limerick minor hurling or football which is usually around 11-12pm slot so in that case a lot of teams would have to give walkovers.
    What was the point in ferry playing ballingarry to get hockeyed considering they lost 13-0 nil to a team in their own division. Strange one with mountcollins considering they played the u17 cup final with Broadford last year.
    2:30 imo is ideal for the youth players especially those with gaa commitments

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You've obviously never coached a youths team robotwarsfan

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The two walkovers were from sides in Division 2 who had to travel to two of the best youth sides in Limerick at the moment.
    Ballingarry in the last 16 of FAI and Broadford in the QTR final of Munster Youth. Obviously you never want to see walkovers and you should play a match regardless of who the opposition is but these are 16/17 year olds who prob just didn’t want in Ferry’s point view travel 40 mins to concede a lot of goal considering someone in their own division put double figures past them.

In regards to time changes, I think it doesn’t really matter because county teams train in the morning meaning you would lose those boys and youngfellas that work will miss a 12 game the same as they would miss a 2:30 game.

Best of luck to Ballingarry this weekend in last 16 of FAI. Tough task to get past Mervue. Great to see Ballingarry and broadford progressing far in FAI and Munster youth and representing the league.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Smaller parishs are coming under a lot of pressure with depopulation and smaller family's. GAA clubs are also joining up for minor teams.
    In the towns of West Limerick there are some very large extended family's but unfortunately they wont represent their town or do anything positive for their community/Sports clubs .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Fair play to both Broadford and Ballingarry for flying the flag so well in those comps. I understand the hammerings that were likely but what sort of precedent are managers/clubs setting by throwing in the towel? Players wont have enough games played and will likely fall away completely from the game. to the best of my knowledge the minor footballers for limerick aren't back and there wouldn't be too many desmond league players on Limerick hurling panels. The 2.30pm KO has to be a put off but i accept that a better time isn't easy find. i reckon that despite the GAA that this age group will benefit with the FAI enforce summer soccer. If they can find a tuesday eve or something for the games that avoids gaa then hopefully we'll see an improvement.

As for clubs joining, of course in soccer this doesnt formally happen but are players not just moving around to the nearest club? Adare last with ballingarry, kildimo with breska, glantine etc with abbey?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    another walkover in the youths on Saturday with mountcollins not being able to field a team at home, such a shame in what seemed like a very competitive league

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    3-0 victory for Carrick V Broadford yesterday. Anyone hear anything from the game?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Hi all. New to posting on the thread but have been following for a long. I’m involved with a club in the League. How do the League justify only posting Sunday’s game on the Tuesday? No wonder there is walkovers. Other sports for example GAA have their games up until August mapped out.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
    Hi all. New to posting on the thread but have been following for a long. I’m involved with a club in the League. How do the League justify only posting Sunday’s game on the Tuesday? No wonder there is walkovers. Other sports for example GAA have their games up until August mapped out.
    I'm going to write a novel on it one of the days....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    I'm going to write a novel on it one of the days....
    If it bugs you that much go to the AGM and take the job and then you can stop talking about it and there will be no need for the novel

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    To be fair to him Gaza he is right,is it not the same thing to put the fixtures out on s Sunday afternoon rather than a Tuesday morning.i used to dislike that also when playing, u could realise Tuesday u have no game which is a bit late.i kno it's not easy job but now it should be no prob with all teams out of outside competitions..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    The fixtures should be out 2 or 3 weeks in advanced like the city league. Finding out on a Tuesday or Wednesday if you have a game or not is a joke.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    The fixtures should be out 2 or 3 weeks in advanced like the city league. Finding out on a Tuesday or Wednesday if you have a game or not is a joke.
    Same thing, Shur why won’t u go to the AGM and take the job. I think that’s a fair question since ye are criticising the current system, or is it that ye couldn’t b bothered

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Take it to PM lads,not worth the rest of us seeing a tittle tattle or failing that do the grown up thing and ignore each other.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Munster youths cup qf ft: Charleville 1 broadford 2. Injury time winner by Colm ryan. James Molyneaux had put broadford 1-0 up in the 32nd min and Charleville equalized in the 73rd min.

Great for Broadford to be into the final four of this competition. Fantastic for a great club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    After all the previous discussions on the problems with youths football in the area its great to see this tonight. Away to Killorglin or Villa FC in semi.

Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast