4 Posts
    Topical with the recent discussion - underage revolt against summer soccer

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38060158.html

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Interesting article . If the Dublin leagues can’t make it work why are the Desmond league going to be different .
    Perhaps in mayo where there appears to be only 2 sports ie Soccer and Gaelic you have a chance but Cork , Galway , Dublin where you have 3 if not 4 codes been played at a high level you really are splitting the player pool very thinly sometimes getting the best athletes in a parish but more often losing them altogether . Of the top ten sportsmen in your parish how many will play soccer first ??
    Last edited by Abbeyman; 29/04/2019 at 1:07 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    Topical with the recent discussion - underage revolt against summer soccer

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38060158.html
    Yes it would seem that all soccer being played during the summer dead, but i would tell any league's who aare in favour of SS

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Interesting article . If the Dublin leagues can’t make it work why are the Desmond league going to be different .
    Perhaps in mayo where there appears to be only 2 sports ie Soccer and Gaelic you have a chance but Cork , Galway , Dublin where you have 3 if not 4 codes been played at a high level you really are splitting the player pool very thinly sometimes getting the best athletes in a parish but more often losing them altogether . Of the top ten sportsmen in your parish how many will play soccer first ??
    You really don't like the idea of summer football it appears.
    I'd rather have a small pool of football first people than a squad that will leave you for dead at the throw-in of a sliothar.
    Football in Ireland needs to stop running from the gah.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Bang on Shearer.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shearer View Post
    you really don't like the idea of summer football it appears.
    I'd rather have a small pool of football first people than a squad that will leave you for dead at the throw-in of a sliothar.
    Football in ireland needs to stop running from the gah.
    exactly!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    You really don't like the idea of summer football it appears.
    Football in Ireland needs to stop running from the gah.
    We heard the same arguments here in Mayo when i think waass the first league to start playing SS, it was the best thing that we did but u also have to have the right at the top of the league management, that insists that every club has

proper pitch
    dressing rooms for the 2 teams and referees
    a fence for a perimeter around the 4 sides

Remember going to matches, the pitch was a farmers field that the club would get the use of, normally in ne corner a saamall fella would not be seen taking a corner. U togged in and out in the car.
    One of the downsides would be back in the winter socer days u would go back to their pub after the match and u would get sanswiches afterards, now some of it would go to the ddrink driving these days, but these days no one goes back,

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    League looking for clubs to bail them out it looks like, general meeting called for next Wednesday in the Rathkeale House to "work out the Abbeyfeale / referees situation"
    Assumably they got nowhere at their own committee meeting

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    League looking for clubs to bail them out it looks like,
    That’s the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen. You would swear that the league is responsible for this. You might enlighten us as to what exactly they could and should have done

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza29 View Post
    That’s the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen. You would swear that the league is responsible for this. You might enlighten us as to what exactly they could and should have done
    Just make a decision, one way or the other.
    Anything to get the league going ahead again.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they throw it open to the floor for suggestions...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Just make a decision, one way or the other.
    Anything to get the league going ahead again.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they throw it open to the floor for suggestions...
    This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with any other club.
    Why else would the league be bringing every club into it unless they were looking for help.

If anyone else has a different interpretation I'm all ears....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What do you propose they do?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    I don't see the ridiculousness of it. Calling a general meeting about the Abbeyfeale issue and having it open to every club reads exactly like the league haven't a clue, haven't any good ideas and are hoping someone will sort it for them.
    I don't think it's the type of issue that should be opened to the floor, a decision just needs to be made and stuck with.

Between Saturday May 4 and Friday May 10 there are five Abbeyfeale fixtures to be confirmed and that's without mentioning Abbeyfeale A's Desmond Cup Quarter Final, the playing of the semi final (whether they be in it or not), the Premier Division League Cup Quarter final and probably more.

So for the league to, in a sense, throw their hat at it and ask can somebody else fix it is a bit pathetic

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would say they’re calling the meeting to let everyone know what their plan is. As long as they get everyone’s season back on track and have a plan clubs can work off for the remaining few weeks, it would be good. At this stage whatever needs to happen to get the season wrapped up needs to be done, it’s been dragging on far too long.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
    I would say they’re calling the meeting to let everyone know what their plan is. As long as they get everyone’s season back on track and have a plan clubs can work off for the remaining few weeks, it would be good. At this stage whatever needs to happen to get the season wrapped up needs to be done, it’s been dragging on far too long.
    I initially thought the same thing, but when you read the wording it doesn't necessarily suggest that there's a plan in place at this time.
    "work out the Abbeyfeale / referees situation"
    This wording suggests there's still plenty to "work out."

I hope you're right though and they've a decision made and it's sorted or at least present a plan of action.

But, waiting until the middle of next week to tell us would be fairly casual given the urgency with which the rest of the league would like to see the issue dealt with and at this point moved on from...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I initially thought the same thing, but when you read the wording it doesn't necessarily suggest that there's a plan in place at this time.
    "work out the Abbeyfeale / referees situation"
    This wording suggests there's still plenty to "work out."

I hope you're right though and they've a decision made and it's sorted or at least present a plan of action.

But, waiting until the middle of next week to tell us would be fairly casual given the urgency with which the rest of the league would like to see the issue dealt with and at this point moved on from...
    The words "work out" weren't used as it turns out.
    The word "discuss" was used.

My original information was slightly off, so it is a discussion rather than a briefing.

Just wanted to correct that...

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    You'd think that they'd hold the meeting a lot sooner than that, like tonight or tomorrow night. You'd have to assume also that none of those games involving Abbey over the weekend will take place.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    You'd think that they'd hold the meeting a lot sooner than that, like tonight or tomorrow night. You'd have to assume also that none of those games involving Abbey over the weekend will take place.
    My thoughts exactly

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My information is that refs only meeting tonight to vote on their official course of action. League won’t know outcome of that officially until Friday. Bank holiday weekend so earliest meeting date was probably Tuesday but Liverpool playing so Wednesday seems perfect. It’s also my understanding that over the past 2 weeks the FAI and Referees association have told the refs that the punishment for the 2 individuals is acceptable and to go back reffing, however a few of our refereeing heroes see this situation at a glorious opportunity to hog the limelight and hold up the full league. Now, what exactly can the league do in this scenario other than consult the clubs. Surely people aren’t expecting for Abbey to be expelled

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Pushing out the date of a meeting to avoid clashing with an English football team's game against a Spanish football team.
    Literally everything that's wrong with football in Ireland, Jesus wept.

Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast