Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2018/19

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    That a done deal Round Tower? What way does it work - is there no soccer from end of this season to March 2020????
    It won’t come in next season, 2021 is more likely to be the season where it comes in. There will be a mini season in 2020 Aug - Nov before it where League cups and Desmond cups will be played only!

The FAI have recently done workshops around the country explaining the benefits of summer soccer for junior. They did this before they told us it was coming in for the underage too so I expect we will get official communication over the next 12 months about juniors too and you will have to have your league in by 2021. This is their plan but you don’t never know what will happen.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic View Post
    It won’t come in next season, 2021 is more likely to be the season where it comes in. There will be a mini season in 2020 Aug - Nov before it where League cups and Desmond cups will be played only!

The FAI have recently done workshops around the country explaining the benefits of summer soccer for junior. They did this before they told us it was coming in for the underage too so I expect we will get official communication over the next 12 months about juniors too and you will have to have your league in by 2021. This is their plan but you don’t never know what will happen.
    While all that is true regarding underage, I would be confident that calendar football won't come in to effect for Junior.

The reason being is that there are currently a lot of rural clubs struggling with calendar football already. There's no way those clubs are going to vote for the same situation with their junior teams now that they've seen it with their schoolboy's.

The FAI cannot shoehorn this upon clubs and leagues, ultimately it will come down to a democratic vote league by league.

If enough clubs and leagues kick up enough of a stink then the FAI will back down.

They would have had to back down with the underage too if it came to it but the schoolboy leagues went along with it.

The fear factor of doing what you're told by headquarters is gone now...

I'm not against the idea personally, but I know enough clubs who are so my opinion makes no odds because the majority will vote against it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    That a done deal Round Tower? What way does it work - is there no soccer from end of this season to March 2020????
    It depends on the different leagues, that is how smmer soccer is done here in mayo since 95 or 96, but since the rest of Connacht plays winters occer we finsihed our domestic soccer in Sept., we had FAI JC in Nov, a Connacht Cup game Dec. We played Connacht sheild in an., Marcch and we are still playing last season as we are in the 018/019 Connacht sheild final on the 19th of May
    Last edited by Round Tower; 23/04/2019 at 5:51 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Clare league have told the FAI that they aren’t changing and FAI have to live with it or else just have 8 or 9 clubs in clare . This was all the brainchild of a bloke from the Netherlands who's since no longer in FAI .
    Might work in Netherlands where there ain’t many other sports to play . Some here are pushing it hard hoping they shut down their local GAA club but old traditions did hard in many parish’s in rural Ireland including west limerick . The soccer hurling football ( 3 sport )player at underage is already a common site in local doctors with injuries .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Clare league have told the FAI that they aren’t changing and FAI have to live with it or else just have 8 or 9 clubs in clare . This was all the brainchild of a bloke from the Netherlands who's since no longer in FAI .
    Might work in Netherlands where there ain’t many other sports to play . Some here are pushing it hard hoping they shut down their local GAA club but old traditions did hard in many parish’s in rural Ireland including west limerick . The soccer hurling football ( 3 sport )player at underage is already a common site in local doctors with injuries .
    I don't recall Ruud Dokter leaving at all. The man knows what he's on about anyway.
    Last edited by Shearer; 24/04/2019 at 9:26 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    This was all the brainchild of a bloke from the Netherlands who's since no longer in FAI
    I didn't hear of him leaving.

And I notice underage talent development being on a real high through the age groups under his direction and during his time in the role. Plenty sports in Holland too, and facilities in many of them to be admired, soccer is the number one there though, yes.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The same waas saaid in Mayo back when it was ffirsst mooted in the 90's, we might have lost 4 or 5 clubs over the years over summer soccer but we still 33 teams playinf at junior level over 4 divisions.
    Our own club have a panel of 24 players at junior level, only 1 of which would be involved at JL with the GAA, ok we would have lost 3 or 4 players to the GAA when it cam to deciding soccer or ffootball, in some cases not the players choice but the parents.
    Of the panel of 24 we have at the moment all but 2 of the players have came through our youths, at underage most young boys and girls play both GF and soccer, even a number of years ago we were in a divisional cup final aand as part of the final the 2 clubs "soccer begiging schools" was invited, at the time the Mayo senior football manager Pat olmes was there as one of the parentss.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    All of Tomorrow's games are off due to a weather warning

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Won’t be long now until Abbey games are called off this weekend again.......

Season will be played well into June! Getting serious now. The rumors are the ref reports had two players attacked him but abbey only gave the name of one and that’s where the issue is. Abbey aren’t giving a second name and refs won’t back down until the match card is taken serious? The only thing I worry is that with the obvious commotion that happened after the game could the ref be mistaken and abbey can’t just give up some teenagers name that did nothing? Not saying the ref is wrong just can’t understand why abbey wouldn’t give a second name unless there might not be one?

It’s an impossible situation for league? They don’t have names or jerseys numbers to ban from report obviously or they would have just done it already. FAI involved Since two weeks ago and still no progress.

Looks like we’ll have summer soccer this season - earlier than I predicted

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    yes sportsfanatic,I heard same story and I doubt Abbey or any club would not give a lad(thug)up if they had one to get back playing.v tough on there junior teams... according to one of there committee members they have done all they can unfortunately, unless like u say they just give them a players name,which would not be fair on any lad. A lot of lads have hols booked mid June and July so their back for gaa so a lot of clubs turning on referees now to get sorted. if fai involved and can't sort it , UEFA next..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Don’t think any clubs are turning on the referees that’s a ridiculous statement altogether. Abbey from what I have heard have not played ball from day 1 and the refs are correct to stand their ground. It’s amazing it’s got no media coverage either. Why would a ref want to go back for 50 quid with the chance of it happening again in the back of their mind. Desmond league need to put in sanctions and back their refs and quickly

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, the league need to sort this ASAP. I heard a few clubs are in the process of writing to the league to enquire about action taken, if any. To be fair the whole league is being held up and suffering over an incident that has nothing to do with them. It appears clubs will be turning on the league rather than the refs and rightly so!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Between the backlog of fixtures to be played, the Abbeyfeale situation and the unprecedented level of walkovers, it hasn't been a glorious year.
    Hopefully this situation can be sorted sooner rather than later because everyone is being effected.

Kildimo played their 15th league game on April 7 and are out of both the League Cup and Desmond Cup. Meanwhile two clubs sit on 14 games played, two on 13, three on 12, one club on 11 and one club has only played 10 games!!! That's a hell of a lot of catching up!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Between the backlog of fixtures to be played, the Abbeyfeale situation and the unprecedented level of walkovers, it hasn't been a glorious year.
    Hopefully this situation can be sorted sooner rather than later because everyone is being effected.

Kildimo played their 15th league game on April 7 and are out of both the League Cup and Desmond Cup. Meanwhile two clubs sit on 14 games played, two on 13, three on 12, one club on 11 and one club has only played 10 games!!! That's a hell of a lot of catching up!
    Glin are on the team on 10 and in both cups!! They at least have 10 games left!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If they can’t get the exact names they should just take a wider punishment on the club. Expulsion from the competition or a hefty points deduction should be applied. That’s the only way to deter this type of thing.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Abbeyfeale games off tomorrow

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    if Abbey game is off , does that mean semifinals will not go ahead following wk or will it be ncw v glin??

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Heard there is a DL meeting tomorrow night to finalise this issue finally. Hope they can think of the other clubs involved here and try restore their season.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    What a joke. Do people think that the bulk of the other clubs would get away with this? Kildimo docked points for a lesser incident and Abbeyfeale holding up the premier division, youths and multiple opponents. Farce .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westernflow View Post
    What a joke. Do people think that the bulk of the other clubs would get away with this? Kildimo docked points for a lesser incident and Abbeyfeale holding up the premier division, youths and multiple opponents. Farce .
    That's a great point westernflow, I've been waiting for someone to say it.

You often see the same when one of the big clubs are struggling in the premier they miraculously get a couple of free Sundays together to get their house in order.
    I've seen it 2 or 3 times in recent years when a big club is down at the bottom they'll get a helping hand.

This is clearly something that the league have to take a hold of, they just have to make a decision or else they're setting a precedent.

This long, drawn out episode cannot be allowed to happen again, incidents will happen in all sport but the people running the game have to act as swiftly and fairly as they can to respect the integrity of the competition and of everyone involved.

A fair compromise might be a second referee acting as a "4th official" at the next 3 games or something as a probationary thing. Because this 2 linesman for the rest of the season craic will bankrupt Abbeyfeale in all fairness.

Short of that, it'll be points deductions and walkovers, but that's the nuclear option that nobody wants.

If I was Abbeyfeale, I'd pull out my Youths and B team, not saying they will but if the league can't sort this out swiftly or can't compromise, they might have to, it's just easier than having this hanging over them.

We need Abbeyfeale A in particular back in action for the good of the league as soon as possible, I feel sorry for them because this has nothing to do with them

Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast