Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2018/19

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Rugby will be the big winner at schoolboy level in the coming years . Next week is seeing the first clashes with a lot of midweek soccer games up against GAA . It might be manageable to play 2 sports if the clubs work together but those who play soccer , football and hurling are only going to get injuries and could do long term damage . Not sure where 3 codes are fairly strong , rathkeale , broadford , kildimo , Adare perhaps .
    Newcastle should have enough to field soccer only players .
    Here in Mayo it would be soccer and football, in my own club we would have youths in boys and girls from U12 to U18's, in most cases the kids play both codes without much coperation.
    Actualy in soccer, for the first 1/2 of the season the age groups are the uneven age groups, U13, 15 , 17's while later they go the even age groups U12, 14, 16 and 18's.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Rugby will be the big winner at schoolboy level in the coming years . Next week is seeing the first clashes with a lot of midweek soccer games up against GAA . It might be manageable to play 2 sports if the clubs work together but those who play soccer , football and hurling are only going to get injuries and could do long term damage . Not sure where 3 codes are fairly strong , rathkeale , broadford , kildimo , Adare perhaps .
    Newcastle should have enough to field soccer only players .
    Rugby is a million miles off of GAA and Football with regard to number of clubs and playing numbers nationwide, even more so in West Limerick. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over it.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Anyone see Tom Clancys tweets re the Desmond league and its current state. Agree with him tbf. League is going downhill. Would summer soccer improve things? I know my own club proposed it. Without even asking us players I might add.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The league runs from late August to mid June as it is so you could say we already have summer soccer .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistinianlad View Post
    Anyone see Tom Clancys tweets re the Desmond league and its current state. Agree with him tbf. League is going downhill. Would summer soccer improve things? I know my own club proposed it. Without even asking us players I might add.
    I'm sure if you were to call down to the Rathkeale House Hotel you'd be told otherwise. I'm sure there are ̶H̶a̶n̶d̶j̶o̶b̶s̶ handshakes all round about how the League and Irish Football in general is great place and you can bet your arse JD has given a few crumbs off the table to sweeten everything even more.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Scores from the weekend?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Desmond Cup:
    Pallaskenry 2-4 Glin Rovers
    Rathkeale 1-0 Ballingarry

Div One Cup:
    Athea 1-5 AK
    Ballysteen 0-0 Breska Rovers (breska win 2-4 on pens)

Div Two
    St Itas 5-2 Rockhill

Youths:
    Breska w/o from Shannonside
    Div 2 Cup semi:
    Mountcollins 2-0 St Itas

Munster Youths Semi:
    Villa FC (Waterford) 2-2 Broadford Utd (Villa win 5-4 pens AET)

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Hard luck to Broadford yesterday. A bad way to lose a semi final on penalties.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    As above, commiserations to Broadford. Some achievement to get that far, penalties are a lottery.

Just see the draw for the Last 8 of the Desmond Cup, AK Vs Broadford is an interesting one.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Glin release statement supporting Delaney.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Could you throw up the draw Shearer

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Broadford and AK is interesting in that it will show how far AK are off the top table.

As for Glin, fair play to them, being so insecure that they felt the need to attack the Dublin Media. Delaney has hos claws in the grassroots and they are not for moving.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotouch View Post
    Could you throw up the draw Shearer
    AK United Vs Broadford United
    Abbeyfeale United Vs Newcastle West Town
    Carrig Celtic Vs Rathkeale
    Glin Rovers Vs Askeaton

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    AK United Vs Broadford United
    Abbeyfeale United Vs Newcastle West Town
    Carrig Celtic Vs Rathkeale
    Glin Rovers Vs Askeaton
    Well easy to say who’s going to be in semi’s!
    Broadford
    Abbey
    Rathkeale
    Glin

Shane Stack of Rovers gone to Janesboro and Noel callanan also not playing with NCW Town either I heard?. You would think there would be a buzz around Newcastle West after the amalgamation but obviously not. Mid table and some good players leaving. Pity I was hoping they’d challenge the big two at the top.

No Abbey fixtures for the 3rd week in a row. Ref’s refusing to go back without two assistants.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic View Post
    Shane Stack of Rovers gone to Janesboro and Noel callanan also not playing with NCW Town either I heard?. You would think there would be a buzz around Newcastle West after the amalgamation but obviously not. Mid table and some good players leaving. Pity I was hoping they’d challenge the big two at the top.
    That happened months ago. Stack by all accounts playing well, will be in an Oscar Traynor final shortly.
    I'd say a lot of the reason they departed is due to the club being neither here nor there - Can't win the league, can't get promoted, an outside chance of winning a cup. And so, when you've the chance of going to one of the biggest clubs in Limerick it's hard to say no.

Their mid-table position is a bit self-inflicted. Used to happen with Rovers before where they'd peter out for the remainder of the season when it was clear they couldn't get relegated and couldn't win the title. They're not the only club guilty of it, but I guess you'd like to see a bit more ambition.

The players are there for definite, a lot of that squad barely missed out on a Desmond Cup Final last year and would have had the beatings of Abbeyfeale in the final.
    There's a lot of local lads playing away from home, and If they could get a hold of Marty Madden, AJ O'Connor and maybe even Gary Shanahan who is not playing at the moment they'd have a top squad. Hopefully they can get a real title charge on next year.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya heard about the abbeyfeale and referee saga, it's a big mess for league and according to a ref and a league member it's likely to drag on as refs are digging there heels in..first of all let me say I do not in any way agree with a official being attacked or abused..if stories are true about a youths team player and referee I can not understand what it has to do with abbeyfeale junior teams especially there A team.. the whole league will suffer as last 4 game have to be played together.. I only heard yesterday who the referee was that was involved, it's not first or 2nd time this ref has being involved in incidents and I think everyone agrees he is not a top ref(I'm being kind there).. the league need to sort this out asap. Ratkeale will be loving this as they go further and further ahead and are now clear favourites to win league.. They should have another definite 3 points Sunday..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Refs ability is irrelevant. If the runours are true it’s an absolute disgrace and I’m surprised it’s not getting more attention.

I saw a match recently, days after this incident, where the ref ran off the pitch at the final whistle as if he just wanted to get out of there in case of trouble. They have a near impossible job and incidents like this one being reported are no help to anyone.

Could the club be proactive, get the people involved and punish them, throw them out of their club, set an example that this behaviors is unacceptable. Might help the club and league resolve the matter more quickly.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by southern kid View Post
    Ya heard about the abbeyfeale and referee saga, it's a big mess for league and according to a ref and a league member it's likely to drag on as refs are digging there heels in..first of all let me say I do not in any way agree with a official being attacked or abused..if stories are true about a youths team player and referee I can not understand what it has to do with abbeyfeale junior teams especially there A team.. the whole league will suffer as last 4 game have to be played together.. I only heard yesterday who the referee was that was involved, it's not first or 2nd time this ref has being involved in incidents and I think everyone agrees he is not a top ref(I'm being kind there).. the league need to sort this out asap. Ratkeale will be loving this as they go further and further ahead and are now clear favourites to win league.. They should have another definite 3 points Sunday..
    If the youths fellas that did it have not owned up then maybe they could be playing with junior teams and the refs would not know them so probably right not to take any chances, the fact that you mention the ref not being a top class ref should have nothing what so ever to do with it, Everybody has an opinion about whether a ref is top class or useless but everybody does not then go out and punch them just because they think they were wrong, Maybe its the club that need to take the responsibility for this if they want to get their teams playing again but I suppose that might not be what they want to hear.
    If the club members and committee and especially the idiots that caused the problem in the first place have not got the guts to tell the league who did it in the youths game then good luck to Rathkeale and all the other teams, its not their fault that one club are not gettin games
    Saw an ad in the schoolboys section of the observer saying that there is a refs course in limerick next weekend, I wonder how many fellas from out around Abbeyfeale or anywhere else in the desmond league are doing that training. my bet is on 0.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fair play to the refs for digging their heels in, we all have disagreements with them but at the end of the game we shake their hand & move on to the next game.. it doesn't matter whether or not a ref is perceived as being a top ref or not he/she doesn't deserve to be punched or spat on by anyone, to even suggest that it is somehow his fault cause he is not perceived as a "top ref" & not his first time involved in incidents shows the lack of intelligence that is out there at the moment & you should retract that comment Southern Kid.. I hope the perpetrators are found out & are dealt with the fullest punishments available & it is brought up by both local & national media to ensure it is not brushed under the carpet. its not Rathkeale or anyone elses fault what happened & the problem lies with Abbeyfeale & their players to sort out & hopefully they will nominate a few club members to go on a refs course & see how hard the job is.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya agree about your comment about referee course, def need more and that would allow fixture sec to leave the poorer ones at home as at present his hands are tied. It's only all 2nd hand info but apparently the club identified the players involved and league have dealt with it with suspensions and fines.. my point about the ref in question not being the best was maybe it's blown out of proportion, I know for 100% from a previous report from an incident the whole truth was not told by same ref to league, and again I'm not condoning what happened that time either, like ballotelli said' why always me' comes to mind..

Page 19 of 43 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast