Thanked in
    17 Posts
    The Desmond league sides have no chance

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Was at NCW v Rathkeale yesterday... NCW will feel hard done by as the goals they conceded were very soft. They could make up into decent team next year if they stick together with players still getting used to each other. Were Carrig missing players yesterday as there surely better than that beating from abbey

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Desmond18 View Post
    Was at NCW v Rathkeale yesterday... NCW will feel hard done by as the goals they conceded were very soft. They could make up into decent team next year if they stick together with players still getting used to each other. Were Carrig missing players yesterday as there surely better than that beating from abbey
    What was the final score ?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    What was the final score ?
    Abbey 6
    Carrig 0
    Carrig missing a number of players. Great preparation going into an FAI game this week

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Great win for Glin yesterday .... down 2-0 aswell !!! fair play

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Saturday, December 1st

FAI Youths Cup 3rd Round
    Ballingarry 1 Charleville 0

Youths Division 1
    Askeaton 3 Broadford Utd 2

Youths Division 2
    St Itas v Granagh Utd off
    Breska Rovers 4 Mountcollins 1

Sunday, December 2nd

FAI Junior Cup 5th Round
    Glin Rovers 3 Lakewood Athletic 3 aet, Glin won on pens
    Peake Villa 3 Carrig Celtic 0
    Gorey Rangers 2 Rathkeale 0

Premier
    Abbeyfeale Utd A 2 Broadford Utd A 0.
    Kildimo Utd 0 Killeaney/Bally A 1.

Div 1
    Ncw Town Reserves 1 Shountrade 6
    Ballysteen 3 Shannonside 2

Div 2
    Broadford Utd Reserves 1 Pallaskenry.

Hogan Cup Q/Fs
    Ncw Town B 1 Askeaton 6
    Abbeyfeale Utd B 2 Glantine 2 aet, Abbeyfeale won on pens.
    Killeaney/Bally Reserves 5 St Itas 3 aet

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Glin Rovers drawn away to VEC FC in the FAI Junior Cup 6th round.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The United Churches League has a low enough rep in Dublin, they can go there and give it a real go. I predict a month of no games locally, the skies have opened.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    You got that spot on westernflow with a full fixture list you goin ahead😂😂,, great result for broadford Abbey and killeaney.. the best two teams in league out in open draw. Best of luck to both..

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by southern kid View Post
    You got that spot on westernflow with a full fixture list you goin ahead😂😂,, great result for broadford Abbey and killeaney.. the best two teams in league out in open draw. Best of luck to both..
    uck to both..

I'd love to know, going on the past two seasons how you can call Abbey and Broadford the two best teams in the league southern kid?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In fairness I didn't see the forecast. Impressive that we've gotten this far without too many postponements. Southern kid i dunno what Lge you've been watching, Abbey and Rathkeale are the teams to beat.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya maybe I jumped da jun a small bit on my 2 teams, my opinion was based on what I saw, I watched ratkeale twice this season, last wk v kildimo and away to Abbey in fai.. not really impressive last wk and totally out played in Abbey for 90 minutes with 2 many passengers..I know they won both games but u need a level of performance to be able to get good run going..I seen Abbey v glin in glin and very impressed at the time, had good bench also that day and seen them v broadford who they beat 2 nil after excellent first half but broadford were v impressive in 2nd half and unlucky not to score..I seen in paper yesterday broadford v ratkeale Sunday so this will tell a lot.. hopefully good game of ball..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westernflow View Post
    In fairness I didn't see the forecast. Impressive that we've gotten this far without too many postponements.
    Blanket call of tomorrow but that aside I fully agree with you, we've had fantastic luck weather-wise.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I really wish they'd stop with these blanket calls... majority of fields playable last Sunday despite the rain & then for Sunday to turn out one of the nicest days of the year we had !!! I think referees could do pitch inspection on mornings of games & make a call then.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Munster Junior Cup 4th round ties confirmed.
    Broadford United Vs Fenit Samphires.
    Abbeyfeale United Vs Carrick United.

No reason why Broadford can't progress.
    Abbey's tie should be a cracker, Carrick the biggest club in Waterford. Have won the Munster Junior three times with the most recent in 14/15 as well as an FAI.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya agree broadford to go through handy enough.. home advantage could help Abbey get through, will be good game between two decent teams over last couple of seasons..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Might have gone under the radar seeing as the Football section of the Observer was quite short but Ballingarry B have pulled out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Rathkeale are the only club with a reasonable B team at this stage excluding NCW which is 2 clubs after joining together .
    Ballingarry A team are struggling as well , ballingarry to their credit always fielded top teams and would be one of the most organised clubs in the league , not sure what’s going on in West Limerick generally but outside of the top 4 or 5 teams in the premier league the standard has never been lower .
    Hard to know why ? other sports , laziness , playstations , obesity , drugs , emigration or a combination of all of these .

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbeyman View Post
    Rathkeale are the only club with a reasonable B team at this stage excluding NCW which is 2 clubs after joining together .
    Ballingarry A team are struggling as well , ballingarry to their credit always fielded top teams and would be one of the most organised clubs in the league , not sure what’s going on in West Limerick generally but outside of the top 4 or 5 teams in the premier league the standard has never been lower .
    Hard to know why ? other sports , laziness , playstations , obesity , drugs , emigration or a combination of all of these .
    This is a bit long winded but here we go,

Population is a lot of it, take the generation of adults who would now be 27-32 years old, wind the clock back to 2009-2012 when the recession was at it's worst, those people would have been around 18-23 at that time.
    Just finished school/college/apprenticeship or whatever, where did they all go?
    Abroad

Many never came back, so now you go to watch most of the premier league games and teams are backboned by a half dozen or more 30+ year olds and a lot of under 25/26 lads.
    That's a common enough thread around the league based on my observation.

That's not a big deal in terms of fielding a team but if you're trying to field 2 it's a problem, off the top of my head I can think of Carrig, Ballingarry, St.Itas, Pallaskenry, Askeaton, Killeaney, Glantine, Feenagh who all had B teams in the past 10 years but since the recession this has slowly died. Not the club's fault really, if numbers aren't there they aren't there.

Count in the Old Mill and Kilcolman who were premier and first division sides at one time, possibly at the same time even but I'm open to correction.

To be honest I think the old standard dropping thing is a little overblown. I respect all opinions to the contrary but in fairness I see the Desmond League's top teams getting about as far as they ever did in FAI and Munster Junior 20 years ago.
    With the exception of the old NCW AFC teams in the mid 2000s I don't remember any Desmond League teams in recent history doing any better than the current groups. Obviously I'm open to correction, but one good year in 10 isn't really a good sample size, we're talking about showing consistently better or worse results to make an argument.

Maybe the bottom 5 of the premier is a little weaker than it used to be, I actually think that the bottom of the premier is like a strong first division standard if I'm honest.

But you're in rural West Limerick and talking about small villages in the main during a time when employment is mainly in towns and cities, I don't know what people expect from a Carrig or Granagh when their population wouldn't be massive and they are in staunch GAA areas also, of course they are not going to be able to compete every Sunday over an 18 game season. Add to it the best players will always want to group together to give themselves the best chance to win, meaning that a top side have 12-14 premier quality players whereas others have 8-9 and if they're both missing 2-3 it hurts the weaker team much more.

But, they can conceivably win a Desmond Cup like Glin did, and that's the aim if you're not in the top 5. Nothing at all wrong with it.

It's the exact same reason why the top Desmond League teams would struggle in the city because the top city teams have a squad of 17-18 top quality players so if there's a county final on it doesn't hurt them like it would hurt even the top Desmond League team.

Any one of the top 3-4 in the Desmond could match the city teams on a given day, but over a 18-22 game season it's a different story. Little fish < Big fish < Bigger fish.

I think there's great credit due to rural club's given the circumstances, I'm gone from the local scene a while now but I remember the struggle. It's a lot easier in a big club or at inter league level when you're dealing with a bunch of people that probably don't play much else and are keen.

I 100% agree that the standard outside the premier in particular has dropped but then again clubs have just gotten weaker and that's it, I don't see what can be done about this really.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions....
    Last edited by Cruyff; 05/01/2019 at 9:05 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruyff View Post
    This is a bit long winded but here we go,

Population is a lot of it, take the generation of adults who would now be 27-32 years old, wind the clock back to 2009-2012 when the recession was at it's worst, those people would have been around 18-23 at that time.
    Just finished school/college/apprenticeship or whatever, where did they all go?
    Abroad

Many never came back, so now you go to watch most of the premier league games and teams are backboned by a half dozen or more 30+ year olds and a lot of under 25/26 lads.
    That's a common enough thread around the league based on my observation.

That's not a big deal in terms of fielding a team but if you're trying to field 2 it's a problem, off the top of my head I can think of Carrig, Ballingarry, St.Itas, Pallaskenry, Askeaton, Killeaney, Glantine, Feenagh who all had B teams in the past 10 years but since the recession this has slowly died. Not the club's fault really, if numbers aren't there they aren't there.

Count in the Old Mill and Kilcolman who were premier and first division sides at one time, possibly at the same time even but I'm open to correction.

To be honest I think the old standard dropping thing is a little overblown. I respect all opinions to the contrary but in fairness I see the Desmond League's top teams getting about as far as they ever did in FAI and Munster Junior 20 years ago.
    With the exception of the old NCW AFC teams in the mid 2000s I don't remember any Desmond League teams in recent history doing any better than the current groups. Obviously I'm open to correction, but one good year in 10 isn't really a good sample size, we're talking about showing consistently better or worse results to make an argument.

Maybe the bottom 5 of the premier is a little weaker than it used to be, I actually think that the bottom of the premier is like a strong first division standard if I'm honest.

But you're in rural West Limerick and talking about small villages in the main during a time when employment is mainly in towns and cities, I don't know what people expect from a Carrig or Granagh when their population wouldn't be massive and they are in staunch GAA areas also, of course they are not going to be able to compete every Sunday over an 18 game season. Add to it the best players will always want to group together to give themselves the best chance to win, meaning that a top side have 12-14 premier quality players whereas others have 8-9 and if they're both missing 2-3 it hurts the weaker team much more.

But, they can conceivably win a Desmond Cup like Glin did, and that's the aim if you're not in the top 5. Nothing at all wrong with it.

It's the exact same reason why the top Desmond League teams would struggle in the city because the top city teams have a squad of 17-18 top quality players so if there's a county final on it doesn't hurt them like it would hurt even the top Desmond League team.

Any one of the top 3-4 in the Desmond could match the city teams on a given day, but over a 18-22 game season it's a different story. Little fish < Big fish < Bigger fish.

I think there's great credit due to rural club's given the circumstances, I'm gone from the local scene a while now but I remember the struggle. It's a lot easier in a big club or at inter league level when you're dealing with a bunch of people that probably don't play much else and are keen.

I 100% that the standard outside the premier in particular has dropped but then again clubs have just gotten weaker and that's it, I don't see what can be done about this really.

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions....
    Great post, I agree 100%
    I think the top 3 will pull away over the course of a season as they have the bigger squads but I strongly believe that anyone in the premier apart from Kildimo, Granagh and Ballingarry would have a strong chance of getting to a Desmond cup final at a minimum. As stated, Glin did get to 2 of the last 3 finals and Carrig on their day can be a match for anyone

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast